The Top 5

el_vaquero

Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

I'm pretty set on a Canon 40D, just gotta come up with the funds. Still haven't decided if I wanna do the kit lens (EF 28-135mm IS) or get the body and go with the EF-S 17-85mm IS. Leaning towards the kit since it will save a little cash and seems to be a little more versatile (I'll just have to get good with stitching for wider angle shots until I can get the 10-22).

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Where was this list 6 weeks ago when I took the plunge? I tried looking at reviews, but when there are 75 cameras on the market, sometimes you need a little help filtering it down to a manageable selection.

All the kits that I looked at were selling with a 18-55mm lens. I got used to a wider lens than that with my 35mm Nikon, so I wanted more zoom than 55mm would give.

I ended up going with a Sony A-200 with a 18-70 lens. And it didn't even make the list.
I hope I didn't make a mistake.

el_vaquero

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BelchFire @ Apr 13 2008, 04:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Where was this list 6 weeks ago when I took the plunge? I tried looking at reviews, but when there are 75 cameras on the market, sometimes you need a little help filtering it down to a manageable selection.

All the kits that I looked at were selling with a 18-55mm lens. I got used to a wider lens than that with my 35mm Nikon, so I wanted more zoom than 55mm would give.

I ended up going with a Sony A-200 with a 18-70 lens. And it didn't even make the list.
I hope I didn't make a mistake.[/b]

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big names, it's mostly personal preference. Besides, Sony is making some of Nikon's sensors now and Sony has Zeiss glass, right? I think you'll like it a lot.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
And Sony got into cameras by buying Minolta's camera unit, didn't they? I'm not disappointed, just (always) second guessing myself. It's a nice camera, just VERY complicated.

el_vaquero

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BelchFire @ Apr 14 2008, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And Sony got into cameras by buying Minolta's camera unit, didn't they? I'm not disappointed, just (always) second guessing myself. It's a nice camera, just VERY complicated.[/b]
They're all so complicated these days....and I think you're right about Minolta. And I think all the top brands have something that makes them unique and good, that's why I think a lot of it is up to personal preference, ergonumics, function buttons, etc..

Top Bottom