Test equipment

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
What do you use for testing curent draw especially when you get down into microamps?
I have a fluke 97 but it doesnt seem to respong fast enough to catch accurate readings during a sensor cycle.
Also, do your use a power supply or batteries when checking current?

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I use the Fluke 87 which is a great MultiMeter.  It reads the microamps very well and very fast with Max and Min capability.

I use the nine volt power supply from Radio Shack.  I got it on sale.  It plugs direct into the nine volt connectors for a standard nine volt battery.  I use regulators on my designs for the 5 volt supply to the board.  I also have one built into my test boards so the nine volt power supply can be plugged in there too.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I have several digital meters but the one I use most is a bench model I built from a kit in 1979.  I'm not sure how low it will read (in micro-amps) but the Low scale full deflection is 200 ua's (& 200 mv's)  I have a few analog meters too, mostly Simpson 260's for when I want visual continuity indications, like when testing Diodes or transistors for shorts, etc.

I usually use batteries when testing current, too lazy to get out the bench power supply and repair it  ha ha.  

I also have a couple oscilloscope's but seldom get any of them out either.  I kept all the equipment from when I had a TV/CB Repair shop (for 10 years)

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi shrtcirkt,
I use a cheap "no-name" digital meter for most uA measurements - kinda slow 2 second "refresh" time on the display.
If I have a need to measure fast signals, I break out my ancient analog meter.  Lots easier to see what's happening & when - but not as accurate in the uA scale.
>>>>
I use batts when testing a circuit just so more of the "real-world" operating conditions are simulated.
>>>>
Tinhorn ... A COUPLE 'scopes !!!?  I'm jealous!!  :)  Took me years to scrounge up the one battered old scope that I have...

Archilochus

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
A scope for personal use.  I am jealous.

I have to borrow one from work to get to use one.  Of course, not on company time.

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll have to give my fluke another shot it....

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Check out EBAY ofter for deals on Oscopes.  I picked up an older HP 20Mhz dual trace scope for $60.  Works like a charm.  You will still need a good amp meter though.  

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I have several "O"scopes,  and really like them.

I don't think its a fluke or an HP, and I diddnt know you spelled it with and O, guess its silent like in opossum.  

Now down in the southern part of the state  they still run a lot of dogs and the cuntry's real thick, so some of them boys are hanggin on to their buckshot.

Top Bottom