Telephone cord wires impossible to solder

big tom

Reaction score
I just bought some regular old spiral wound telephone cord at Radio Shack to wire up the Canon and noticed after stripping off the insulation that the copper wires are incredibly thin and appear segemented but are actually wrapped around a core of some type of fiber.  It appear to be impossible to solder this thin type of wire, and deal with the fiber on the inside, yet Jesse's instrucions and picture for the Canon wiring  say to use telephone cord.  Any advice appreciated.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
bigtom,

That telco cord you have uses what is called "tinsel wire" It's a a pain to solder, but it is possible. It is used on microphone cords and telco cords to keep the wire from breaking in repeated pulling.

I also listed #24 or #26 AWG stranded wire for wiring up the shutter. I've been using the #26 lately with just a short run to the connector to keep the camera usable outside of the game camera housing if necessary.

I'll pull the telco cord info off the webpage since it is harder to work with.

gantley

Reaction score
Rat-Shack should have a replaement mic cord.  If not give me a haller and I will look around for an old piece of junk fer u.  

Buckoholic

Reaction score
Big Tom
I ran into the same problem with the phone cord. I had to slowly twist the wire from the core thread and then gently solder it in place on the camera. I used a magnifying glass to help in the unraveling part. The wire is very small but works well since the contact area is also small. I like the advantages of the telcord for using the camera as a stand alone piece.

big tom

Reaction score
I think I'll take Matt or Gantley's advice and use old Mouse or Mic cord. God knows I have plenty of that around.  Thanks guys.

robNhood

Reaction score
I use the very thin phone wire. You know, the wire that hooks into the phone jacks on your wall. I'ts one strand and works great when I used it on the Owl PF.

Top Bottom