The Deer You Didn't Want

wedgy

Reaction score
Buddy hit a deer Monday night in Wyoming going 80 mph(the speed limit was 80), was nothing left of the velvet forky except some hide. He said it looked as if it exploded, just some hamburger left. Both he and his wife were bruised up pretty good from the air bags, both wearing seat belts. Infinity SUV was totaled says the insurance company. He lives and guides in CO and was happy to get back home.
Be careful !
Do deer whistles really work ? Seems about half say yes, half say no.

Attachments

Jake F

Reaction score
WOW! Glad they are ok. This is the time of year to be extra careful and watchful of deer. I'm starting to see the tiny spotted ones and they are crazy unpredictable. again, glad the everyone is ok.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
I've hit more deer than I can count (5 with one particular Jeep Cherokee) but I've never had one total the car. That must be all about speed.

IMO the deer whistles don't work. Sure, they probably put out an effect that deters the animal, but so do the headlights and I've never seen a deer stop and turn back once he commits to cross the road. I think it's more about the deer making a stupid decision rather than if they can hear and then avoid the noise of the whistle. They're already trying to avoid you and you can see how that goes. The whistles can't hurt, but my best defense is bright lights, moderate speed, most importantly, paying attention to the road as far ahead as I can.

Calif_Mike

Reaction score
Last year coming home from a four day hunt in D5 where we never saw a deer I had a buck run into the side of my truck on Hwy 4. $4,000 worth of damage.

Mass-n-trash

Reaction score
Last year coming home from a four day hunt in D5 where we never saw a deer I had a buck run into the side of my truck on Hwy 4. $4,000 worth of damage.
LOL, I thought I was the only one. Same thing for me...I saw a doe standing along side the road and slowed down to pass. Just as I got close she bolted across and, even though a pretty much came to a complete stop, she ran head on into my driver's door. $2,800 worth.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
I've hit more deer than I can count (5 with one particular Jeep Cherokee) but I've never had one total the car. That must be all about speed.

IMO the deer whistles don't work. Sure, they probably put out an effect that deters the animal, but so do the headlights and I've never seen a deer stop and turn back once he commits to cross the road. I think it's more about the deer making a stupid decision rather than if they can hear and then avoid the noise of the whistle. They're already trying to avoid you and you can see how that goes. The whistles can't hurt, but my best defense is bright lights, moderate speed, most importantly, paying attention to the road as far ahead as I can.
Interesting opinion and one that makes a lot of sense. Just to add another thought, they can hear your truck coming without a whistle anyway. Their ears are way better that mine and I can hear traffic go past my house when i'm sitting inside with the windows open.
My count is less than yours but I put the blame on the deer. I've been hit by three deer :)
One was a dead center hit when a running doe jumped over the guard rail. It was a split second from when i saw her to the impact, she was still in mid air from her jump. I was doing 55mph and the front of my truck was toast everything needed to be replaced from the head lights to the radiator, including the hood.

wedgy

Reaction score
If you've ever heard a fastball coming at you that's the sound a deer hears when a car is coming, just a hiss and some lights, nothing alarming so they just sit there....like a deer in the headlights. I bump the horn to get them moving, seems to work with most animals but as stated, the best defense is to be alert, slow down, don't swerve(if moving at sped if you do have on run in front of you.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom