The Next JHP Yote Hunt

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Well I was wondering what you guys think about another JHP yote hunt at Carizo. When I have no idea, just thaught I would put it out there. I'm getting the itch to go

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thonzberry,

I was sorta looking at the end of June or early July as I will (hopefully) have my rifle back from being worked on & re-sighted in by then. Carrizo is one of my favorite places and sounds good to me.  So, if my gun is ready by the hunt date picked, I should be there.

Frank            

MarinePMI

Reaction score
If I'm still in the country I'm game!  Anyone else interested?

Mntngoat

Reaction score
You can count be in. I should have my 22BR back by then as well.

Michael

Pasco

Reaction score
Little league ends mid-June, count me in after that.  Just how hot is it there in June and July?

Here are some pics from a couple weeks ago (3-29-02) for those who haven't been out there, cool place.  Again, excuse the photos taken by my kids, they have a rather twisted sense of humor.

http://community.webshots.com/album/34964492gHFIlA

yotegetter

Reaction score
I'm up for Carrizo anytime! June & July there's lots of snakes. Especially near Soda Lake. The sooner the better!

smokin54

Reaction score
I make this one if my rifle comes back as I was promised today !! I should have it next week and that will give me time to get a scope and sight it in

jmabbott888

Reaction score
I'm game for a hunt if you can set it up for the first 2 weeks of the month so I don't have the darn service wagon lol. To answer your question about temp it can get pretty warm around here in the summer, last year got to 105 a few times down in the 90's at night.

T F Coyote

Reaction score
I can probably make it June 8-9 or 14-16, since I will be attending school in San Luis Obispo June 10-14.

If these weekends don't work, I'll try to make the next So. Cal. JHP hunt.

By the way, I don't have a dedicated varmit rifle.  Is 30-06 too much for coyote if I don't plan on salvaging anything except maybe the tail and skull?

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
T F Coyote,

I don't believe a coyote will appreciate being shot with any type of bullet weight so your 30/06 should do fine.  In fact some of the smaller more fragile varmint rounds may do more damage than the '06 depending on what "type" of bullet your using?!

Good Hunting
Frank  

jmabbott888

Reaction score
T F Coyote those dates sound good too me, I won't have the service wagon so I can go. As far as that 30-06 goes load up some 125 gr rounds for it, if it works in an old moisin it should work in a stronger 06

jmabbott888

Reaction score
Well with all the new coyote sightings lets plan a hunt in Carrizo sometime. anyone interested?

smokin54

Reaction score
I am ready ! somebody just name a date and tell were this magical place is and I will be there.

Hook

Reaction score
The month of May is no good for me, but early June would be ideal.

Smokin54, to get to this magical place, just click your heals together and say "There is no place like Carizzo,  There is no place like Carizzo" :laffin-yellow:

Just kidding, Carizzo is a fun place with a lot of smart coyotes, to get there, take 5 fwy north towards Bakersfield, off at hwy 166 westbound to the town of Maricopa, go straight after the Stop sign up the grade until you reach Soda Lake road, take a right and it will lead you to the Carizzo Plains.

jmabbott888

Reaction score
How does June 1st & 2nd sound? Anytime the 1st 2 weeks of the month are good for me. Smokin54, at the top of that grade (Grocers grade) that Hook told you about there is an old abandoned gas station there, turn right there watch the road though just past the kiosk on your right side it goes to dirt road so watch your speed, it caught me off guard the first time I went up there.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
"Smart" coyotes, Hook?!  I couldn't agree more!  With me it's even more difficult, being a not so smart coyote "hunter".  

I may have to wait until the following coyote hunt, as my mini 14 is not due back from the custom shop until then and would still have to go to the range. However, if it does return early then I should be able to make it.

Been mid March since I've done any hunting or shooting and I'm having severe withdrawals.  Guess I better dust something off and at least go to the range.

Frank        

jmabbott888

Reaction score
Frank, even if your mini isn't ready let me know & I'll bring an extra rifle for you if you don't mind shooting a levergun ( 250savage).

Brian S

Reaction score
Early June sounds good in Carizzo, Wister was fun but I imagine by June it will be real hot. I still am waiting to take my first dog so lets get this hunt going soon.
Brian

yotegetter

Reaction score
I'll be hunting for pig with the Northern CA JHPers out in clear creek. I'm I the only SoCal member going up there?

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Thanks jmabbott888, I do appreciate that. Actually I would love to shoot the 250 savage lever as I more than once have thought about getting one myself. Very nice rifles indeed.

I do have some other (deer type) rifles I could use, but sorta stuck on the mini right now as that was one of the (many) reasons I originally bought it for. Don't think I could satisfy my itch if I used anything else right now. But then again.....?!?!

Anywyay, Thanks again for your kind offer!

Frank        

Advertisement

Top Bottom