Tejon, here I come!

socalkid

Reaction score
Well, i'm pumped. My dad and I have decided to head up to tejon on thursday, camp, and continue hunting on friday. I think i'll start with my bow on thursday, and depending on how well it goes either stick with that on friday or switch to my muzzleloader. We will be hunting in the south zone. Hopefully the weather is good and the pigs are out. I have read as much as i can (especially on this site) and feel that i have the basics of hunting hogs covered. Any additional tips would be appreciated, and hopefully i will post a good report next week!

Speckmisser

Reaction score
The most important tip I can offer...

HAVE FUN!

Seriously, don't forget why you're there. Other than that, get up high and glass.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
socalkid,
Go and look into the thick stuff walk down the spine of the ridge and go slow. I see pigs all the time in the canyons with thick cover. You will see bones in the good draws don't forget to listen for pigs squealing. I have had good luck on 2 Friday hunts just listening into the thick and sometimes deep canyons.

Another note If you miss the first shot be ready for another pig to pop up and give you a shot, this happens all the time while rifle hunting. They don't know where you are and just stand there looking to see what is making all that noise and that's when you have your second shot.

Good luck and remember to have fun.....you have until 9/1 to put your pig down.

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
I'll second what JMB said.

Last year I clanked a couple of shots on a nice hog at the mouth of a side canyon in Beartrap. It boogied back into the draw and I thought the game was over. No way, a few seconds later about 8 hogs came blowing out of it right towards me. BOOM - easy 50 foot shot into a sow's forehead.

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
I concur on what these guys are saying. Get up high, Glass and walk SLOWLY down into the canyons and STOP and LISTEN...Goodluck to you...

EvBouret

Reaction score
going real slow and listening seems to work the best for me. Little different hunting styles though

bigworm

Reaction score
If you make a stalk, pay attention to the wind. Watch for wind changes when you reach the ridges. And have your dad push the brush for you while you watch on point later in the day.

greyghost10

Reaction score
Enjoy your time there. Seriously beautiful place. I still remember my first pig (Taken last year) at Tejon like it was yesterday. I was totally jazzed. And while I was gutting it in the dark , I saw a huge hog walking only about 10o yards away. Obviously the shot did not scare all of them away. Have fun. Save some for me because next year I will be back.

socalkid

Reaction score
thanks for all the info guys!

Well i had a great time up at the ranch. Thursday evening was amazing. After finding a nice looking ridge my dad and i went out to find a spot to hunt early friday moring. All i took was my bow. Well, as i passed by a huge oak tree with a big pig trail running by it, i noticed how torn up it was. My dad was further up the ridge catching up to me. As i was standing by this basically overgrown tree/hog bedding area, i heart a grunt/snort kinda noise and instantly a HUGE brown with a little white board bust out and runs not five yards from me at full speed off down into the thick stuff! I never thought these animals could move so fast. Even if he had stopped and offered a shot, i never would have been able to draw my bow cuz my heart was beating so fast! I was pumped after that. I was like DAD DID YOU SEE THAT?! and hes like yup and look theres more. Over on a little finger ridge about 90 yards away a group of a small young boar and two sows (one was a really cool black and white pattern, the others were all black) came out of their cover and slowly walked down a trail into the "thick stuff" away from us. It was about five thirty and we still had a whole other day to hunt. It was exciting. If I had my muzzleloader or rifle i could have made that shot. Well after that we glassed a few pigs on the opposite slope and headed back to camp as it got dark ( i busted another mean sounding boar just as it was getting dark). After a cold night and getting woken up by turkeys (also a first sound for me...gotta love it!) we drove up Beartrap rd. and looked but didnt see one hog and not as much sign as our other spot. After going to gormon for lunch we returned and hunted our previous ridge. We glassed one hog hanging out with a group of cows for about 45 minutes while the cows worked toward us but eventually the hog dissapeared into the brush and the cows came up to five feet and stared at us. I guess they knew i had a pig tag not a cow tag!

Well even though i dindnt get a shot off or kill a hog im glad....cuz that means i get to come back again!!!

and yes, i had a GREAT time...probably my most fun hunt so far!!!

One Track

Reaction score
Hey Kid:

Great write up! Kudos for carrying the bow. Sounds like you're hooked. Glad you and your Pa had a great time.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Good job on finding the pigs....better luck next time!

I'm trying to get there the weekend of 11-13 on the northside.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom