Tejon June Archery Hunt

dwagoner

Reaction score
cant wait to see the final numbes, hearing the 100+ temps now im glad i didnt go!! LOL i hate the heat

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
I recall some of those canyons!!!!!Sounds good shot!

I think it's a lot harder hunt on the northside due to so much land looking like BLM land. I mean like the new future state park.

Shot

Reaction score
First off I want to thank MJB for the great advice/tips. I owe you one, big time.

Friday. I got to the ranch at about 10:30am and quickly set-up camp underneath a small tree. With the temps being near 100 degrees by the time I finished camp I was soaking wet, nevertheless, I couldn't wait to start hunting. Once orientation was done with I grabbed a map and heading for the ridges. I basically drove around for 4hrs trying to figure out the ranch (Ya right, this place is huge). Like you guys have stated before water is not a issue there, almost every canyon held water with pig tracks. After all my driving I finally picked a spot that I liked and decided to be there around 7pm.

So about 7pm I hike to my spot and sat underneath a oak tree and starting glassing. About 20 minutes later I spot a nice size black pig across the canyon. Now, since this was my first archery hunt and I wasn't after anything big, but after seeing this pig across the canyon my heart starting to beat 10X faster. I didn't care that it was in the high 90s or that the pig was on another ridge (those canyons are leg killers), I went after it. Well, by the time I got there the black pig was no where to be seen. I started to hike around a little and about 30 minutes later I heard something working its way towards me. It was a pig! Man was I pumped. I quickly put a tree between the pig and I as I started my stock. I got within 10-12 yards and stopped behind the tree, waited a little, then noticed she started to work herself towards me. At about 4 yards I come to full draw, calmed myself down and right when I was going to release the arrow I notice movement from the corner of my eye. I held off for a few seconds and out comes about 6 football sized piglets from a near bush. I waited some more all while at full draw. I was hoping that another sow will step out of the brush and clam these piglets, but that was not the cause. They all ran towards momma. At this point I have a family of pigs 4-5 yards away and they have no idea I'm there. I put down my bow and grab my camera and snapped some pictures. It was the coolest experience. Well, it was getting dark and I didn't want to be stuck in the canyon at night so I decided to hike back to the truck.

Saturday. I woke up at 3:30 with only 2hrs of sleep and I was all pumped up. I got to the same ridge at about 5 am and starting hiking to my glassing area. As I was getting my pack off I heard pigs working right under me in the canyon. I checked the wind and heading after them. By the time I got to them they were all ready moving. I got within 50 yards of them, about 8 pigs, but they never came out of the thick stuff. Tried to work them from different angles but I never got a shot. So that was it for Saturday morning. It was getting hot and I had a long ways to hike out.

Saturday night I decided to work the opposite ridge. I couldn't get a clear glassing window from this ridge so I would glass a clearing and hike to a different vantage point and glass some more. Around, 7:45pm I get to a small canyon that looked real promising. As I am working myself through this canyon I upon some thick brush that had many tunnels cut into it. I decided to wait a little to see if anything comes out. About 10 minutes later I hear movement from inside the brush. I position myself to what I believe would be a good spot for a shot, wait some more and out steps this small boar. I quickly range him, sweet, 24 yards. I didn't have a clear shot but he was working himself to a clearing a little further down. I quickly range some objects nearby for reference and just waited for him. At about 15 yards he presents a broadside shot. I come to a full draw , check my site level, set my 20 yard put just above his chest line and before I knew it the arrow cleanly passed through him. He took about 5-6 steps and fell over, he rolled about 20 yards down and came to a stop on a dead fallen tree. I got near him and he stood up, quickly nocked another arrow and hit him again. The second arrow put him down for good, the boar was pinned against the tree with my broadhead stuck deep inside the hard wood and my fletching showing from the entry side of the boar. The first arrow would of killed him since it was a double lung shot, but after hearing about hunters losing pigs deep down in the canyons I didn't want to risk it so I placed the second arrow in him. It was getting late and I had a long hike to the truck so I quickly field dressed him, tied him to my 2800 and started my hike out. By the time I reached my truck it was already dark, I was dead tired and hungry. My pig wasn't to big, he weighed in at 46lbs, it didn't matter to me as I was filled with joy just to be able to harvest an animal with my bow. Besides, after that long hike I was glad I didn't arrow a big one, lol. By the time I weighed him and chatted with the hunters at the scale it was already 10:30pm. I was too tired, or should I say lazy, to make dinner, so I drove into town and ordered 2 double doubles from IN and Out and ate like a king.

Attachments

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Nice.....stick him to the log and you won't loose him!

Glad I could help!!!

What was the total kill for the weekend?

Shot

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MJB @ Jun 23 2008, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What was the total kill for the weekend?[/b]

I left Sunday morning, at that time a total of 7 pigs were taken (out of 48 hunters).

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shot @ Jun 23 2008, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MJB @ Jun 23 2008, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What was the total kill for the weekend?[/b]

I left Sunday morning, at that time a total of 7 pigs were taken (out of 48 hunters).
[/b][/quote]

At 15% there should be alot more pigs next year if this firearm ban goes any further.

dwagoner

Reaction score
congrats!! how big was it? maybe i scrolled thru to fast but looks like a nice chunk of pork.

Kentuck

Reaction score
Sounds like a great hunt. Congrats on your first pig and bowkill.

Hunt Crazy In Ca

Reaction score
Ok well here is my story,Get there at 8:00am friday morning with lil bro, Damien(hifi55) and dennis. WE WERE PUMPED!!! so we go through orentation and they tell us our hunt doesnt start till 12:00....
Ow well me and lil bro get camp set up, and we all shoot some arrows and shot the shit for a bit. Well 11:40 guess whoes trucks were sittin at the gate.....
So off we go, we headed up to hays canyon and we all took turns walkin DOWN the canyons to the bottoms were we had a ride waiting(thanks again damien and dennis) so on my last trip, after i got picked up I was sitting in the back of the truck tring to hold on and I just happened to look over and thought I seen a hog....I was out of that truck and was gone! When I got to were I thought I seen the one there was nothing there but I pushed on ever so quietly a fewe min later I heard that ow so beautiful sound and they were not to far away. So I go up the hill and start side hilling cause I tink i know where the sound came from. I did not here a thing for a half hour.....and then one little piggie spoke up. i was proubly 25-26 yards awy from them, i got to 8 yards from them and could see the tree movin and hear them in there, so with arrow knocked locked and ready to rock! the waiting begain....about 15 min or so go by and all of a sudden that %$&#!*@ wind dicided I wanted to go a diferent way, so the tree erups im at full draw i peek over and there they go over the ridge! So I take off runing after them and there now walking about 80 or so yards down hill.....like and IDIOT I throw a hail mary shot...
After I shot I wanted to kick my own ass cause now I had to take a srait down hill hike to get my arrow!!! to make things nicer when I get to my arrow and move all the branches out of the way it is buried about 10 inches in the dirt and wont come out......WELL it wont come out cause it is stuck in a fallen buiried LOG!!! sooooo I finally dig the log out and break it off and Hike up the hill with my log trophy
.....Heres your sign
So on to Saterday morning headin up haul road we turn on a little tube track and take it up as soon as we get to the top a GOOD group of hogs are 32 yards in front of us stop the truck get out and it was just to dark to shoot......5 min later there would of been screamin hogs....O-well. So At around 11:00 we head back for aome lunch and zzz's ya right way to hot even in the shade! Did I mention yet that we were both one solid mosqito bit yet....yea throw that in there too! We were still lovin every bit of it!!! So saterday evening we head out and we get on hogs there is about 12-13 one sow 5-6 piglets one ral nice calico boar and the rest were all around the 100-120 pound range, well there movin out ahead of us at 100 yards so we follow for 500-600 yards and we would loose them here and there and then we found them but only the calico, so we are sneken up on him we get to about 50 yards and he goes in a thick low hangin tree so we get to 20 yards to the tree and just get ready and a red hog comes out, we could hear all kinds of pigs in there, but ol red came out so i wisper to lil bro and tell him here we go buddy, on the count of three were letin um fly!!! Well ol red got hammered!!! the tree erups pigs everywhere!!! but no second shots offered. So I find blood right away, good blood! full of bubbles, so were off 10 min later its dark, flashlights come out follow it 50 or so yards more and just lost it......I could not belive it I figured that thing would of been piled up no more then 50 yards.... So we decide to pull out come back in the am. We get back to camp and dennis got one up in the catskins, a nice 109 ponder.....damn road hunters...LOL!!!!! :moon So back in the am find a lil blood here and there lose it again, well in the middle of all this i hear hogs so were off to the races these things were in the nastest brush, logs, sticker bushes you could imagine, i can see them movin around in there but there is no way to get a shot, so finally i just try and spook them toward lilbro hopin he would get a shot, no do you think they would come out of that shit, ow hell no the would just go back and forth and never come out. SO BACK to the blood trail we go, now im on my hands and knees tryin to find blood, but i was findin blood again so we were movin, we followed the blood trail in total for 400 or so yards and I just could not find any more blood.....I was bumed, I think most of all lil bro was bummed a hole lot more. So as a last ditch effort i did some death circles and as I started to get in some thicker brush all of a sudden the bushes start movin and gruntin.....HOGS...again..... so I haul azz over to were lil bro is ....still lookin for blood and he lookin at me like i found the hog..... i tell him i found more hogs so were off and runnin, i send him on the outher side of all the brush hopin to push pigs to him.....NO same thing would not come out.....I let off a couple of coyote howls and they lost it........but still would not come out this game went on for a hour or two and finally we just threw the hat in cause it was now 11:30 or so and it was atleast 140 degrees out....... In all we had a blast I think lil bro had a good time and he will be back as well as myself, damien, dennis
had a blast with you guys lookin forwaqrd to some future hunts!!!

dwagoner

Reaction score
Saw a pic from one of the guys hunting there in Sportsmans last night, guys name was steve i think??? bug guy with a 140# black porker.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Love the story of the hunt.

Those damn pigs have a way of getting your blood pumping, not to mention those hills.

hifi55

Reaction score
Hey yall,

Here's a belated cell-phone pic from the hunt, Dennis' 109lb dressed calico boar, 45 yard heart shot...

He was in the catskin area Saturday night when he spotted a group of pigs from the road. Stalked up and got this one, the largest of the group. He went all but 5 yards and piled up and the other pigs started nipping at him for a while, then he rolled down the hill a bit ending up within 15 yards from the road!

Attachments

Latest Posts

Top Bottom