Tell me about blue grouse and mt quail

hunter mike

Reaction score
Hi,

I live up in Redding and usually hunt just deer.  This year I am expanding to quail.  I have heard too many people talk about how good eating they are, I gotta find out for my self.  

I have an ATV and it sounds like most folks here hunt them by cruising around.  If anybody has other ways to pass on I'd appreciate it.  As far as blue grouse I seen a big one in a tree back in may in Modoc co. off a logging road.  Are they good to eat?  What do they taste like?  I have never cleaned a bird but have read on cleaning them here plus talked to people, so I have a basic idea.  

If anyone is from Norcal, let me know the better area to go west to Trinity Co. or east to Lassen/ Modoc area for quail.  Thanks!

Whoadog

Reaction score
 The only thing I hunt "cruising around" are mountain quail and grouse because where I hunt them it is so thick and steep you really can't use dogs.  For valley quail I wouldn't hunt them any other way but with my three dogs.  We take off from the road and hunt most of the day.  Try any National Forest adn after time you will learn where the coveys hang out, good luck!

Brian

idaho

Reaction score
Blue Grouse are very good to eat. Here in Idaho they like to hang around the rims of deep canyons. To clean them you just skin them and then clean them just like you would a chicken.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Mike

I see a lot up above Whitmore on the  timber Co. land.

I tried getting them by myself last year but Mt. Quail are tough to get alone. Saw a load of the about half way up the dirt road going to Kilarc Res. No. East of Whitmore. A ATV would be the way to go.

Drop me an E-mail if you need another gun to chase them down.

hunter mike

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your response.  I was wondering, is grouse white meat?  Does it taste simular to chicken?

The season opens the same day as quail so I will probably look for an area I can find both.  Thanks for the offer E A.  I may get in touch later as I don't know when I will be able to go for sure yet.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom