"The Perfect Housing"

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I would like some feedback.   I have a buddy that owns a metal fab shop.  CNC punch presses, breaks, etc.  I'm going to try to design the perfect box and would like some of your advice.

First of all, what is the perfect size.  For me something like 5.25" wide x 9" tall x 2.5"deep seems right.  I use a 4.5ah 6 volt battery and a ms20, but I'm going to go the 4 AA's.  so maybe 7.5" tall would do.

Features.  Lid that is prepunched for a Cannon Owl PF cutouts.  I don't know if the same dimmensions will fit the snappy also, I haven't tried one yet.  maybee there is a compromise that will work for both.  Also prepunched sensor hole - 1" dia. allowing enough room for the ms20 should allow plenty for the RS PIR Too.  Is that right???

Heavy gage steel box with a hinged lid that has a locking hasp built in.  Welded chain loops for secirity when locking to tree.  maybe aluminum if there is some cutoff scrap we can get cheap.  Prepunch 2 or three holes for power, mode and count. (i use Brians timer)

He thinks we can fold the boxs and not have to weld the corners solid to make them waterproof.  Just spot weld and then silicon the joint.  Also we can spot weld in a little shelf for the camera to sit on.

It all sounds rather expensive, but he thinks we can produce them for just a little more than the pelican 1120.  

If you guys have any suggestions let me know please.  It would be nice to have a streamlined box that people would at least have to go back to the truck first to steel.   I know ammo boxs work, just looking for something a little more streamlined.  Everything is ready, just glues the glass and mount the sensor and switches

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Sounds pretty sharp to me.

I would like to see one when you get them finished.

Also, my brother-in-law works for Alumax locally and I will see if I can get scraps of Aluminum.  Probably  not but it would be worth asking.  How thick do you think it would need to be?

TmKarren

Reaction score
I think the smallest box possible.  That every thing would fit in.  Smallest is not so eye catching.  That is what I would shoot for.  I would probably lay everything out on cardboard trace the outline for the box and go from there.  Leave room for foam, and stuff.  Sounds like you have it made.  Save you some money, and you get a better box..  Alot of the electrical boxes are 1 - 2" too deep.  

(Edited by TmKarren at 8:56 am on Mar. 17, 2002)

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Sounds great.As far as the 1" hole for the RS PIR thats what I use and it works fine. LOL

homer

Reaction score
I build my boxes out of .080 aluminum(about an 1/8'' thick)works out well. Not as strong as steel but light weight. I make a rain hood and mount the LED into it, that way you don't have it connected to the door of the housing.Also I use a piano hinge on one side and draw latch on the other  that can be paddle locked

Latest Posts

Top Bottom