The deal with Rechargables

Possum

Reaction score
I was using rechargable batteries in the OWL PF.  They work great, BUT you will not get the date/time stamp if you use them.  I thought the Date battery was dead but after getting every cam out of the woods and checking the charge on the lithium date battery I found they were okay.  Every pic did not have a date on them. I will test tomorrow to find out if the rechargable battery ruined the date/time circuitry in the camera.  I doubt it did, but I will run a few pics to Wal Mart to make sure.

gizz

Reaction score
Hi Possum,
I was reading the OWL/PF manual the other day and remember reading that Canon recommends you NOT use Ni-Cad or Lithium batteries for the main camera batteries. Not sure what type of re-chargeable batteries your using but maybe that's why they don't recommend it. The manual says to use Long Life Alkaline only, although it doesn't get into anything technical. But thanks for keeping us informed of your results. I was thinking about going the re-chargeable route but guess I'll stick to the alkalines for now.  

Possum

Reaction score
I'll let you know if it hurt the camera.  My dad is an electrical engineer (design) and says it did not hurt it.  But, I will take some pics and let you know.  

Steiner

Reaction score
Possum,
I am pretty sure that the level of voltage that is obtained in the flash capacitor is a function of the battery voltage. Most rechargeables only have 1.2 to 1.25 volts vs 1.5 volts for new alkalines.  I would think the camera would work fine but the flash might not be as bright.  That is strange that it would effect the date/time stamp.

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
My guess is that the date stamp, although it is powered by the lithium battery in the back cover, receives it's signal to imprint from the camera itself.  If the date stamp chip in the rear cover is expecting a 3 Volt signal from the camera electronics, but only receives a 2.5 volt signal (using rechargeables), maybe it ignores the low voltage signal.  This is just a guess.  

I work a lot with 3Volt electronics circuits, and the lower you get with the voltage supply, the more critical the power drop becomes.  I have seen quite a few 3volt microcontroller circuits fail when the supply voltage gets near 2.5 volts.  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom