The Best Pheasant and Dove Hunting in 30 Years!

Droopy

Reaction score
The Best Pheasant and Dove Hunting in 30 Years!

Desert Wildlife Unlimited and Leon Lesicka need one last push to put final touches and help hang the chicken wire over the frame that we put in last week.

This Sat. June 22nd 7:00am                        
                                           51 West Rutherford Road
                                           Meet at Gibson Tools drive to the back
                                           West of hwy 111
                                           South of Calipatria
                                           North of Brawley

Leon was able to get enough chicken wire like material to cover the 100’ by 300’ pen.  The work will be in the hanging.  We will nail the ends of the 150’ by 3’ chicken wire rolls to one side and stretch it over the poles that hold up wire supports then attach to the other side.  We,  “About 30 guys from all over California”, including: DWU members, Quail Unlimited Chapters, Pheasants Forever, Duck Hunters, people who read Ed Zieralski’s Article in the San Diego Union Tribune and some good people from http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com.  We installed the telephone pole main supports, the 2 x 6 frame and metal pole wire supports last week. Most of the Guys got there at 7:00 am and started right in even though Leon had boxes of donuts waiting. With 30 Guys, the work that we could do went fast and was over by 11:00 am.  DWU supplied an incredible Carne Aasada Buffet lunch with the works.  They also supplied water and soda.  So come as you are with some pliers to attatch the chicken wire strands to one another using rings and a small ladder.  Bring your Map because after lunch Leon will give a personnel tour of the incredable fields he has made for public hunting.  You have no idea how much land and the different fields and crops he has planted.  lets just say his fields could support 10,000 hunters that all are welcome, just like the good ol days.

Leon wants me to keep a contact list so email drewp@cox.net or call SDQU at (619) 669-3739 and leave a message and call back number.  Or keep up to date at http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/ go to the talk forum for upland game and read the updated post.   If you can not make it but want to support Desert Wildlife Unlimited call Leon Lesicka for other info at (760) 344-2793.

tinner

Reaction score
Droopy, put in some directions for me,i am not familiar with the area and i would really like to come down and lend a hand. it also sounds like some great hunting area and i would like to earn the right to hunt it

JustBob

Reaction score
You can get a map out of Yahoo maps using
51 W Rutherford Rd, Brawley, CA

tinner

Reaction score
thanks bob i'll look there. i also saw droopy's earlier thread and with the two i shouldn't have any trouble. i wanted to bring my brother-in-law,bigtroutbane but his wife is due today or tomorrow. he will be busy

foulshot

Reaction score
Drew,  You know that I would love to make it out there, but with the wife about ready to pop I'm limited to a 25 mile radius from her.  Once the little one comes along and everything is back to normal I'll have to permission slip signed to go on field trips.  If I can help monetarily in any way let me know.  I'll definately be in for the release of the birds when the time comes!!

Cazador Suerte II

Reaction score
I am going to try to get out there for this one.  Anyone else going out Friday?  It would make some sense to try to get started a little bit earlier than 7 to beat the heat.

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
I can't be there in body, but I'll be there in spirit. I was really impressed with what DWU has been done with the money has received. After the last work day the tour of the fields was great it's nice to know of some areas to hunt if the waterfowling isn't all that great at Wister.

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
I'd be there if I was in town this weekend.  Got to make a trip out to Ohio for work.  The good thing is that the Cabela's in Dundee, MI is about 1.5 hours from where I'll be working.  Stop your drooling - I'll take some pics.  It's only 225,000 square feet of hunting paradise!!!

(Edited by FullSack at 11:51 am on June 20, 2002)

MapMan

Reaction score
I will be there on Saturday to help out and get familiar with the area. I plan on hunting Dove and Quail out there this season. I would imagine the Pheasants won't be old enough to hunt this season. Looking forward to meeting some of the JHP people as well.

Droopy

Reaction score
I talked with Leon tonight and we are definitely a go for Saturday as close to or before 7:am.  A small ladder and pliers are good, Hog Nose Pliers for attaching rings to connect one run of chicken wire to another would be better.  He has laid into place telephone poles around the base of the pen to attach the chicken wire to.   He has requested an Air Gun Type Stapler with wide staples if you have them.  The more people we have side by side on ladders the faster we eat and BS.  Yes, he did confirm to take everyone on a guided caravan tour of his many planted “Baited” public fields to hunt, not to be missed.  Did you know he put in multiple ponds running right down the middle of one of his best-planted fields.  Leon is like a Mad Scientist mixing ponds with different rows of grain some even mixed grain. The head Fish and Game Officer in El Centro followed our Caravan tour so he would learn more about what’s going on.  After part of the tour he stopped and said, “looks like we put the cat in charge of the hen house”.  This is all legal but he also wanted to know how much he was going to cut off the top.  Remember he has to cut some but the huge heads of Milo are going to just explode with seed all over the ground.  Being so close to Wister it is going to be interesting to see how geese and ducks like his fields but hunting them would not be legal so be careful.  

See You There!
Drew P. with S.D.Q.U.
619-669-3739
AKA “Droopy” on JHP

MapMan

Reaction score
My friend just called and cancelled out for tomorrow. Looks like I will be driving solo out to Leon's place from the Highland/Redlands area. If anyone in my area needs a ride, or is driving past this way (the 10 freeway at Redlands) and needs a pasenger, let me know. I will watch for a post or email me at DRBY2K@yahoo.com. I was going to leave out at 4:30 a.m. Staurday.

Top Bottom