The honeymoon is over

Tominator

Reaction score
All was well until I started redoing the wiring to remove the excess due to my new housing and now I have problems. I think my DPDT switch has bit the bullet and within 15 seconds of connecting my batt, the batt is extremely hot. I laid everything out and started going back over it and found that during the transition I had crosssed the wiring for the cam and the LED! While trying to get everything back in order I think the wires multiplied and now the thing looks like an octopi orgy. I locked it all up in my desk and decided to wait patiently for my power mod kits to show up from Hags and start fresh. If they're not here tonight or tomorrow who knows what might happen. Do the rest of y'all find yourself thinking about these cams 24/7 or is it just me?
Tominator

<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>
"When a man finishes, he is only beginning - and when he stops, he is as puzzled as ever."
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>
Amen!

(Edited by Tominator at 11:25 am on Aug. 22, 2002)

shadow

Reaction score
Good Luck.  I haven't had that happen yet.  YES this is very adicting...I have about 5 35 mm cams built.  I only started a couple of months ago.

shufigo

Reaction score
And I thought I was the only one obsessing! I can't drive by a Radio Shack without stopping in to try to find a discontinued 425 -- even tho I'd called them the week before.  I don't even get mad yet when my buddies ask if I'll build them one.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Yes Tominator it is very addictive. Wait until you start getting good buck pics. You will want another cam and another and so on and so on..... Where does it stop. HeHe. Good luck.

Wait untill your wife says :no no: then you know you are spending to much time working on cams.

Jimmy Jones

Reaction score
Speaking of making more camera's.  I have built 2, but  since now there are tree camera's for sale for the same price or less.  I'm just wondering if it's worth it to risk frying a $50 camera or anything else that could happened.  So my ? is, how much are you building these homebrew's for now?  I was spending around $100 on materials last year.  

I enjoy thrill of "building" these from scratch, but they are still expensive.  Let me know.

JJ

shufigo

Reaction score
Jimmy - What tree cams are you seeing? Only one's I know of in remotely the same ball park are the Moultrie IIs, and they're over a hundred.  If the price is the same (roughly), I'd go with the quality that goes into the homebrew.  See the Moultrie posts for their shortcomings.

bat

Reaction score
Jimmy I'm with shufigo, I attended our Ga. Buckarama this weekend and the ones I saw $ for $ were nowhere near the quality you can built one here.  ****** PF and parts, find a free enclosure (look around you can find one), RS on sale, if you happened to catch them while they were on sale....you could have built one for about $70. Compare that to the cheap camera models that are around $125...no way would I buy one of those.  Just my thoughts,   bat

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Tominator >> I think it's just you man..... Nobody else in here shows the same symptoms you do.....

Your cam looks like the insode to mine.... Yikes.

I showed a friend how to build them and when he got through with his I was embarrassed to look at mine. Darn he did good work. Only poblem was he kept having flakey problems. Mine worked flawlessly all year. Except when I set it up facing the sun. No problem with the Octopi Orgy as long as it works....

JimYates

Reaction score
Tominator, I haven't even got all the parts to build my first, and it's all I've been thinking about for a week now.

u turned em

Reaction score
Tominator,

DON"T GIVE UP YET, MAN!  You are probably like me and many others in that we do not have any real knowledge of electronics.......so what !  I fried my first MS20 the second night I was working on it, and 20 minutes later (at about 9:30PM!) I was at WalMart getting another and I went ahead an bought two ($8 a piece...you can afford to screw-up!).  Patience will pay off......for some of us it's learn as you go.  I finished my camera last night and it will be in the woods this weekend.  So what if it took me about 10 evenings to finish it.....the darn thing works like a charm and I can't wait for big buck pics.  Hang in there buddy!

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
The first may take a while, but after that, its a piece of cake. Hang in there, and we'll nurse you thru. Its the new ideas that make you scratch your head.

(Edited by ****** at 7:43 pm on Aug. 22, 2002)

Jimmy Jones

Reaction score
Well you all are right about the moultree.  It is the cheapest retail that I've found. Although I'm talking about my old secret/favorite store.  I use to live in Springfield Missouri, and could throw a rock at the Bass Pro Outlet store.  I bought my Buck Shot for $180, and could of bought about any camera for half the normal retail price.  The secret was to be there often and you can find just about anything.  It also helped that I personally know a lot of the employees.  They would call me when something on my wish list came in.   So basically, you could take 50% off of any camera in your Bass Pro catalog.  

I'm just addicted as everyone else to these tree camera's and would love to fill the woods with them.  So I"m just thinking of the best way I could do it.  

That's our little secret about the outlet store!!!  :lips-sealed:

JJ

Tominator

Reaction score
Oh No! not giving up by any means. Just regrouping for the next assault on the cam, it'll know who daddy is when the reinforcements from Hags arrive and we go back to battle!

Tominator

Arrowhead

Reaction score
Tominator >> I had a problem this week with my camera due to heat.

When I picked it up after a week it had taken eight pic's. The PIR was tripping the way it should. I took it home and it sat on the table for a few hours. Then I tried it again, and it worked fine.

The temps over here in Raleigh have been in the high 90's with a heat index over 100. I forgot that these PIR's will have problems when the temp gets that high. So it's not just the sun pointing into the face of the cam, it can be the overall air temp.

I didn't have this problem last summer when others did. Cam has been home for two days and it's works fine.

I might have to wait a week or so to put it back out there.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom