the sure shot owl and the 1120??

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
i have the pelican 1120 case but i haven't bought the camera yet but i took the owl out of my other cam to see how it would fit and it doesn't. i remember a few of you guys using this camera and enclosure are you guys shaving the inside of the case? how are you guys getting this to work?

cc

tomtruck

Reaction score
i might do mine a bit different than the other guys, but what i do is grind off the peice where the camera carry string goes into, works for me.

californiacoyotes

Reaction score
it does break into the inworking of the camera? what d oyou use something like a die grinder and sand paper? tom truck yours is one i have been really looking at the last few you've put the sensor in a blue box instead of just mpunted in the enclosure. looks alot cleaner. i like it...i just got to build one now.

cc

shufigo

Reaction score
I'm sure there are a hundred Pelican users here, but here's what I do. I take off the hump in the camera case, where the carrying strap goes, with a 3/4" chisel -- carefully stroking away from me. When that's flat to the case, I put an oval router on my hand tool and rout out the inside of the box, on the latch side, down to the level of the waterproof seal. By doing that side, it moves the camera lens closer to the center of the box. Then I smooth out the cuts with the chisel again, and slide the camera in.  It really helps to keep a stone handy using chisel. If it gets dull, the chances of an accident really go sky high.

Archilochus

Reaction score
I'm lazy... I just mount it 'horizontally'.  I like the little 'work-shelf' that the door makes when you open the case - good for pencils, batts, film, and such.

Archilochus

shufigo

Reaction score
ARch!!! (Sound of Shuf slapping self on head) - That makes entirely too much sense!! What do you mount in the door? Do you glue on the PIR or glue that in the box and swing the fresnal up to it? And the camera? Verlcro strip on the bottom of the box or affix to the door somehow?  When I started, I saw all these pictures of a "standard" mounting with the items stacked in the box vertically, and assumed there was only one way to "correctly" do it. ....... Duhhhh.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi shuf,
Well, they say a picture speaks a 1000 words.... the way I ramble on, maybe even more ;-)

http://archilochus.netfirms.com/images/owl-in.jpg

This is the last of my "not-so-basic" timer equipped cams before switching over to microcontrollers.  The PIR sensor is in the little box secured to the lid - the sensor uses the "mirror-optics" from Kube, so it fits into the small box (the optics can be purchased from ****** when he gets back).  If interested, the PIR sensor PC board with Kube optics can be seen at:
http://archilochus.netfirms.com/images/pir-brd.jpg

On some other cams I made, the sensor is mounted in the box next to the cam and looks through a 'window' in the lid.
http://archilochus.netfirms.com/49-425.html - see the thumbnails up near the top.

BTW - nothing is glued or Velro-ed down - the foam holds it all tight.  The lens window in the lid  presses lightly on the front of the cam when the lid is shut.

Archilochus

(Edited by Archilochus at 8:25 am on July 30, 2002)

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Arch,  that is one of the best looking setups I have seen.   The PIR liiks great in the little project box.  I like the simplicity of the rotory switches too.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Thanks AEH... It sure is a bit different than that old plywwod box in the "old & new" topic.
That's the cam all my friends & family want to borrow - 'cause it's the only cam I have left that anyone else can figure out how to use!

Archilochus

Top Bottom