Tejon June Archery Hunt

Shot

Reaction score
Just spoke with Barbara to confirm this hunt. It will be on the weekend of June 20th. Anyone here going? Would be nice to have a group of JHOers at this hunt.

dwagoner

Reaction score
Im not sure but i know "hunt crazy in ca" AKA Bruce is going on a pig hunt there soon, prolly the same time as your talking about. Is it all sold out or can you still get in? i would love to go and i think its not expensive is it?

Shot

Reaction score
No its not sold out yet, I don't know how many spots are available though. The cost is $300.

dwagoner

Reaction score
thats the one that hunt crazy is going on, he has a few going with him but not sure how many.

hifi55

Reaction score
I'm signed up +1. Should be a great hunt, probably hot wx but who knows with Tejon. Be seein ya guys there!

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
$300 thats a great price. Although that would be my gas money for the month with gas prices as they are.

dwagoner

Reaction score
DAMN i talked to hunt crazy last night LOL im gonna talk to the wife and see what she thinks, maybe ill try and go. Kinda short notice for me but thats ok my bow is ready, just have to see about it. Kinda a do it yourself hunt but thats definitely a great price for a porker!

hifi55

Reaction score
You gotta go dwagoner!

Yeah its DIY but there's 100,000 acres of prime hog country to play with for 2.5 days and plenty of other helpful hunters and always good intel from Barbara and staff to help you get your pig. For $300 its one heck of a deal. This will be the first archery POR they've done, but usually for archery stuff they try and give you extra info/help to increase success. Will be interesting to see what the final % will be and how many hunters show up. They average 40% for the rifle PORs.

The wx should be warm with the hogs frequenting shady areas near water. Last weekend I saw tons of fresh wallows in the shady creekbottoms, although with the wintery wx that came through they had moved elsewhere for the time being (they were all over).

If you've never been to Tejon this is the cheapest way to get your feet wet. You may not tag out but you'll learn the lay of the land, see tons of wildlife including lots of pigs, etc, and be more up to speed on your next hunt.

There's 2 archery PORs next year as well, same price, one late january, one early june.

FWIW, I have sunday plans so I have to leave saturday night missing all of sunday and I still consider it a great deal... especially if I should be so lucky to tag out Friday night :)

Ok, if that doesn't sell ya I don't know what will
Really, hope to see you and a few other JHO'ers there! I'm no pro but if you need any help feel free to ask...

Hunt Crazy In Ca

Reaction score
Yes ser re, ill be there for sur bringin up lil bro with me, shut as a junior hes only 150 bucks!!! I sre it will be a blast an hope a few more JHOs get in on it , Seet damien you going up again, you camping on the ranch?..........Hey Dwag......its time to pony the f@&% up, and get in on this hunt......LOL!!!!

Shot

Reaction score
Application is in the mail. Its my first time there and my first archery hunting so I have a lot to learn. What I am expecting to take home from this hunt is knowledge about the terrain, at least put one stalk on a pig, and most importantly have an awesome time. If the stars align right maybe I will come home with a pig.

Man I can't wait. Probably will be day dreaming about this hunt every day at work. Freaking archery is so damn addicted and I haven't even tagged anything yet. Can it possible get more addicting?........................ I am afraid to find out.

hogassasen

Reaction score
Oaky, enough reading of this post. Everytime I read it it just fules the fire, so im in. Long time hunter here but rookie for archery this will be my first time archery hunting so im in the same boat as Shot. Also will be first time on the famous TEJON RANCH! Cant wait. I'll start packing tomorrow.
Anyone with camping advice?

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I hunted Tejon in June a few years ago, be up high at first light or you missed the pigs. They are leaving water heading to bed at or before first lght. You will be stalking bedded pigs after an hour past shooting light.

I am not kidding, be at the top of whatever canyon or ridge you are hunting at first light, or you should sleep in. But you will see a ton of pigs, hopefully within bow range.

Even in June there is a ton of water there so the pigs are not totally concentrated like they may be some places, but are grouped up pretty good from what I have seen.

Look back in this forum and the hog forum for a thread by OneTrack and I from June in 06, I believe, we hunted there on the North side with Don Smith.

Good luck.

hifi55

Reaction score
Camping: The campground is right around the corner from the north entry/check station off Sebastian road. They usually have someone there to let you and start setting up camp if you arrive a bit early. No water, no dumpsters, two porta-potties. Bring plenty of water and trash bags... and keep on the lookout for rattlesnakes. Most POR camping guys bring trailers but a few tent it. As long as the wind isn't howling it should be nice either way. There is also the option of getting a room off the Laval rd. exit or Grapevine exit. I have stayed at Ramada at Grapevine a couple times, its about $75/night and takes about 20 minutes to drive between the room and the ranch's check station. You'll be required to get your 'day pass' from the check station before you head out into the hunt area each day, and will need to turn it in at the end of the day (so they know who's still on the ranch). Once you've turned in your day pass you can come and go from the campground to the ranch exit as you please (get gas, food, go to hotel, etc.) I'm not sure yet what I'm gonna do but since I am only staying over Friday night I might just sleep in my truck at the campground.

Also, its gonna be dry so be extra careful with fires and do make sure you carry a shovel in your truck just in case. Never go off-road, its too easy to start a fire and is definiately against Tejon's rules.

For those who haven't been on the ranch before, I plan on checking out some of my spots mid day on Friday checking for sign, and would be happy to take a couple hunters for a quick tour of the ranch, back at camp by 3pm to get ready for the evening hunt.

bearclaw's right on, you need to be at your glassing spots before first light and starting at about 5pm (maybe even a little earlier), this is when you're gonna see 95% of your pigs. I have seen them moving late sometimes (like 4 hours after sunrise) but its rare, usually they are bedded quick. They are all over the friggen ranch, the more area you can glass, the better. During the day is a good time to drive around and get familiar with roads, and do some scouting for sign. Might also bump some bedded pigs mid-day if you find the right areas (been seeing them lately about 2/3rds the way up hillsides, right before they drop off to steep stuff, on the spines under oaks).

Also, bring a good pack and some rope. There are plenty of nasty areas to have to recover a pig out of. Can't count the number of pigs I passed on because it was just too hard a haul-out. They seem to like to run straight down hill then ROLL all the way to the bottom of whatever hell hole you've found them in! Just be ready for a hack-n-haul and you should be fine.

Shot

Reaction score
I planned on getting there by noon on Friday so at least I could spend a few hours on the ridge tops scouting the place out for the evening hunt. I have no clue where to start, but from reading old posts it seems like almost every canyon may hold a few hogs. I'm not knew to hog hunting, have killed several on public land, but this archery thing puts a whole knew perspective on things (I love it).

Hifi55, maybe we can meet up on Friday. I will be at the campsite in a white explorer.

This goes out to any JHOer who is going, stop by because I will have some bomb-ass BBQ we can all enjoy (and real beer).

dwagoner

Reaction score
I wonder if its ok to just go for the day with someone? i really wanna go but i dont think it will work in such short notice. But seeing there are other times in the future i can plan for those definitely.

hogassasen

Reaction score
I'm with you Shot, (real
) Also want to get their early enough to scout and get a game plan together. Any info from Hifi55 would be awsome. I think I'm just going to tent it as it will be cheaper than a room in town gas is already puttin a dent in my wallet. Plus I need to save for a pig mount

hifi55

Reaction score
I'm down with the real beer too
!

I'm in the silver dodge ram megacab and/or my buddie's white ford ranger, will look for you guys. I'll probably be there around 7am. The confirmation letter says checkin between 8am and 11am (no later). Come early!

Shot

Reaction score
I didn't know we could check in that early, if thats the case then I will try to be there right when they open. I only live like an hour away.

hogassasen

Reaction score
Cool. I should be their around 10a.m or so. I will be in a black Toyota Tundra. I shouldn't be to hard to miss I will be the guy with a big

Latest Posts

Top Bottom