The old goat has a

bobcatman04

Reaction score
I bought 2 wether goats about three months old to help with brush control on my 2 acres. I don't want to keep them past their usefulness. Hopefully by July/August. so here's the question. How do you cook goat. Any style, foreign or domestic. Whole or partial. Anything......
Thanks in advance

Freedivr2

Reaction score
Birria......absolutely. Curry goat sounds interestin......

One concern I'd have........make sure you feed those goats decent food the last month or two. I've had great goat and not-so-great goat (both tasted good, but the the smell of the not-so-great goat stuck with ya for a few hours fer sure......).

EL CAZADOR

Kiss The Ring
Reaction score
As some of you know, I was in Honduras last year for 3 months building an orphanage with my in-laws (building is the picture to the left, under my username). We had about 6 goats on the property to keep the grass down during the rainy season. They were pissing on everything and starting to make a mess so we figured we'd thin the crop so to speak. A couple of the guys from a group from Mississippi had the honor of slaughtering the two goats, while my father-in-law and myself did the butchering. The meat wasn't that great, a bit chewy. It could be attributed to their diet, I would assume yours would be the same way. The guys from Mississippi wanted to smoke them, so that could be why they were so chewy and tough. If you stew it you may have favorable results.

Below is a picture of us building our bbq, and us welding the bbq grill

There wasn't much meat on the two goats. The two goats barely filled one grill

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Give them a good Combo Mash Feed a month before slaughtering.
Birria is the way to go.
Slow cooked at low heat.
What peppers you use is up to you in the broth.
Mexican friends of mine when I was younger would slow cook for hours.
We would eat it in a corn tortilla with onions and cilantro.
Some salsa fresca.
Many would dip the taco into the broth before taking a bite.
When I first had it I was never told it was goat. It was tasty though.

Portagees like to slow roast over a open spit just like you would a piglet.
Some roast them in a ground pit. Very much like you would a small porky.

They don't barbeque all that well.

barel74

Reaction score
they make great carnitas, too.
Just remember, the older the goat, the worse it will get.
tmoniz is right, pump a sack of grain through them about a month before slaughter.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Make sure you keep them eyeballs and boil em up. Our Turk neighbors in Germany fed us "goat eyeballs". I about puked. All the eyeballs on the tray looked like they were looking at you. Weirded me out

mrgadget

Reaction score
A quick recipe for pig(let) works great for goats, etc. as well.

Concinita Pebil:

Mix a paste of Achiote pepper (ground) with lemon or lime juice. Smear it on the animal and slow cook it. Whether you use a crock pot or bury it over coals, long and slow is the way to go.

Corn tortillas, finely chopped onion, cilantro.

BEER.

Got myself hungry and thirsty now!

PORCH

Reaction score
Ask Gomer that just went on the exotic hunt with Speck. He cooked a couple goats up for the guys on the trip. If you go over to the exotics forum and click on the thread from their trip you will find him.

Top Bottom