Texas Operation Game Theft Rewards

If you reported a Game theft problem or violation would you want a reward?

• 1. Definately would since I reported it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. I would but would also donate the money to TPW.

• 3. I would never take a reward for doing the right thing.

• Total voters

shadow

Reaction score
I personally have reported several violations but I have never asked for or recieved a reward for doing my part in preventing poaching. I feel like it's everyones responsibility.

This was taken from Texas Parks and Wildlife Newsstand online publication.

Nov. 25, 2002

OGT Group Gives Out Reward Money; Many Refuse It
AUSTIN, Texas -- Despite a shaky economy, many Texans who provide information about wildlife crimes are not cashing in on their deserved rewards.

'Operation Game Thief' is Texas' wildlife crime stoppers program and offers rewards of as much as $1,000 for information leading to an arrest and conviction in a wildlife crime. Begun in 1981 as a result of laws passed by the 67th Legislature to help curtail poaching, the program is a function of the law enforcement division of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. About $160,000 in reward money has been paid so far.

Callers to the OGT line (800) 792-GAME remain anonymous and recently, quite a few have said they don't want a reward. During the six-month period ending Sept. 20, 24 callers said they did not want a reward.

"While more than half of the total callers reporting violations to OGT request a reward, of those who provide enough information to make a criminal case, the number requesting a reward is less than 50 percent," said Buddy Turner, assistant chief of wildlife law enforcement. "Many folks tell the dispatcher that they are not interested in a reward, they would just like to see the violators apprehended."

At its fall meeting recently, the Operation Game Thief committee decided to give $3,500 in rewards to callers who provided information about an antelope slaughter and more rewards totaling $4,275 were authorized in other, unrelated cases.

The violations involving the antelope occurred in December of 2000. TPWD game wardens learned of the crime from firefighters who responded to a grass fire west of Kerrick that was related to the killings. When wardens arrived on the scene, they found evidence that some of the 24 antelope had been run over with vehicles, resulting in broken legs and other serious injuries. And some antelope had been shot at close range with shotguns.

Ten people were convicted of various violations against in that case earlier this year. State and federal law enforcement officials have called the case the single largest illegal killing of big game in Texas in many years. The group as a whole had to pay $12,600 in restitution to TPWD for the value of the animals. Fines in the case totaled $23,500.

If you have any information about a wildlife crime, please call (800) 792-GAME.

Top Bottom