Texas or South Carolina

AZ Jim

Reaction score
I have a couple of hog hunt opportunities. One in Texas and one in South Carolina. I don't know the specific areas yet. Just some offers from friends and family.

Anyone hunt either ?

What is the better hunt ?

Are the hogs different in each state ?

AZ Jim

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
If I had to choose, It would be East or south Texas.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
i would vote for s.c., larger hogs,i dont think there are as many as in texas,but ive seen some real
bruisers come out them s.c mountains and swamps

bpnclark

Banned
Reaction score
You’ll probably have more to hunt in TX than in SC (bobcats, Javelinas, coyotes…) and the best part is they are all included on your license with nothing else to buy. But one of my dream hunts is a Southern hog hunt in a swamp.

Tough choice.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Thought I'd replied to this one...

Anyway, are you after quantity or quality?

TX has more hogs and more liberal regs. If you wanna fill the freezer, a good hunt in TX is more likely to get you there. You've also got reasonable odds at a big boy, especially a "barr" hog in TX, since there's a lot of folks there who like to catch 'em and cut 'em.

SC does have some pretty big hogs, but they're generally harder to come by. It'll almost all be treestand hunting over bait or chasing dogs. You can spot and stalk in those swamps too, but most folks down there prefer to sit tight or put the hounds out.

If I had to choose, I'd go to TX. Then again, I spent most of my life hunting the Carolina swamps (mostly NC, but some hunts down in SC too) so I guess I've been there, done that.

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
Good point speck,
I had boot camp in Ft Jackson,SC 1977 and spent alot of training in the swamps. I didn't see any hogs back then
because I was to busy training. My drill sergeant was from the area and thought they weren't seen to much.

Boar hunter magazine did a write up on Hog populations nations wide and Texas won it by a land slide. California came in second. I dont remember what issue.

AZ Jim

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys !

I should know by the end of next month where and when we are going.

I will keep you posted.

AZ Jim

Latest Posts

Top Bottom