The Rut...

pigsdaddy

Reaction score
I am supposed to going on a trip to Ohio this year.  I have been told that the rut in Southeastern Ohio is usually around the second to third week on November.  Is this correct?  How about where everyone else lives?  

StringShooter

Reaction score
That sounds about right. In Missouri, the rut (breeding stage) occurs around mid November. However, my favorite time is in late October, to the first week of November, when the bucks are in the chasing phase. It's when the first mature doe reaches estrus and the bucks go wild.

I caught this two years ago on holloween morning. I saw around 8 to 10 different bucks from daylight till 10:00 a.m, chasing one adult doe. I finally was able to take a 6 point, but some were lot's bigger but didn't offer a shot.

If you can catch this early chase...you will never forget it.

MBullism

Reaction score
November 12th seems to be a good average date for me.  I've seen peak activity earlier and later, but usually right around the second and third week of november...

marmot

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from StringShooter on 3:09 pm on July 3, 2002
That sounds about right. In Missouri, the rut (breeding stage) occurs around mid November. However, my favorite time is in late October, to the first week of November, when the bucks are in the chasing phase. It's when the first mature doe reaches estrus and the bucks go wild.

I caught this two years ago on holloween morning. I saw around 8 to 10 different bucks from daylight till 10:00 a.m, chasing one adult doe. I finally was able to take a 6 point, but some were lot's bigger but didn't offer a shot.

If you can catch this early chase...you will never forget it.
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

I pretty much agree with all this. In mid Missouri, what I have seen is that the bucks cover lots of ground checking scrapes and looking for hot does the last week of October and the first week of November. Cool and/or rainy weather seams to increase daylight activity and bright moonlite nights seem to decrease daytime activity.

The actual chasing, (you know, where the buck has his nose up the does butt) doesn't really start until the second through the third week of November. They probably cover less ground at that time but they can get pretty dumb some times.

After that it seems there is another week of bucks covering ground, still looking for hot does and there aren't many left by then.

(Edited by marmot at 4:57 pm on July 4, 2002)

CaHogHtr

Reaction score
I bowhunt about an hour NW of Columbus and usually the second week of November seems to be best but I've been there the first and third weeks also and had good luck with bucks chasing the does then.  

Brian S

Reaction score
  I seem to have missed the full swing of rut the last 2 years in western Connecticut. I hunt the week of Thanksgiving, and my cousin tells me the bucks have their hats on sideways after the first cold snap in November. The buck I shot had 2 does with him, and another I saw had his nose to the ground after a doe. I don't know when it is for the muleys here in California. I have never seen rut activity during the general rifle season mid october to mid november.
Brian

rutnduck

Reaction score
In north central NC it is usually around the 2-3rd week of Nov.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
HUNTER12, Welcome to Jesse's. You will find a great bunch of peeps and lots of info. Glad to have you aboard....

Isaac

Reaction score
I hunt in Jackson county WV and that is right on the Southeastern Ohio border.  Usually the rut is in the second week of November but last year I didnt get to go up until the week of Thanksgiving and it was in full swing.  I shot wide six and seven pointers and they were both chasing does.  My hunting group saw many more bucks and almost all were chasing does.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom