Tejon Limits April 11.12..2008

rdrrm8e

Reaction score
First I want to thank all who offered advice and tips prior to our first Pig Hunt. You guys were great!

So we headed up Friday morning and checked in just after 0800, got registered and just walked around to meet some of the other guys and try to get some info on the North section where we were to hunt.

Orientation was just after that and we headed out to get the lay of the land about 1000. We headed up as it was already in the 80's and heading for the 90's. We checked out Crimnson Ridge area and ended up finding the Bano area later in the day.

We set up around the canyon and after a couple of hours we each started walking until sundown. We met back up at the Jeep and were unloading the guns when a nice sow came running down the canyon and ran across the road not 40' in front of the Jeep.

Greg was the only one with rounds in his gun and he took off running after it, got set as it was running up the other side and made a nice shot that hit the gut on the run. The pig disappeared over the ridge and the chase was on as it got dark fast.

He crested the hill and soon I heard 2 more shots. Second shot broke a leg and one in the heaad finished it. 160# dressed at the scales

Had to gut it and drag it in the dark and back to camp by 2100

We headed toward the same area on Saturday morning and spotted a pig deep in a canyon traversing upwards. We drove ahead and set up in the next canyon. She came right thru and gave Jim a nice 150 yd shot broadside.

One in the gut and 1 thru the ham stopped this one for a finishing head shot also

Gettin' it up the hill

We scouted most of Sat. afternoon and put a plan together to be back in the Bano area 2 hours before dark. Since I was the only one without a pig I took the center knoll which let me see all 3 canyons coming down to the road. Jim was glassing one side. me up the middle and Greg to the right. 10 minutes before end of shoot Jim spies a sow across the farthest canyon. I am crawling to a flat rock, set up the bipod and see the pig.

"I can't take that shot!"..."It's way over 400yds".

There is no way to get closer and I know it will be the only shot I have. I'll probably take some crap for this....but I shoot my Ruger M77 over 400 at the range all the time. I am confident in my skills. I was prone and on the bipod. And it would be my only shot of the trip.

I took it and nailed the meat pig dead in the left chest. She dropped and rolled about 15' and tried to get up. I hit her the second time in the shoulder. Jim thought I missed so I shot a 3rd time and hit it just under the right shoulder blade. She was done and I was STOKED!

First hog and the longest shots I have ever taken on an animal. High fives all around and some serious hootin'!

The rig

Scouting

The group

Hunt Crazy In Ca

Reaction score
SWEEEEEEEET!!!! good job guys you were wackn-n-stackn!!! Good shooting also!!! congrats some good eatin.....let us all know where to be for the BBQ!!!..........

Flatbroke

Reaction score
Contrats, 3 confirmed shots at 400 yards on a moving object is very impressive.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
400 yards! Can't argue with success... nice job.

Were any of the sows wet?

What was the count when you guys rolled out?

rdrrm8e

Reaction score
The first sow (greg's) had just a shot of milk when we gutted her. Neither of the other 2 were.

I honestly couldn't have determined beforehand on either pig. None of them were sagging and the grass is about teets high right now.

Is there a trick to this?

Speckmisser

Reaction score
The only way to be sure is to sit and wait until you can see for sure... which is real tough to do this time of year with the high grass. The little ones are real hard to see, and I've seen wet sows feeding as far as 50 yards or more from the babies... but never for long. Kinda tricky when you have a long shot, and I've come awful close to shooting wet sows out there too.

Tejon is kinda picky about shooting wet sows, but different folks have different opinions about it. For me it's just a personal, soft-hearted thing. Kill one wet sow, and odds are good you've killed the whole brood unless there's another wet sow in the herd. You probably got that whole spiel during orientation, though...

Anyway, you guys did great...especially for your first pig hunt. Congrats on that again!

kcravnit

Reaction score
ok guys well i was there as well this weekend, can you say freakin hot....my truck said 97 deg at 530pm..this iy first trip as well to the north side and i must say it sure is beautiful up there.we didnt see a whole lot as far as piggies compared to the south where i saw at least 60 on my last trip. w saw a few on sat am near cordon ridge but at over 1000 yrds...and no way to get to them. sat night we went to the west and had two buddies that had pigged out in the am helping us out with scouting...we came up on a group of piglets with 3 large pigs one with 3inch plus tusks on one side. the bigger pigs were down the side of the moutain but we werent 40yrds from the piglets. 9 of them, some were 25-30lbs and a few were 5-10lbs all were eating on there own and playing up a storm till wind shifted and they winded us and shot down side of the canyon into thick brush heard some big snorts then they shot up the hill over the road inbetween us both....no shot..
and that was the last we saw of the pigs.....better luck next time..still thinking about coming up on the jho hunt in may....hope its cooler....

Mt Goat

Reaction score
Great Job on the Hunt, CONGRATS on the Pigs.

Larry Lowell

One Track

Reaction score
Outstanding work! Looks like you guys really know how to get the job done.

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Good job guys!!!!

I was on the south side last weekend the heat was not bad but the 20 mph winds were a pain in the ASS for bowhunting!

Saw over 40 pigs, and every hunt had an opportunity for a kill but it just did not work. We either pushed too fast while they were bedded down or the wind would swirl just as we moved within bow range.
We did find 3 new honey holes which is nice to have for the next hunt.

kcravnit

Reaction score
we were in the giant white dodge and the lil ridgeline...we talked friday afternoon coming down cordon ridge..

aaron r

Reaction score
Was also there this weekend. We talked to you Sat. nite. Just wanted to say thanks for the info on the Bano area, we ended up taking one out of there Sunday morning.

hifi55

Reaction score
Congrats on the hogs guys!

Well I had another great time at Tejon, but ended up pigless again.

Friday I started scouting around noon and found a fresh area that was pretty thick and shady, figuring it would be good to walk through with the bow in the evening. At 5pm I worked my way up slowly, traversing back and forth up a finger glassing around in what little open areas there were. Near the top and about 6pm, I heard pigs really close just over the little ridge and got my arrow knocked. With the wind just right I slowly moved into position but just then a shot rang out about 200 yards away and they jumped. Looked like a nice boar and 2 big sows along with about 6 other medium sized ones. Was about 20 yards away when the shot was fired.

Saturday morning I hooked up with a guy and his son from Nevada and we took both trucks up Haul road for a little spot and stalk. Found a group of mostly smaller pigs but at least one large sow (no piglets) work their way down a ridge under a big oak where they stopped and bedded. Perfect. We decided that they would setup across the draw around 200 yards away and his son (with rifle, who was going for his first pig) would look for a shot opportunity after I flung an arrow. So I stalked my way to them but unfortunately it was very steep, was a bit disoriented and I came up the wrong side of the tree upwind of them. Busted em within 15 yards. Fortunately the larger sow stopped around 100 yards later and I heard the shot from across the canyon. It was almost a 300 yarder and he missed. About 30 minutes after getting back to the trucks we found another group watering down in a creek. We did the same thing, and I worked my way towards them. This time they ended up doubling back towards me and I got too close before I was ready and busted em. Another lost opportunity within 15 yards. That afternoon I headed back out to Friday night's spot for some more scouting, and ended up staying out in the same area for the evening. Unfortunately bumped into a pair of hunters (who had quite a bad attitude I might add) and they insisted that I leave the area at once, towards downwind, as they already 'claimed' the area or something... whatever. Then they started charging (where I was originally headed). O' well. I was having too good a time to get upset over it. Saturday nights hunt was over. I worked my way back downwind and darkness was approaching. Apparently they tagged out that evening.

Fortunately the young one from Nevada got lucky Saturday night and shot the biggest pig of the weekend, a nice sow at 167lbs, right in the heart at 150 yards. Got her just at dark, they dressed her out but a recovery could not be made that evening.

Sunday morning I assisted them getting their pig while hunting along the way. Got to learn how to skin and quarter a hog, fun stuff :) Saw a group of pigs too far away to get too. The evening yielded nada, but did see plenty of pigs (I couldn't get to).

All in all another awesome hunt at Tejon, learned so much and met lots of great folks. Didn't count but I'm guessing I hiked over 3000 vertical feet and about 7 miles. Starting to feel like I'm getting in better shape! Roads were great and the megacab did surprisingly well. Got to see many areas of the ranch I hadn't before.... Totals for the hunt: 11 pigs taken from 33 hunters.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Sounds like fun. It's a tough call to hunt with a bow during one of the public PORs, but cool to hear you stuck it out. It's also a shame you had to run into some jerks... but they're everywhere. You made the best of it.

Keep at 'em! You're doing the right things.

Top Bottom