The best computer map program?

Elk Bowhunter

Reaction score
What is the best mapping program you have seen and /or used? I have TOPO USA and just ordered their 3.0 version. It has the entire US on 6 CD's. I have also go the Maptech CD set for Texas and it has 17 CD's for JUST Texas. The Maptech is awesome, but I am disappointed in the TOPO USA. In fact, I will be returning it for a refund. Is there a better program out there that I have not found? The TOPO USA does not have the details that the Maptech has. The Maptech has a lot of editing capabilities that TOPO USA can not match. What is your favorite program?

E

EdMcNierney

We don't make mapping software, but we do make maps!  Some folks like to use mapping programs such as Fugawi (www.fugawi.com) or OziExplorer (www.oziexplorer.com) that work with topo maps you have to find and download.  If you use software like that, the TopoZone has a subscription service (not free) that lets you download custom, seamless topo maps of anywhere in the US that load right into that software.  You don't need to buy a new set of CDs for each state.

If you just want to look at the maps on the Web or print them out for your own use, that IS free.  We created the first topo site on the Web at http://www.topozone.com and we're always willing to listen to suggestions - if you don't like what you see, let us know!

Personally, I use OziExplorer because it's got a lot of great features.  It doesn't do elevation profiles like some of the others, but I think those are mostly pretty pictures that aren't that useful!

- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com

K

Kevin Watson

<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from EdMcNierney on 10:43 am on Mar. 19, 2001

If you just want to look at the maps on the Web or print them out for your own use, that IS free.  We created the first topo site on the Web at http://www.topozone.com and we're always willing to listen to suggestions - if you don't like what you see, let us know!
- Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
TopoZone.com<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

Ed, I couldn`t locate topo maps for the cold country ... Canada?  :D

Richard Webb

Reaction score
Hi Elk Bowhunter,

I use OziExplorer for Scanned Maps & MicroDem for my Terrain Visualizations.  For hunting here in California my terrain visualizations are far more useful than any Topo map.  Click below to see a few samples of my hunting maps.  The UTM Grid Lines, and some map features will only show up on a full screen size map.

Click Here

Tinhorn

Reaction score
EdMcNierney

I thought I recognized your name....

Nice to see you here on Jesse's site,  I've enjoyed Topozone since about the 1st week you were on line.  

Thanx for the Free Topo Maps

Tinhorn

fishhead

Reaction score
I purchased a copy of Map Trails BLM software recently.  Check out their website and see what you think.  In July they are suppost to release a topo program that works with the BLM software that has 7.5 minute topo's.  

Topclamdigger

Reaction score
I'm using Maptech Terrain Navigator; and recently, JDMCOX aerial photo software thanks to a tip found on this forum . I've been able to do some interesting e-scouting since both programs interface with a GPS. Let's call this e-hunting.  

GeorgiaHunter

Reaction score
OziExplorer here! Great program. I have completely mapped my hunting lease including roads, foodplots, stans, you name it and can download it all to my GPS. I even mark my trailcam sites and can embed pics in the map

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom