Thanks for this forum

Gator

Reaction score
This is one of the best sites I have found on the net. I bought a Buckshot 35 a couple of years ago and I have more fun taking pics of the game than I do hunting but I couldn't afford another camera. Before I found this site I made a game camera of my own although it hasn't been in the field yet it works great here in the back yard just testing it out.
I went to radio shack and bought a pir sensor I am not positive of the model, but it worked off 12v no modifications needed. this model has a switch that is normally closed, but opens when tripped. I bought a 12v relay and wired the - side through the switch on the pir and then to the relay. There is a constant 12v to the relay that keeps the relay open until it is tripped then it closes and snaps the picture, and then there is a 30 second delay before it resets itself. There were no modifications needed to anything except the camera. My question is with the constant 12v needed to keep the relay open, will this cause a problem as far as the durability of the realy? I used a ammo box for my housing I only have about 35$ in this setup not counting the camera.

gizz

Reaction score
Actually Gator I believe this will have no affect on the relay since it is Normally Open. Only until it receives a signal to close the relay will it actually do anything. The constant 12v is used to power the PIR while it is waiting for a trigger. Post some pics of it and the camera your using if you can and good luck with the unit.
gizz

Gator

Reaction score
Hey Gizz,
With my unit the pir has a constant 12v and so does the relay, I hadn't found this site at the time I built mine so I didn't know about any of these other setups. My pir is a 12v radio shack sensor (not sure of model #) the sensor has a normally closed built in relay and a built in 30 second delay, so I wired a 12v source to the sensor, and then I ran a separate (neg) wire to the field side of the pir that is normally  closed and then  to the camera relay, then I ran a positive wire straight from the relay back to the batt. So the way it works is the camera relay has a constant 12v to it that holds the relay open and when the pir is tripped the relay in it opens thus removing my negative side to the camera relay it closes and the camera is activated. With this setup I didn't have to modify anything. But the only thing I am worried about is since the relay has a constant 12v to it , how long will it last?

gizz

Reaction score
I misunderstood/misread the original post. With the NC relay you will have a constant current to the coils of the relay to keep it "OPEN" until tripped. This probably will significantly reduce battery life and It can't be good for the relay either. I would look for a replacement "Normally Open" relay that would fit.
For now you could leave it as is and let us know how it works out.
gizz

Top Bottom