The Sharps Finally Speaks

myfriendis410

Reaction score
One of my hunting friends and I got this dude last night after blowing an opportunity on Saturday.

Here's the story: We saw some young'uns in this oat field and thought to set up on them to see if a boar would get interested in Momma. The only place to really look at this (long) field was opposite the creek and up a hill, which put us a long way from where we had seen the little hogs. As it happened, a decent boar stepped out into the field and we had the opportunity to look him over and judge him worth a shot, but as it was late we decided to take the shot from there. It ranged out at 354 yards, about a 7 inch drop for my .300 win mag and I had a good rest, so why not? I pulled the trigger and that damned bullet hit right where my crosshairs were--right over his back! Oops. Rich didn't have a chance at a follow up shot--he was gone in two seconds.

We gave it a couple of days and decided that this time we would set up in the field, and this time I would take the Sharps 45-70 I got for my birthday. I had a good load using a 300 grain TSX and if I was within about 175 yards I'd be good. My hunting partner offered the first shot to me to "break in" the birthday gun. It was getting to the point where I could not see across the field through the peep sight and there were a group of piglets out, so Rich decided that a thirty pounder on the smoker this weekend would be just fine with him, thank you very much! and headed across the field to get some angle on 'em. When he got over there he saw a bigger hog with cutters and motioned me over, offered the shot and I walked in close enough to see him through the peep sight--about 60 yards. When I finally got him centered in the peep sight I let loose and dropped him right there. When we walked up on him we were happy to see he was a pretty good hog with about 2" cutters and gutted out at 128 lbs.
[attachment=52749:pigpic.jpg]

So, there you go. I saved the lower jaw and am going to send the ivory to my friend, who gave me the rifle.

Attachments

Bwana Turtle

Reaction score
Congrats !

Did you recover the bullet ? They're pretty impressive looking. A small family with two cars could almost live in the cavity of the hollow point. ( Only a SLIGHT exaggeration) They must open up to at least 75 caliber.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
At 60 yards and 2,000 fps there was no sign that bullet even NOTICED the hog, much less stopped in it. He didn't have a deep gristle plate so all I hit going through were a couple of ribs. Judging from the exit hole it did indeed open up to around .75, judging from the fact that it blew out two ribs. And yes, the opening is big enough to put a 209 primer in and have it rattle.

I would have loved to recover it, though. I did get one shot into a nice boar back in February that I got with my .300/200 gr. TSX. That was impressive!

ozstriker22

Reaction score
I've got a single shot 45-70 i would LOVE to drill a piggie with. Just something about sending 300 grains of lead downrange that I really love.

That sharps is a nice rifle and that hog looks good too! congrats!

richracer1

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (myfriendis410 @ Jun 24 2008, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It was getting to the point where I could not see across the field through the peep sight and there were a group of piglets out, so Rich decided that a thirty pounder on the smoker this weekend would be just fine with him, thank you very much! and headed across the field to get some angle on 'em. When he got over there he saw a bigger hog with cutters and motioned me over, offered the shot and I walked in close enough to see him through the peep sight--about 60 yards. When I finally got him centered in the peep sight I let loose and dropped him right there. When we walked up on him we were happy to see he was a pretty good hog with about 2" cutters and gutted out at 128 lbs.
[attachment=52749:pigpic.jpg][/b]
Sure was nice of your friend to let you take that shot instead of him taking it. Now, what you forgot to mention is that your friend was able to harvest a 30lb'er after bringing back your game cart. Hey, stupid piglets came out while were getting ready to load up his boar, so at 30yds with a 270WSM and first time using 130gn Nosler E-tips, we have our smoker pig.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
Yeah, I know; but I didn't have any pictures of your trophy. And yes, I did mention that you thought I should shoot and I do appreciate it. And finally, yes we have a nice smoker pig for this weekend.

Rampage1

Reaction score
Nice job 410, I'll be up there mid-week, I'll stop by the rod and gun club if I get a chance.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rampage1 @ Jun 29 2008, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nice job 410, I'll be up there mid-week, I'll stop by the rod and gun club if I get a chance.[/b]
I'll be working Tuesday and Thursday all day; they've been getting hogs lately. Slow start to the year, and Area 3 is the place to be.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom