Test your Upland knowledge:Whats a snow cock?

sean english

Reaction score
A while ago, my cousin and my good hunting buddy, told me that some friends of him are going Hunting for "Snow Cock"
I, an avid hunter and ornithologist (not to mention a regular in the upland forum at Jesse's), (actually took an ornithology class when I was going to SDSU in the 1990's and enjoyed it more than any other class during my college years), confronted him and said that such bird does not exist. (If it did, it should have come up in Jesse's by ya'll) We made a bet:$100
Guess what:It might not exist in lot of places but it sure does in Google. I wasn't able to find a whole lot of pics of it, but it does exist. Take a look at this article "The Rarest game bird in North America". Apparently it lives right here in California too. Any way, next time you talking with your buddies, driving to your honey hole, hunting birds, you can ask them if they know what "the rarest game bird in america" is.
Anyone wants to go and look for them sometime this season, let me know .
Here is the article. I will post pics if I find them on the net. http://www.nevadadventures.com/pics&st...s/snowcock.html
By the way my subscribing to a thread does not work any more. Can someone help me ?

Attachments

Whoadog

Reaction score
The Ruby mountains in NV is the only place they exist in the US. The are from the Hymilayas. There have only been a few hundred of them killed since they opened a season on them in I believe the early eighties. Go the Hunt Nevad and you can find more I am sure. You have to hunt at about 12,000 feet and they are very elusive.

Brian

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
You or your buddies get one Sean, and I'll mount them for free.

BIGCIM

Reaction score
Wow Sean we should take up that offer
Your uncle metioned he seen some didnt he

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
There are several threads here over the past years on Snow Cocks. Several members here have hunted them. Hit the search.

If you are having trouble with the forum PLEASE use the HELP forum at the top of the list for info and help.

reno17

Reaction score
My buddy from Battle Mtn has shot a few-has one mounted but it is much more ruddy/cinnamon/brown that the posted picture shows. Its just a really cool bird. I have not hunted them as of yet.

sean english

Reaction score
Reno
If you post a picture of this Mystery bird for me, I would really appreciate it. I read somewhere that we have it in the Sierras too.
Brian
No, his friend was going to hunt them. They had no luck. You need to be really committed and not to mention in good shape, to get these birds.

Glass eye

Reaction score
One of my customers just invited me last week to go with him to hunt them this season. He works for CA DFG and is a JHO member. He has also taken CA ptarmigan and I just mounted his AZ Gould's.
I'm tempted go with him, I bet he can find them.

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
they appear to be a part of the many grouse families?

Great looking bird, regardless!

Keep doing your homework, and count me in on your first trip?

BIGCIM

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Brian
No, his friend was going to hunt them. They had no luck. You need to be really committed and not to mention in good shape, to get these birds.[/b]
Just call me Lance Armstrong

sean english

Reaction score
Thats great. I have been biking more than I ever did in my life and loving it. Last week I rode to downtown to show a couple of properties.:23 miles. then during the week, rode from Culver City down Ballona Creek to Marina Del Ray:17 miles.Saw some Mallards (few chicks) I even ordered Metro Bike Map. I am telling you,not only its a great sport but also I am saving on gas doing my errands. Bike is the way to go. You got that Griffith park next to you, use it.
I doubt if I will be doing any hunting or even camping until the season starts. I might drive up to the Sierras to scout for the Chukars but that would be it .
Lefty wants to take rock dove shooting but killing the birds in the summer when for sure they are having chicks or eggs, is just something I don't fancy.

sean english

Reaction score
Lefty is
The Crow destroyer
,the pigeon Killer
, the dove buster,

He specially hates the eurasians (which we did not have the pleasure of coming across last year)good for the doves.
I tell you, when lefty starts his car in LA in dove opener, doves fly for Argentina. "Lefty is coming. And hell is coming with him" is what they tell each other.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom