The start of a hog dog.

bayedsolid

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I picked up a pup last week from some older folks that couldn’t handle her anymore. She was terrorizing the place killing cats, tormenting dogs, and chasing everything from butterflies to Blue whales. I figured she looked right to me so I’d see what happens. I wasn’t home for 15 minutes and she had treed the cat, dented the truck, and humped the neighbor kid so I figured she could use some exercise. My 12-year-old son loaded the dogs and we were down the road.
At 11 months old she had never been in the woods, besides growing up in the country, but she seemed to enjoy it. She was used to all other dogs, and movement of any kind for that matter, cowering from her so it was a bit of culture shock to get thrust into a pack that could really give a damn about her and who rather easily put her in her place. It wasn’t too long into this new adventure that she was turned into the distant bark that will soon become her calling in life. As she headed off with another pup, who was setting the woods on fire on her way to the bark, she soon got left in the dust and returned back where she started. It wasn’t until we were ‘bout 100 yards from the action when she finally made it all the way in. Her roar is probably still echoing in the canyon as it sounded like a herd of Elephants crashing back out straight to me. She came flying up and looked at me as if to say, “Dude…you are never going to believe what those dumb a** dogs are doing in there!!!!” Well, a couple of quick circles and she was back in for round two. She did good, barking, bouncing, and eventually pulling hair when it was all said and done. Personally, I’m rather frightened of large swine so I sent in my son, who isn’t afraid of a damn thing, to take care of my light work. After a couple of Judo chops, and arm bar, he finished with a rear naked choke and it was photo time. We proped the camera on my pack, set the timer, and then it was back to the truck. Although the boar is a fuzz shy of that magical 4” mark that I like to see, he’s close enough and a damn good hog for a pup’s first. She has done real good on a couple of hogs since then and I have no doubt she will make a dog. She sleeps good these days.
As for my son, he was happy but it’s just another boar hog for him since it didn’t quite have 4”. Last time I came home with a hog over 4” without him, he didn’t speak to me for a week. I guess I somehow knew I was going to catch a good one and purposely did not talk him out of going to a buddies B-day party so I could enjoy it all by myself. I’m an a-hole that way, I guess. I do call him Sir these days, as I recommend to about anyone who doesn’t want to get tied in a knot. Although just a pup himself….please don’t tell him I said that…..he’s a hog hunter that has been running the woods since before he could run and has a photo album that would rival many life-long hunters’. He’s hooked so I suppose one of my biggest accomplishments as a father is complete.
It was a good day.

EvBouret

Reaction score
Sounds like the dog has some promise. It'll get the picture after a few more hogs and hopefully start finding them for you.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Nice write-up... if your boy wasn't a handful before, he'll be impossible to contain if he ever reads this post.

Well done, on the hound and the boy.

bigworm

Reaction score
Glad to see someone else hunting with dogs too. Very nice tusker, something you don't see every day. That's great the pup pulled hair first time out. Should make a good dog. My hats off to your boy. Most people don't know the feeling of going in on a good boar. I know a lot of adults that won't do it. Good job!!!

bhrhunts

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bayedsolid @ Mar 18 2008, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Personally, I’m rather frightened of large swine so I sent in my son, who isn’t afraid of a damn thing, to take care of my light work.[/b]
There was a lot of laughter here on my end- great writing, I think the sentence above was my favorite- I do like the part about your new dog terrorizing the neighborhood - absolutely great story Bayed. Cheers!
Deedy

bayedsolid

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Real nice hog. what state was he taken in?[/b]
Thanks. California. I live in the foothills out of the Fresno area. There are some big teeth roaming these woods. Not all areas, but a lot of them produce 3-1/2" to 4"er's pretty regular. Got the pup on a couple more today. She is turning on real fast and I'm still grinning. One was a wicked 'ol boar and man I'm tellin ya, it was somethin to see. He was not a giant but a tougher hog you'll never find. You never know what your going to get going into the bay until you get there and turn in the catchdog. I ain't never come across pansy a** boar hog but some of them are just completely off the chart. If you have never seen a boar hog in a completely eyes glazed over, 1000% white hot rage with a pile of gritty hog dogs giving it to him with everything they've ever thought of having....It's a words can't describe, life changing experience. I've seen one hell of a lot of caught hogs in my life and it still completely awes me when you get one like this. Fairly open, rolling country with alot of boulders and scattered trees and I was running full out just above and behind giving it everything I have to catch and throw myself in the pile of hair and teeth moving in vicious cirles 20mph down the draw. There was dogs swinging, flying, Superman jumping, and everything in between and he was shaking them off like bathwater. They got him shut down enough after 70 or 80 yards that I finally caught up the 10 paces I was behind and piled into him on the turn. Then it was out with the staple gun to patch up the holes amid the sweet smelling, boar hog perfume that was sprayed all over the woods. And the pup was right smack in the middle of it all. Boar hogs are some bad a** critters.
.....I can't wait 'till tomorrow.

edit.....I was with a life-long hunting buddy of mine and my son wasn't there, but he wondered out loud upon hearing the story about why it took 80 yards to catch up after it broke? I told him it was because he wasn't there. He agreed.

brushstomper

Reaction score
Sweet read and great pictures. You should be writing books! Keep um coming.

Flatbroke

Reaction score
Sounds like fun Bayedsolid, Sometimes the young boars are the toughest, qucik and agile, Heck we had a sow like that a month or two ago, she a couple 4 inch cuts in a dog. she was jumping like a broncing horse and meaner than snot.

sfhoghunter

Reaction score
Great story - entertaining read. And bravo for giving a dog a second chance.

Huntr Pat

Reaction score
I'd like to start running my dogs again someday. Used to run them in my younger days in Hawaii.
Now I have a female Catahoua, Rat terrier, and a young pup I just picked up. I just ordered a vest from the Boar hunter magazine. Just need a place to play. Catch and relaese. I'm in Gilroy

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom