The closest you have ever came but didn't ?

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
My son and Law had just came back from tracking what we blieved to be one BIG ASS Buck, we basically did a loop around the the peek and end up back at the Truck. Well it was close to lunch and only 20 or so minutes from camp and a cold beer we decided to call it for Lunch, In the truck rifles in the cases and not 20 feet down the road there he is !!!1
Beautiful thick and wide 4X4 Rack. I throw the truck in Reverse and Back up to where we were parked, we get out and her he comes across a open area and right to the back of my truck !!!!
Both rifles in the cases and here he is, he gets to the pasenger side stops and is stearing a Bruce my Son in law. seemed to be minutes as I look at Bruce thru the open doors of the truck there it is his 45 on his hip and this buck broadside to him at maybe 8 feet. I montion to his gun, eyes the size of silver dollars he slips his 45 out and soon as it clear the holster a jeep comes up the road the Buck jumps and disapears.
The jeep passes with the radio blasting and a worn down, middle aged, bleeched blond bimbo at the top of here lungs says how stupid ! Hunting ? there isn't any deer out here anyways. and they move on.
A 200 + 4X4 Mulely with a 45 hand gun ! how great would that have been ? True story Guys

TheGDog

Reaction score
That would be shooting not just one... but two... arrows at this lucky bastard last year at 25yds and missing because I first chose the 20yd pin... then chose the 30yd pin.

The next day we learned our lesson and held directly in-between those two pins. Never to be repeated again.
09100004 - Copy (2) - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

VaderSpade

Reaction score
[h=2]The closest you have ever came but didn't ?[/h]
I was 16 and she was 15!

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
We were talking about Deer not Beaver Vaderspade

Doublewide

Reaction score
Inresting Gdog. A 25yd shot either pin should have got you in the kill zone. Must of had the fever. Happens to the best of us

Smithb9841

Reaction score
It was my first year archery hunting I shot a nice buck 3 or 4 pointer, made a good shot deer took off running well I leave to get my dad I was about 15 at the time. We head back to where I shot and there is blood everywhere and I’m thinking I got it. Track the blood up to the fence on the property which is against the public road. We then find a large pool of blood where he laid down and drag marks going under the fence out to the road where someone loaded hi

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
So sad, where is CSI when you need them, could have gotten Tire imprints and Direction and chased the MOFU down !

TheGDog

Reaction score
Inresting Gdog. A 25yd shot either pin should have got you in the kill zone. Must of had the fever. Happens to the best of us
First shot with 20yd pin... if I remember went just under him. The 2nd shot with 30yd pin... went just over him and thwacked into some deadfall a ways behind him.

Then while he was trotting away I got up from my stool to rise to try to knock another arrow and see if I could put one on him while he was about to run past a another opening in this story... but he instead turned into that opening to try and see what I was! I froze... hadn't gotten to grabbing at arrow yet... he turned to face his butt at me and looked over his shoulder... stayed their a bit... his tail started switching nervously a bit.. I figured it was then he scented me... moment later he made the decision to bounce outta there. I looked him over well as he left to make sure I hadn't perhaps hit him already and not known it. He looked blemish free./

The next day, that buck... I let it go... and saw the arrow when it passed thru a patch of sunlight en route to the target so knew it should be on target... but then... he just stood there... for a surprising amount of time... (I supposed from shock from the injury)... and then decided to bail... went down and across the gullie, around a tree on the far bank, turn around it and looked back toward me! I was trippin'! Like "OMFG... are you serious? I can't believe this, I KNOW I hit him!" but then... from there he turned to stott away, quickly turned it back into a walk/trot... as he turned thru a patch of sun I saw buncha blood on his hind quarters from the exit wound from the quartering to shot. I was soo giddy with excitement! Longest 30 minutes I've ever had to wait in my life!

Last edited:

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
So he layed down and bleed out?
This was last year correct?

Last edited:

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I have had a lot of good bucks that were close that I didn't get but here is an incident that happened about 30 years ago on FHL.
It was the last weekend of the season and one of my brothers shot a fork that was chasing does at first light. The buck as in a steep canyon and it turned out to be a difficult retrieve. It was really hot and after we got the buck back to the vehicle we hung it in a tree in a nice breeze. We went to sleep leaning against a couple of large oaks. We were there for 45 minutes when his wife yelled that there was a big buck really close. I looked up and a huge forked horn was staring at me from about 20 yards. I couldn't get my gun loaded and ready in time and after she yelled of course he ran off unscathed. Really big fork. We think he might have smelled the buck we had hanging and was coming in to check out.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
The part of when his wife yelled:
Hunting D14 had my Cousin out on his first hunting trip. we were coming back for the evening hunt and I placed him on the tip of a pinicle with really a great advantage down into the Bowl below, I took the truck across from him and was working a hill side and other end of the Bowl.
I get ijnto a good spot about the middle of the hill and sit of a little bit, then I Hear A DEER!! A DEER !!. looking up there is my Cousin and 10/12 of the guys from our Base camp, they all are glassing the to my left, SHIT there must be a buck on the other side of this 4 foot tall brush, so into gear I go belly crawling thru all this chaporell and spiny stuff. About hlf way I have to pell of my Day pack, I place in a small clearing I should have no problem finding after, and then make my way thru the rest of the brusk.
Also most out I can see movement about 30 yards down, I chamber a round and as quite ans in slow motion i snake to the edge of the brush. There he is not huge but good size with his butt to me, I get the scope on him and wait and wait, turn MOFO just a little, Finally ! he turns He? its a freaken Doe what the hell i think to myself? I look back across the bowl and there are the guys from Camp litterally rolling on the ground laughing their asses off.
So I turn around still crawling no way to stand and crawl back to my Day Pack, Remember my Dat Pack I put in a place it would be easy to find ? 2hours Later of crawling here crawling there I finally find it, cut to crap from the torns dirty thru to the Skin and in the dark I work my way back to the truck and go pick up my Cousin. Man you had it what happened I thought forsure you could get it !
After explaining to himwe can;t shoot does just the Bucks.
Back at Camp the reving and A Deer !! shouts from the dark took their tole and we packed up and left in the Morning. Sad My Cousin stll won't go hunting with me, But listen to the Guys Belly Laugh around the fire even got me Smiling it was hard not to.

Moskinyca

Reaction score
It was after I moved to Oregon Western Oregon general ElkSeason, my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] elk hunt ever a 4-day hunt. On the second day me andmy friend who has lived in Oregon most his life were on a logging property withwho knows how many other hunters, orange spots dotted on most of the hillsides. We parked the truck at the end of one of the green dot roads (roads thatthe logging company allows you to drive on) that had 4 other roads that wentoff in different directions that were not Green dot. There were 4 other trucks alreadyparked there and 2 of them had hunters in them. We took the road to the farright on foot that runs along a ravine that is on the opposite side of the roadwe drove in on. Along the way we see a lots of elk track and my buddy getsexcited because he starts to find chanterelle mushrooms. We made our way to theend of this road that at the end the ravine merges with another. The view was nicesome waterfalls and creeks down below. We glassed and watched the traffic onthe other side for a while. After a while I started looking around the hillside behind us and found some fresh elk droppings. As I was following thistrail my friend showed up eyes wide telling me this was good sign. We made ourway up to the top of the hill and found another road that had grown in withsmaller trees, some of the trees had fresh rubs on them this really got mineand my friends blood pumping. So we worked our way through these trees on thisroad as slow as we could. We were a couple hundred yards in when my friendfound another patch of chanterelle mushrooms. He started his foraging and Itook a few more steps maybe 10 feet further up the road. The road/forest wasstarting to get pretty think. I was looking head and about 10 yards out I see ashape lower to the ground that looked like it had antlers pointing up towardsthe sky. When the movement stops all I see is a stump, I pull the covers off myscope and try to find it. I look through the binos but cannot see anything. I’mgetting frustrated and move to a stump that’s right next to me and still can’tmake it out. It feels like forever then I hear a wispier “what is it” my friendhas looked up and see’s that I’m trying to locate something in the forest headof us that is so think you cannot see 10-20 yards beyond what in front of you. Itell him that I had seen something, he says where. I say right there in frontof us pointing. At this point we are both kneeling near the ground, he keepsasking me where, I stood up to point at the stump. I seen was a flash of brown andheard a quick crash before it was gone. My buddy started to chatter out ….. duhduh that was a 3-point elk 10 yards away. There was no way we could follow himthe grown over road was the only way we could make our way in here. We hopedthat maybe he would circle around and come back to the over grown road the waywe came in because we were at the end of it another 100 yards and it hit hillsides that had been logged recently. On the way back out we bumped into him againmy friend was paying a lot more attention now and it was me that did not see I’mbefore he took off. By the time we made it back out to the clear logging road Iwas deflated, just wanted to get back to the truck eat my soup and go home. Onthe way back my buddy stops and says look at that I told you I show you someelk. Across the ravine there are brown spot scattered on the hill side. Weglass looking for antlers has to be spike or better. As we are glassing I ask,how do we get over there. He says see that truck driving to the right fartherup the hill side that is the road we came in on. The truck goes down to thespot we parked turns around and is heading back out. It stops directly across theravine from us and it seemed like 10 guys piled out of it all glassing towards us.I ask my buddy what we do now, he says we find a land mark on that side of theravine turn around and walk off very slowly. We got around the corner and tookoff for the truck. When we got back to the truck and onto that road there wereother hunters, but they were not looking in that direction. We found our landmark and worked our way down the ravine, my buddy ended up staying back towatch the road because other hunters were starting to watch us. I got within20-25 yards of a pile of cows and calves but could not locate a bull. Theyended up getting spooked and took off up the opposite side of the ravinetowards the area we had just left. I could not believe how close I had gotten,at this time cows and calves were open during the archery season the monthbefore. My friend hunted during that time, so he was not hunting for this hunt.When I got back up to him I told him I was buying a Bow. I did buy a bow andthe following season they closed cows and calves, must be spike or better. So…..starting tomorrow we will be out looking for spike or better but we get a monthto do it.

