The time finally arrived. I got my new lab pup.

83blazer

Reaction score
She is 8 weeks old and a Lab. Very beautiful and well taken care of. Bill did a great job raising the puppies. I am more than excited.

Couple of things, concerns though:

She got home fine. Fed her after playing for about an hour with her. Started throwing up a bit of food after holding it for 5 min., whined for a while and kept trying to hold her head.

She pooped 15 min. after and peed 2 times in a 1/2 hour.

When do you guys suggest I start potty training. Don't think she is up for it today. She got here from Utah. I think she might be feeling dizzy. What do you guys think?

Whats the first thing I should start doing tomorrow when I wake up? After feeding her and taking her outside to relieve herself?

Pictures will be posted tonight. She is sleeping now. Kids will get here in 1/2 hour and they are going to be EXCITED!

I need help deciding a name to register with. We named her Meztli it is Aztec for Moon?

One of those fancy names dog have. Like Blazin Meztli... or what do you guys thnk?

Socal Waterfowler

Reaction score
83 congrats on the pup. Picked mine up in Barstow yesterday and he is doing well. First you should wait a while after you play with them to feed them, that could be part of the reason and i'm sure the new surroundings could have been part of it as well along with the long ride. Today we will start on Sit, then stay, than here. I had him doing some fun bumpers last night and he has a lot of energy. He did pretty good last night and slept most of the night which was good. As far as potty training they have small bladers (spelling?) and if were playing inside he goes out evey 15-20 min to go pee. Try to get them used to doing that so they will want to go outside and pee/poop. Sounds like you got a good dog as well and yes Bill did an awesome job with these pups.

83blazer

Reaction score
SoCal, congrats on your boy also. Bill mentioned you got yourself a great pup. I waited an hour after playing with her and then decided to feed her. She did good last night. I worked her into the crate for about an hour and she was calm. She went in about 10:00pm. I woke up at 12:30 and took her outside to relieve. I did it again at 3:30 and at 6:00. She did relieve herself at 3:30 and at 6. For the most part she was great in the crate. She only cried about 10 min. each time I put her back inside.

Did you leave your dog in the crate all night without getting him out 'til morning? I felt that the pup could have gone all night without having to take her out.

She did have an accident at 6 in the house on her way out. Right by the door. I was yelling in my head "NO."
Oh well, cleaned it up and waiting for the pet store to open to go buy that spray.

Socal, thanks for the info about the commands you are going to train him with. I will do the same.

Need to go buy Gun dog and Water dog. Any other videos you would recommend?

deerwatcher05

Reaction score
Potty training is very hard & takes alot of time.
You shoud take the puppy out every 10 min to start. When your going to go out say the same thing. ( Like lets go P, or lets go out. What ever it is you want to call it) Each time you go out take the puppy to the same place.
Stay out with them untill you are SURE they went or dont have to go. Keep talking to them and telling them to go P while you are out. After you make it with no accidents for a while you can move the time to 20 min. Keep extending the time a little as you go. When he pee's on the floor ( yes he will, sooner or later ) tell him no in a stern voice and take him out to his spot.

Of a night keep the puppy in a confined area. We used a pet travel cage. Make sure to take him out to pee, then put the puppy in it at bed time and cover it up lightly so he cant see out. He will bark the first couple of nights, do not take him out. If he wakes up in the middle of the night, yes you need to take him out! Take im to Pee and then back to the cage, no playing. This will also help teach him not to run around in the house all night. In the morning get him and take him out first thing!! Dont let him run around, he will pee. Each time you go out and the puppy pee's, praise him. Keep putting him in the cage of a night untill you have gone 2 or 3 weeks with NO accidents at all. Then you can try a night or two out of the cage, and see what happens.

When you are not playing with or watching the puppy, he should also be put back in his cage. Never leve hin in the cage longer that a couple of hours at first. (except for night time) As he gets potty trained you can leve him a little longer but never more than four hours. Once you are sure he is fully trained you can keep him out all the time.

Also when we feed our puppies we put the feed in a dish in the kitchen, and let the kids sit by them and rub them while they are eating. Be nice and talk to them. The puppy will not grow up to be aggresive over his food around people. Feed your puppy in the same place and never put food or water in the cage.

I told you it is alot of work! Dont give up & stay calm. I thought my mother-in-law was crazy when she told me this, but it has worked every time! I hope this helpes and works for you as well as it has for us. In two months you wont believe its the same dog.
Good luck

Socal Waterfowler

Reaction score

I took him out before we went to bed and at 1am he woke up to go, and at 5. He slept very well through the night and I was very surprised. He had a couple accidents in the house but they were taken care of asap and outside we went to finish.

I like Water Dog and Game Dog by Wolters and I prefer his method over others.
Just make sure everything is fun for them right now in regards to retrieving. I can't wait to get home and start with him. Shoot me an email if you have anymore questions. brandon.cowan@yahoo.com

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Sounds like all is well! I'm glad to hear it!

The pups seemed to like to go once they hit the dirt or lawn so all the advice about praising them when they eliminate is real good imo. They will have accidents and such but they are already half way there....:)

Also, while they are peeing or pooping I say "potty" followed by praise just as they finish up...I can pretty much command Bella to go which speeds up the process after she hops out of the kennel or just before trekking out somewhere with her where'll she be created a while.

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
damn dude! where's the photos! She's gonna grow old before we get to see her cute little batooty!

83blazer

Reaction score
I tried posting the pictues but the file kept on saying they were too big. Then it wouldn't let me even try to load. I have trouble on this site loading pic., I don't know why. I have a lot of them though.

My heighbor threw seeds on her lawn and pigeons were on the lawn. Took the pup out and let her see them and she put a stalk on them and tried to get one but not quick enough. That was a nice site to see. She couldn't smell them though. Do I need to do something else to get her to smell them?

abreojo

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (83blazer @ Apr 27 2008, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My heighbor threw seeds on her lawn and pigeons were on the lawn. Took the pup out and let her see them and she put a stalk on them and tried to get one but not quick enough. That was a nice site to see. She couldn't smell them though. Do I need to do something else to get her to smell them?[/b]

Don't let her see them?

gundogs

Reaction score
Congrats to you on the new four legged family member. Crate train her now and your life will be much easier. Now is the time for social skills and good manners to begin.

83blazer

Reaction score
Some more pictures now that I figured it out. These are from when I first got her. The top ones are from this past Sunday.

Attachments

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Definately a good lookin' pup! Looks like she lightened up in color just a tad...maybe from shedding. What did you name her?

83blazer

Reaction score
We named her Meztli. Her name comes from the Aztec language Nahuatl meaning beautiful moon. Thanks Bill she is doing great.

Full of energy for my kids.

AnewBigDaddyB

Reaction score
all right! great looking pup, all the best, and great first photos! What a little beauty!

Advertisement

Top Bottom