The old boy does it again!

6x7

Reaction score
Pop had a late season Nevada tag this year to go along with his xzone tag,it was in a unit my brother and I have hunted before a few years ago durring archery.Not sure why I put him in for it, looking back it wasn't a easy hunt lots of wilderness area and big a** mountain range with not a lick of flat ground.
Here how it goes,two weeks befor the season started I kinda started stressing on my dad having a crappy hunt because of my unit pic ,as I am the one who applys him every year so i contacted a outfitter I have talked to before on Facebook and told him of our issue of my dads limitation on only getting a half mile from the road at the most,he suggested a area with easy acces so that's where we started,I gave it two days and it didn't pan out 3 does.
My brother showed up late morning Sunday and I said we need to move to our old stomping grounds so we packed camp and moved.first evening I saw three doe above camp at least were seeing deer now.
View attachment 83579
Thats our camp down there in the aspens, believe it or not all of our hunting we ended up going down hill from camp then side hilling hunting the pinyon juniper country its way easier on a old timer.
View attachment 83580
This pic was taken at 8,500 feet ,the upper mountains are real high and where we had archery hunted before that knob hill in the pic my brother stalked a nontypical but didn't get a shot in the past that where I figured the deer would still be up high!well luckily I was kinda wrong we didn't see a ton of bucks but just enough to keep it interesting.We would at least see one buck a day he did get a 200 yard shot at a moving 4x4 couldnt stick the landing clean miss,he couldn't get on him while he was standing still,sun was shining right into the scope,his scope was dust filled from the quad ride made it kinda tuff on a pair of 70 year old eyes.
View attachment 83581
Lots of beautifull scenery out there lots of good food a little bit of "beer hunting" went on at camp at noon so pop could get in his daily nap which was kinda nice since I am use to sun up till sundow hunting.
View attachment 83582
We had hunted from Friday to Thursday morning with about 7 or 8 bucks sceen one miss,one he should have got a shot at but he couldn't get out of the truck fast enough get on him before he dissapered into the sea of pinyon pines,So all in all I felt the hunt was very successfully compared to what I thought it was going to be,but still we went home with our tails between our legs
View attachment 83583
And a little more beer hunting on the way home!
So this leads to the grand finally my brother could only hunt with us for three days and had to get back home but he said before he left he could come back with pop for the last three days of the season.They left at 4am Monday morning did a little investigation of a diffrent rang and found 7 does but no bucks plus the bonus of 3 to 4 inches of snow at 6,500 ' .They moved on to our familiar spot and my bro said they just made it a quarter mile off the main road and this buck was bedded with 5 does just a bit off the road and the rest is history!
View attachment 83584
View attachment 83585
View attachment 83586

Last edited:

CL&RR

Reaction score
Congrats. Awesome season all around for you guys.

zlucky_13z

Reaction score
Awesome buck. What unit in Nevada is that? My dad normally puts us in for the areas near Ely, and a few times for the area near Jackpot. I'm out of state and he and my brothers aren't. It seems like they get drawn when I decide not to put in with them, so I think I might put in by myself next year. Thanks for the info in advance.

d10hunter

Reaction score
love the scenery pics! congrats! i love hunting with my dad too!

Bossbrott

Reaction score
Very nice!! Congrats to your pops on harvesting a good buck.

jls456

Reaction score
Nice buck. Great hunting with the ol' man.

6x7

Reaction score
Area 17 late,that being said its not what I would call a great area or I normally wouldn't spout out a unit number ,I feel we got very lucky out there.Dont get me wrong good bucks come out of there every year probably,but it is a huge area with scaterd deer it makes for seeing low numbers.

Big Moose

Reaction score
Congrats to your dad! You guys did great getting him on that buck! Thanks for sharing the story and photos.

Moose

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Awsome hunt, even better ending! Contulations to all of you, nice effort that paid off!

Rodburner

Reaction score
Congrat nice buck may not be a great place but this hunt will find its place as one of the best you have ever had

Fatboy18

Reaction score
Congrats to your Pops on a nice buck & a job well done!!

Top Bottom