The "other" RS PIR

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi all,
Since the search is on for a replacement for the 49-425, I thought I'd post this info I had on a sensor I tried out a while back.  I'm going from several year old rusty memory here - so facts & figures are probably off some (or a lot :)

The RS 61-2606 motion sensor / spot light - (older price 19.99)  Stated range is 40 feet - but I got a bit more from it.  Works in the cold down to at least -12F (that's as low as the temps got when I tested it - probably goes lower).  PC board is small - Fresnel lens has no "look down" segments like the MS-20 does.  Has built-in adjustable (with 24 hour "test" mode) daylight disable and 12second to 12minute adjustable timer (re-triggerable).

'As-is' the sensor uses too much power at ~4mA.  This was easily cured by replacing the original 78L05 voltage regulator with a 50 cent Seiko micro-power job from Mouser.

The AC power / relay stuff is on one board, the 5 volt regulator, sensor, and timer is on a second board - just cut the wires between the two boards and connect a battery supply (6 to 12 volt).  You'd need a 4 - 5 second "one-shot" or a timer board like Brians after the built-in timer to drive the cams shutter.

If I remember right, the output goes from "low" to "high" when motion is detected - -but there is a transistor on the AC power board that can be used to invert that signal.

I sort of liked this little sensor - had it mounted on the outside of the box and it looked like a little UFO.  It's supposed to be weather resistant, but it's not - needs a good sealing up.

When I started building my own PIR sensors, I put this back together as a spotlight and it's now on my sisters house - so sorry - no pics.  I'm sure it can be found at the RS web-site for those interested.

(******... If I find a picture of it in my 'archives' - you can use it in your 'museum' :)))

Archilochus

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Archilochus, Sounds like a neat one to look in to. I'll see what i can find.
Thanks

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I have an inverter built into my boards already for the low to high so it should work fine.  I use it on the RS sensor used now.

Thanks for the info ARCH.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Is it still available at RS:

I did a search for that RS # on the RS site and it came up with some manuals (and apparently a different part #) but no price, etc ?

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
I get a "page unavailable error" for all the home security stuff - must be some problems with their site.

The new part # is 610-2606 (I was looking at the old box the thing came in).

Odd - on the specs' page it claims the sensitivity is adjustable.  Wasn't on the one I tried.  That would be a nice additional feature.

Archilochus

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything but the specs also. I tried early today and just now and still couldn't find anything.

bat

Reaction score
RS 61-2606 is on page 280 of the new 2002 RS catalog.  I got it in front of me reading about the unit.  Cost of it is $19.99  "but it has a 40 ft. maximum range compared to the 49-425  This would have to be tamed down a bit but that would probably be no problem.  Discription:  lights come on automatically when someone approaches, deactivates during daytime.  Manual override, adjustable sensitivity and "lights-on" duration.  40-ft. maximum detection range.  300 watts max.  bat

Archilochus

Reaction score
Thanks for the update bat.  Don't know why they listed the part# as "610" on their web-site??
Sounds like RS has swapped the adjustable daylight disable for adjustable sensitivity - might be a good trade-off.

Archilochus

bat

Reaction score
You're welcome Arch, BTW, I was in RS today and the salesman said again that they were discontinuing the 49-425 but they were coming out with another one, didn't get into much about the new one, I was checking out those camera/binoculars I think it was thehairlessone was posting about the other day....bat has a pair now  :smile-big-blue:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom