The next wall of shame member?

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
Yep, This guy belongs on the hall of shame. Why can't these guys just be honest about what they are doing. Let's face it, not everyone is good with there hands or electronics, maybe they just don't have the time to make one and someone offering one ready made is great. If you offer one of these cams already made then all that is asked of you is to give credit where credit is due. There is no reason for anyone to clame that the cam was there idea . It's simple!!! folks. What part of "LINK" don't you understand? AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Mike PS Sorry but i do feel better now.

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
i'm not defending the guy but aren't most cams similar in design in one way or another? he's not selling the plans but the whole thing. personally i would rather a unit then assemble one because i just don't have the patients with electrical stuff or know enough to do a clean job. and if he is selling the cams i would think it wouldn't be "marketed" as a homebrew. like i said i'm not defending the guy, just not aware of where the "line" is when it comes to blatant copying.

cc

(Edited by californiacoyotes at 8:28 am on July 9, 2002)

Eagle Eye

Reaction score
Looks to me like he's using Hamiltoes board for the electronics.

vman

Reaction score
I agree Eagle eye it looks the same to me.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
OWL PF $40-50
Hamiltoe's Board $40
GSI lexan box $15
Other parts $5-10

Total $100-120

Sell for $229 = Making some good money off JHP. In my opinion, no one besides Hamiltoe should be able to re-sell his boards without his permission.

gtk

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much.  As slow as his web-pages are (at least for me), he will never sell anything.  I got tired of waiting on the "hover-buttons" to load and killed the session.

:rolleyes-green:

Old Scout

Reaction score
A $229 camera is no bargain.  I just this week saw one for sale in Wal-Mart for around $130.......Pro-Bass and Cabela's have several with a starting price from  around $130 all the way up to around$400 or so......It just depends on what a person wants I guess but I don't think a guy building them in his basement can compete with Wal-Mart, Pro-Bass and Cabela's

A few years ago there were only a couple of commercial cameras avaliable, not there are dozens.......This fall the sight of cameras in the woods may be as common as tree stands.  

davered1

Reaction score
The post at the bottom gets turned around and the Name is changed to SCOUTPRO. This is not correct . The posts are not mine.

californiacoyotes, There is nothing wrong with selling the cameras, this guy claims the IDEAS are his, THATS different.

Before anyone jumps down his back about selling hamiltoes boards in them you should probably ask hamiltoe if he knows. I asked him if I could resale his boards in units and he had no problems with it as long as I never claimed it was MY BOARD.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Scoutcam,
Here's a few free tips....
Get rid of all the applets, Java, and fancy (read as do not work) scripting.  The 'net is clogged with so much crud.... no reason to add to it.
Learn to use the compression tools in your image editing software.  Yes - a lot of us low-rent jerks still have slow dial-up connections.

**Never,!!  **!!NEVER, EVER!!!**** leave a circuit board that has CMOS components exposed like that!! - Unless you enjoy early and frequent product returns.  Spend the 2 bucks and buy a junction box!!  i'm sure you can find a part number here on the forum.

And to make your life easier - don't make any claims to brilliant ideas.  You'll just irritate people (see above :))

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Well said Davered1 & Arch

Claiming Ideas is different, especially Brilliant ones that flash back in your face!

Tinhorn

bat

Reaction score
hey davered1,
 I read your comments over in that "other" website, you get em boy, hehe.  Mistaken another person for "our" dave....make me mad just thinking about it, lol.  :smacking-head-mallet:

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
if i came out with a car stereo it would probably be similar to some one elses on the market. how is this different? the basic process of manufactor is going to be nearly the same regardless of who made it. does that mean the camtrakker or highlander, to name a few, are infringing also? they are just two more "companies" that make a similar product. the only difference i can see is this guy works out his "garage"probably part time and the big guys have a full time place of business. like i said before i am not defending THIS guy, his product, or his process. i have "roots" here at jesse's and i realize a lot of time and effort has gone into making homebrew cams doable for the do-it-yourselfer and the tech. support you get HERE is out of this world, no real company can compete! i just have a hard time seeing this thin line.

cc

hamiltoe

Reaction score
Yup,
Those are my boards.  He never asked if he could resell them either.  He has, however, changed the design and replaced the DIP switch from a 4-position to a 6-position to allow 6 different time settings instead of 4.  I looked up his address in my database and he ordered several boards from me in the past.  Here is a quote from his first email:

"Sorry to bother you but I found some friends that are
interested in some boards too.  I would like to order
10 if that is alright.  These would be unassembled
boards."

Hmmmmm.........

I don't have a problem with people re-selling my boards, but, if they are re-producing them themselves for profit, then I do have a problem.  I especially liked the way he claimed to "have put a lot of time into designing what I have now", you should see all of the emails I got for support!

I think a lot of people are confusing a copyright with a patent.  With a patent, the idea can't be re-produced until the alotted time period expires.  This is why you are starting to see the game cameras prices starting to drop and many new manufacturers appear.  A copyright is basically plagiarism.  A copied circuit board could be considered a copyright infringement.

(Edited by hamiltoe at 6:27 pm on July 9, 2002)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Scoutcam is one of our own, upnorthunter.

Type in his name to the search under game camera forum and you'll see he learned how to make them here last fall. Bought some timers from Hamiltoe and set up a website and off he went. His claims to be original are laughable since his trade secrets were well documented here.

One last time to clear up those who CANNOT understand why we have a problem with these frauds. CalCoyotes, pay real close attention here.

There are many designs of commercial game cameras out there. We DO NOT claim to have invented the idea of a game camera. All these commercial designs use different cases, cameras, PIRs, timers ect. The homebrew have their distinct look too, thats why it's easy to spot one.

The BIG problem we have is when these ripoffs take our ideas, plans etc. make a game camera and sell them and claim they are the inventers. It's so ridiculous because you can see their history of posts here where we all helped them make their first game camera and timer etc. etc.

If you make a game camera  just like Camtrakker I'm sure they might object. There is one clown on Ebay  claiming his game camera is "Just like a Camtrakker". That's a real good way to get sued for infringement since his camera is not even close to a Camtrakker.

These people all know very well where they got their plans from and their free tech support.

One last note, Hamiltoe if you need some pro bono lawyer work we have several here on the forum if you want to shut down the sale of your board.

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
spectr17 our response is alot clearer then just "its a copy".  thank you. i saw that cam on ebay claiming to be just like a camtrakker, it caoght my i until i the picture, nothing like the camtrakker! i am new to these home brew cams, i had a camtrakker but gave it to an outfitter friend of mine in idaho, buckshot outfitters. when i bought it i had the intentions to use it but just never found the time so i gave it to my friend because he could actually use it. he sends me px from it from time to time, and i'm glad to see it getting used. currently i have a home brew i got from a member of this board and in two weeks i will be ordering another from another member. now that i the time and place to set them up i'm sure they will be productive for me. they're an excellent tool!

cc

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
The plot thickens. Who really is Scoutcam? Where did they get their info? Give credit where credit is due. Sure looks like a Hamiltoe board board modified to me. Sell all you want, but on my board from Field Pix has his logo and such on it. A good board by the way Hamiltoe. MC.

Top Bottom