Testing the Olympus camedia d-370 digital

Dbworld

Reaction score
I've had the Olympus Camedia d-370 Digital on Brian's 35mm chip and board for 13 hours now.  Which means I'm wired into the shutter only.  No on-off.  It didn't go to sleep in roughly five - six hours of inactivity with the 7 minute refresh (though I knew it wouldn't) and it took a picture this morning.  The Battery meter is still reading full.  Which I think we are in agreement quite often doesn't mean a whole lot.  To be "on" for 13 hours is unheard of in a digital camera.

I think it would still benefit Battery-wise with a 1 -2 hour refresh though. It's still too early to tell if this is gonna work long enough.  If the the power saving mode lets 4 aa's last a least a week then I think this camera is going to be a winner.  

I still need to test the flash and stuff.  Tonight I will be doing this taking some night time pics and see if it will benefit from a slave flash.

Still way too early to tell....but so far this camera is getting me a little excited.

Anybody want to buy a Kyocera EZ?  It's all wired up and working on Brian's Digital chip.

(Edited by Dbworld at 5:43 am on April 30, 2002)

(Edited by Dbworld at 5:45 am on April 30, 2002)

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
PLEASE test it without the slave flash too. Really am considering one and would sure like to know how it does, and what REAL range the built in flash has.

Butch

(Edited by ****** at 11:24 am on April 30, 2002)

Dbworld

Reaction score
Some sample night time pics from the Olympus d-370.  I posted links instead of the pics because of the size.

10 ft
http://www.dbworld.net/ikonboard/images/upload/sample003.jpg
20 ft
http://www.dbworld.net/ikonboard/images/upload/sample004.jpg
30 ft
http://www.dbworld.net/ikonboard/images/upload/sample005.jpg

I tried the slave flash but unfortunately it didn't make any difference.  Camera must have the dreaded two flash sequence.

(Edited by Dbworld at 9:53 pm on April 30, 2002)

(Edited by Dbworld at 9:57 pm on April 30, 2002)

FLBowhunter

Reaction score
What about using a IR light that came on as soon as the PIR was triped?

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I would have thought that that camers with ISO of 100 to 400 would do better than that.   Matbe you will figure something out.

Dbworld

Reaction score
I agree. I wish the pictures were better.  But at least we are seeing something at 30 feet.  It needs a helper flash.  And the cheapest flash I can find that will account for a digital's typical two flash sequence is $99.    To be honest I haven't even taken any day time outside pics yet.  Today after work I will.  Just to see what it looks like. It's no canon or even close to my Sony Digital....but overall I'm still excited about it.

The fact this is a digital camera that behaves like a 35mm is still promising.  Considering I only paid about $40 more than an Owl pf.  I'll make that up in a about 6 rolls of film.  Trade off is I'll probably spend it on batteries instead.  Although I'm still on my first set of batteries. (Still working this morning)  This is "on" with a 7 minute refresh for 48 hours and over 100 pics at the higher resolution with flash and lot's of looking at the screen in setup mode and looking at pics.   A two or three hour refresh is all it really needs just to keep it from turning itself off. And its by far the easiest camera I've ever had to wire into. And after wiring and drilling a small hole in the case for the wires is fully functional out of the game cam box.  

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Db, I adjusted the brightness and contrast of the 30' one, and your deer poped out as good as at 10' or better. My Nikon has some white balance problems w/ flash that I have to correct each time, and it's not a problem. If the 30' shot was with the camera flash, THIS CAMERA WORKS! I couldn't get this to work with the Kyocera pics Brian e-mailed me. I'm getting one if that was taken w/ the camera flash. Please let me know.

Butch

Correction, not quite as good, I got excited, but I can count how many points it has:dancinred:

(Edited by ****** at 6:02 am on May 1, 2002)

Dbworld

Reaction score
Yes it was with the camera flash.  The slave didn't sync up at all.  So I didn't post them.  

Note also that I had the camera's setting at night flash (has 6 flash settings, auto, red-eye, always off, always on, night and night redeye).  The night settings I think are the solution to the problem the kyocera has.   I also had the white balance set to as bright as it would go.  These settings are saved as long as the camera is on.  With this camera you can actually leave it on (with refresh)...so you just have to put in the settings when you set up the cam.  I'm not sure how daytime pics will work with these same settings.  I'll find out tonight. I'm hoping they won't get too washed out.

I also planned on taking a picture of the innards and wiring of it when I rerouted the wires last night...but was in a hurry and forgot.  It's really simple though. The only thing I really did wrong when taking it apart was I missed the deep recessed screw next to the viewfinder...which I ended up breaking.  No biggy though.

Dbworld

Reaction score
I just decided to bring those pics I posted up here at work and they are really dark at 30 feet (I can't see anything) and 20 feet.  On my laptop at home I could see them a LOT clearer.  On my laptop the 30 foot looked much better than the 20 foot on my work computer.  Strange.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Do you know whether one would fit in a Pelican 1120 box or if it would need a 1150? Should get paid on a couple of cams I made for a guy today or tomarrow, and I'm going to get started on one.

Butch

Dbworld

Reaction score
The camera is a pretty close to the same size as the Owl.  I don't know too much about the pelican cases.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Db, I don't either. Looks like it ought to fit though. Sorry to be pestky, just getting digital fever I guess.

Butch

Dbworld

Reaction score
Me too....

Funny thing is I looked at these pictures at home last night and got really excited. they weren't great like an owl but I could easily see the points and all of  the 3d target at 30 feet on my laptop computer with no editing.   I could even see fence poles for my grape trellis that were 23 yards away (i practice my bow here so I know it's 23 yards).  Then I read some of these negative posts about the pics and was surprised until I brought them up on my computer here at work and then I understood what they were talking about.

Dbworld

Reaction score
no not yet....I did buy another one today though.

Are you talking about night time pics??

(Edited by Dbworld at 6:56 pm on May 2, 2002)

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I wish I could find one here for what yall are paying. Can only find any at Best Buy, and they wan't $169.99+tax. Oh well, could be worse.

Butch

Dbworld

Reaction score
$117 at kmart going out of business.  I got one and a buddy got one.  I'd of bought both if the b*stard wasn't with me.  I also got three 16 meg smartmedia cards for the ones I have for $11.

I've found the d-380 on the net for $199.  It's the same camera but 2.1 megapixels instead of 1.3

(Edited by Dbworld at 7:23 pm on May 2, 2002)

Top Bottom