I would see those antlers moving slowly to the ground every nightfor months when I closed my eyes when going to bed. I still see them when Ithink of that day, I will never forget it.

jvle95

Reaction score
IMG_0023.JPG
Less than 10 yards and he still got away, lol. Lessons learned.

Wino

Reaction score
I arrowed my first archery buck at point blank range. I think the fletching just cleared the riser as the broadhead entered his shoulder. Funny thing is I just wanted to get out of the house that day. SO I packed some snacks and a book in my pack and grab my bow as a just in case I saw something. I was sitting under a bush reading my book when I heard this buck coming slowly up the hill to me. I waited till he passed behind a tree to position myself for a shot and nocked and arrow. I thought he was going to take a trail below me about 30 yards. BUt nope he left the trail and came right up to me. I pulled back when he as between another tree and wait. He just kept coming to me. When I let go of the arrow he was close enough for me to see the ticks on his ear.

Last edited:

Ridn9high

Reaction score
I’ve have had numerous little bucks from 5-10 yards. The closest I’ve been to a buck that I wanted, and it didn’t happen, was 17 yards. This was a big buck and if all had gone right, would have be my biggest archery buck. I had him patterned and knew morning routine. Once the wind was finally right, I slipped into the area to wait for him to move to his bed for the day. Just like clockwork, he came up the trail and stopped behind a cedar tree. I had ranged the tree earlier that morning and knew when he stepped out, he’d be 17 yards. As I got to full draw, my peep sight tubing slipped off my peep just as the buck stepped out from the tree. With the peep sideways now and no way to see my pins, I just sat there at full draw, as I decided to not try the shot. I wasn’t going to chance wounding this buck because on my mechanical failure. Once the buck got to the next cedar, I quickly let off my draw, cut the bad part of the tubing with my broad head, got the tubing back on the peep, to try and get a 50 yard shot. The buck had noticed my movement during this circus act and decided to not stick around for the main event.

I had shot everyday for two months leading up to that day. Not one time did any part of my bow fail me. It just happened when I didn’t need to to. When I got home that evening, I went to the target and tried shooting it without a peep. Let’s just say if I did try that shot during the hunt, I would still be talking about the big buck that got away. I wasn’t even close to the kill zone of the target when I tried. I hit the deer target in the front left leg!

TheGDog

Reaction score
I have had a lot of good bucks that were close that I didn't get but here is an incident that happened about 30 years ago on FHL.
It was the last weekend of the season and one of my brothers shot a fork that was chasing does at first light. The buck as in a steep canyon and it turned out to be a difficult retrieve. It was really hot and after we got the buck back to the vehicle we hung it in a tree in a nice breeze. We went to sleep leaning against a couple of large oaks. We were there for 45 minutes when his wife yelled that there was a big buck really close. I looked up and a huge forked horn was staring at me from about 20 yards. I couldn't get my gun loaded and ready in time and after she yelled of course he ran off unscathed. Really big fork. We think he might have smelled the buck we had hanging and was coming in to check out.
What!? You're weren't sleeping with your loaded rifle nearby??... Next to same hanging "bait"? Meh... I guess that's a priviledge you get to have when hunting with others I suppose.

I am *NEVER* without some type of armament on my person when I'm out there. At ALL Times!

Them other critters can be just too damn quiet! Learned my lesson about that.

In fact... waking up from nodding off was how I got my #2 buck! Was nodding off on my Tripod stool... woke up, opened my eyes... saw a Doe running past at 20yds... went to alert status figuring it's possible a Buck could be by. Sure enough.. looked over with my eyes and WHAM!!! Instant Adrenalin rush!

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Makes one feel good to know they are not the only one to have things go wrong at the totally wrong time.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Here's another story from about 3 years ago. I think I posted this before but it appears to be gone.
On opening morning of rifle season there is a large granite rock I like to sit on to watch a big canyon. You have to walk a long ways in some low manzanita to get to this rock. I was sitting there for 30 minutes or so and heard someone walking up behind me on the same path I used to get to that rock. I turned around expecting to see another hunter and it was a decent 3x3 at about 20 feet. My rifle was in arms reach and when I moved he bolted around the rock and straight down the canyon. No problem I figured since I could see at last 700 yards. I got in too big of a hurry to go around the rock in the direction he ran and I face planted in the manzanita and plugged the end of my rifle barrel with dirt. I didn't even try to find the buck until I got my barrel clean and by then have no idea where he went.

Getting a string through your 7mm barrel is not easy. I now carry 6' of 80 lb. mono and I have found it is stiff enough to push down a barrel. I knocked most of the dirt plug out but I wouldn't shoot until I ran a patch down the barrel. I figured a bunch of sand would throw my shot off and damage the gun. Yeh I know a piece of electrical tape would have been a great idea. Hind sight is better than 20-20.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom