The .17 Remington

Freedom

Reaction score
I am looking into purchasing a new gun and the "new" .17 HMR in the Marlin 17vs has caught my eye.  I don't know much about these rounds other than they were developed as wildcat years back for varmits.  I see that they have a little more "umph" than the .22 mag and are supposedly effective out to about 200 yards.  

I am basically wondering if anyone has any experience with these guns and could shed a little more light on their "varmit killing efficiency".  I mostly just hunt chucks, but am considering getting into yotes as well.  I'm from NW PA and don't really have the need for a gun that can shoot 500 yards, those shots are few and far between.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

(Edited by Freedom at 1:22 pm on Feb. 18, 2002)

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Freedom-
  I've been looking at it as well. I'm sure whether or not it is a good coyote round will be debated for years.
  My opinion is no. I know it will kill a coyote, as will a perfect shot from a .22 pellet gun or a .22 RF. Will it kill reliably and consistantly??? Only time will tell, but I don't think so. It does have more "umph" than a .22 mag as far velocity goes, but the bullet itself is half the weight, and from what I have read ,is designed to blow up on impact.
  Looks like a cool little round for fox sized game and smaller, but I think .22 hornet and up is where you should look for a yote caliber.
Scott

Freedom

Reaction score
Thanks grtwythunter.  I was wondering that.  I've killed a bunch of big old woodchucks from 100-150 yards with my dad's .22 mag and that was before they made the ballistic tips.  He shoots chucks with those and it leaves a pretty big hole in them!  I'm just looking for the most "bang" for my buck and since I'm not into predators I'm not sure I want to drop the extra couple hundred dollars on the .22-250 I was looking at.  Plus I can shoot the .17 for $12 for 50 rounds whereas the .22-250 would probably run me like $16 for 20 rounds.  I guess maybe I'll get the .17 and use it for chucks and squirrels for now.  If I get into predators I can always bust out the .30-06 until I really get into it and decide I "need" something flatter shooting.  Thanks for your help!

songdog

Reaction score
Scott is right on.  You can kill a coyote with it but you will loose many more than you kill over time.  It's just too small and any shot at a distance or an even slightly misplaced shot will result in a wounded and lost coyote.

8lb grey foxes are probably the top end that I would use it for.  Not bobcats, they're too rare to call in to risk loosing one with a .17HMR.

It also has less "oomph" than the .22 WMR.  It may be going a little faster but it's shooting a bullet that weights less than half of the standard 40gr WMR bullet.  That means that it would do very well on something like a ground squirrel where penetration of any kind isn't an issue and you just want the most explosive effect you can get.  Bigger critters... they'll just get away wounded.

It's just an opinion, but I think that the .22 Hornet is the minimum for a coyote gun.  Not that you can't kill them with smaller, but I think that you can pick up a .22 Hornet and go coyote hunting out to 150 yards or so with a clear conscience.

Freedom

Reaction score
Songdog,

Thanks for the reply.  I kinda thought that this was going to be the consensus.  I guess when they called it a "varmit round" they didn't have coyotes in mind.  I'll probably still pick one up for use on squirrels (the kind that climb trees) and woodchucks.  I got more use for that then anything, and the .30-06 won't leave many wounded coyotes because of lack of penetration!  Thanks again.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I know of three people that are going to be testing after market barrels for the round one being a member of this board. I think you may wish to hold off on the marlin till after the testing is done just some inside info.
Like most have posted the round is going to be a Fox and smaller round and my not be that good for meat hunting with it being a V-Max round. If I know the guy that is going to be testing it we will know before long.

Freedom

Reaction score
Thanks Wildbirdhunter, I won't be purchasing this gun for probably a couple months.  Just doing my homework on it now so I'll definetly keep my eyes open and see what others who have tested the round think of it.  Thanks for all your help!

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Freedom,

I believe everyone who has posted has it about right.  This new rimfire round was not designed for coyote sized game, more for pest/varmint control.  With the exception of the .17Rem (centerfire) I agree that the .22 Hornet is probably the lightest caliber you want to go.

WBH,
Shoot me an e-mail offline or give me a holler tonight at home if you got the time.  I got some results from Hornady's barrel tests.

Later all!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom