Tents...is a couple pounds worth it?

hotdog

Reaction score
So I'm a newbie to backpack hunting, but I'm determined to do it this season along with a buddy of mine. I have been spending countless hours looking at different tents. I found a couple Mountain Hardware tents that I like. The Helion 2 and the Skyledge 2.1, weighing in at 3lbs 12oz. and 4 lbs. 5oz respectively. My brother has a Cabela's XPG Ultralight that weighs in at 5lbs 6 oz. Now the Cabela's tent is roughly 2 lbs heavier than the other tents. I like a couple features of the Cabelas tent...ie rain fly vents to prevent condensation. But I like the light weight of the other tents.....suggestions? The Cabelas tent is cheaper...do i save weight or money?

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I have that Cabelas XPG tent in 4 man for truck camping. That thing is really nice. It's built tougher than a lot of tents costing a lot more. I really like it. But regarding your question, YES, 2 pounds is a lot. You will usually find that the better quality lighter stuff is definitely more expensive. Check out the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL line.

JNDEER

Reaction score
questions i asked myself when i went through the same process was when would i be going? and were? personally i will probably only stay in CA hunting archery using it....so the ultra nice rain guard tents were not soo appealing to me... so weight was what i was after (plus it had to be a two man)... we went with a 4.1 pounder...not the lightest but price and weight are ok.......dividing up your load with a hunting buddy will really help

hotdog

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I acctually almost bought a BA Seedhouse 2 SL when i first started looking, but i figured i should look around some more. That REI is a pretty good looking tent and the price isnt bad either. I'm not it a big hurry to buy, so I'm going to keep looking and research as many options as i can. Thanks again.

easymoney

Reaction score
"Tents...is a couple pounds worth it?"
Defintely! Tents are but one of three of the heaviest itmes in anyones backpack, and if you are serious and can afford it going lighter for the money is well worth it. Better made and lighter, should last you a lifetime so the cost is really averaged out in the long run.

Top Bottom