• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

The Mighty 2 Bore Boxlock M/Ler

CowboyCS

I am waiting on a couple of tools to finish the engraving on the Rifle, and I had a little time in between other projects, so I built the powder measure that will go with this rifle. The main body and the adjustable slider are steel, and the funnel, grip of the slider and set screw are all brass. The steel will get rust blued when I blue the rest of the rifle and it's accoutrements. It will actually measure form about 25 grains to a little over 500 grains, but it is marked on the slider from 3 to 18 drams in 1 dram increments.

Colin

CowboyCS

It took a while to finally finish up the engraving. There was a lot of metal to cover on this thing. I'll get better close-ups of the engraving when the rifle is finished, but for now these should give you an idea.

I've been busy today rust bluing all the metal including the accoutrements, so hopefully in a few days I will have pictures to post of it all put back together. And then comes the sighting in.......

Colin

CowboyCS

911 standing by. :skeered:

pssst. I can't believe all that engraving. That's just awesome!
Everybody keeps asking when they are going to get to see the videos of me shooting it, I think they are all just waiting to see me get my :mooning:stomped, boy are they going to be suprised when they see how well I handle big bores.

BTW thanks, the engraving isn't really full coverage or anything really complex, but man there sure was a lot of square inches to this thing.

Colin

myfriendis410

I'm with belch: if you need CPR or any bones set I'm not your guy, but if you need some 100 proof medicinal stimulus after, we can work it out......

Bulleye

WOW! That is an awesome looking gun! I want to see a picture of you with it and its first deer! Thanks for posting your journey building this gun. Beautiful work.

CowboyCS

Thank you Bulleye, but I won't be hunting anything with this rifle, I built it as a show piece more than anything, and eventually it will be for sale. Besides it's way to big for all but maybe Bison in North America and I can't afford to go to Africa. I would really love to give it a go against Elephant just once...... ahhh, day dreams.

Colin

CowboyCS

I'm nearly done with the rifle. All I have left to do is finish the front sight, what this really means is all I have to do is manage to work up a load and file the front sight down so it hits at the given yardage(50 yards) and then a little final bluing and it's finished. If I actually shoulder this thing for more than a few shots I may not be able to type for a long time after so I figured I better post these pictures now. Haha.

Colin

myfriendis410

Shoot it! Shoot it! Shoot it! Shoot it!

Looks great, man. Go find a cross-state freight train and shoot it in the running lights: that ought to stop it!

PaPaBob

Please do us a favor and set up a camcorder or Digital in video mode to capture the process of shooting this monster. . . . then post it here.

I have really enjoyed monitoring this topic. . . great work. . you are a master.

inchr48

That's one hell of a spud gun! How far do you figure it could shoot a tater?

One of a kind and a beautiful piece. Do you keep track of your total time invested?

After seeing the video of the barrel "proofing", I can't wait for the sighting in.

CowboyCS

Thank You,

No I never keep track of my actual man hours on a full custom build, if I did it would just make me cry to realize how little money I make per hour. :)
The only time I actually track my hours is when I'm doing repair work on somebodies gun.

Colin

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
I'm continuously impressed with this build. I'd like to shoulder it on an empty chamber just to see what it feels like to hold a small bore cannon at arms length.

Aw heck, I could get the same sensation holding a 31" mudder on a 10" steel rim at arms length couldn't I?

What's the final weight?

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Ya know, I read back over that and maybe I'd better clarify myself. I'm not comparing your work to a spare tire under any circumstances (except weight). Hee hee hee; reminds me of an old high school girlfriend when I say it that way.....

CowboyCS

Thank You belchfire. I didn't think you were comparing it to a tire, and that's funny about the high school GF.

Colin

CowboyCS

I was going to start working on load development today, so I could get the front sight finished, but I woke up to pouring rain, so I'll have to wait till it clears up. The upside is I won't have to worry about setting my pasture/Rifle Range on fire for a couple days.

I spent part of yesterday casting balls for this thing, learned a few things, like it takes a lot of lead to make any quantity of balls, I know that seems kinda obvious until you start pouring from a 20 pound pot and see how fast it disappears. When I cast the proof balls a while back I only cast enough to get the proofing done, so I wasn't really paying attention to how long it was taking to cast. Yesterday though I was trying to get an idea of what kind of production could be done and get a smooth rythme going. What I discovered is you can only cast about 1 ball about every 1.5 - 2 minutes and about every 5th ball you have to set the mould down and let it cool for a good 3-4 minutes. So the average is 1 ball about every 2.5-3 minutes. The mould is so massive and the amount of lead is so great that it would almost be worth it to machine a mould with cooling fins. I also learned that a soup ladle makes a pretty good pour, since you need a pound of lead or so at a time, so you can not only fill the mould but also keep over pouring the sprue for at least 15-20 seconds.

Colin

CowboyCS

The Mighty 2 Bore Boxlock M/Ler VIDEO

The moment so many have been waiting to see; VIDEO of me actually shooting it. There should be two videos below one is hi-res(16mb) for the guys who have faster internet, and the other one is lo-res(2mb) for the dial-up users. They are the same footage of me taking three different shots; the first shot was the very first shot from the shoulder, the load was 13 drams(355 grains FFg) and patched round ball, the other two shots in the video were the final shots I made, 16 drams(437 grains FFg) and patched round ball.

Hi-res:

Lo-res:

This was the target from the last two shots in the video, shot at 50 yards:

I'm not sure exactly how to describe the felt recoil other than it was a lot, but it is still within my range of tolerance.

Colin

Top Bottom