The wife's 2019 buck ; )

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
Well , I headed off to X9A and left the wife ( Melanie) at home . She has a B tag and an X4 tag. ( X4 doesnt open till early Oct. )
Her and I have maybe taken 10 bucks together over the years so i know she is ready to go totally solo.
She gets into our spot before daylight using a flashlight which always has a piece of blue painters tape over the lense to cut the light down to a dull glow. She is sitting behind a large rock watching the "normal" area where animals show up.
Maybe 20 minutes into shooting light. She looks back behind her into an area of oaks. I told her many times about how many times I have been "back doored" in this spot by deer or bear so to "keep looking behind you."
She can clearly see at 174 yds that this is a very legal buck. But she now has to turn around for a shot, she is in clear view of this deer. She picks a moment when his head is down and makes her move. Now the stare down begins. The buck is staring right at her , the stare down lasts for almost 10 minutes. She is not moving a muscle ! He then drops his head down to feed again. At this point she drops her bi-pod down which caused another , shorter stare down from the deer. After that stare down, she puts the cross hairs right in the crease behind the shoulder of this broadsided buck. At this point her body is totally vibrating from a big shot of adrelalin and her heart is beating so hard that the crosshairs are moving up and down with her heart beats. She squeezed a round off in between beats and the buck dissapears. She cranks another round in and makes her way over to where she last saw the buck and finds him down and not moving . She gave out a verbal thank to God and then starts bawling with joy. It was a Tall, Big Bodied 4X2 .
After gaining her composure , she field dresses it ( Again, ALL BY HERSELF as I am 380 miles away ) , does a 1/4 - 1/3 mile drag with plenty of uphills, gets it home and skins it. She did have to call for help to get it hung in the cold room, she could not lift it.
I am so proud of this girl !
Here is a pic of hers and the one I got (3x3) on tuesday after the opener in 9A.

Resized_Resized95201909219507364195001(2).jpeg

Resized_20190924_093309.jpeg

Resized_20190925_163137.jpeg

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Wow, super congrats to your wife and u for filling your tags! That’s a great accomplishment for sure to b on her own and have such patients to get through the stare downs and then get a successful shot off and then gut and drag a deer back, we’re the heck do u find a women like that u lucky man! Damn I bet she great cook like the pioneer woman when it comes to wild game too......lol thanx for sharing and cool pics!...tra

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
Wow, super congrats to your wife and u for filling your tags! That’s a great accomplishment for sure to b on her own and have such patients to get through the stare downs and then get a successful shot off and then gut and drag a deer back, we’re the heck do u find a women like that u lucky man! Damn I bet she great cook like the pioneer woman when it comes to wild game too......lol thanx for sharing and cool pics!...tra
She's perty and has all her teeth too ; )

Melanie's 1st buck.jpeg

20190503_162752.jpg

TheGDog

Reaction score
Right on! What was her chosen piece of surgical equipment (the rifle, what caliber)?

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
No that’s fnnn hilarious about the teeth.. ...lol u did good brother I always root for couples that r true soulmates like me and my wife 21 yrs now and she is my biggest fan and supporter, except I do all the cooking or we would b eating ramen soup everyday if she was the cook.....lol...tra

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
Right on! What was her chosen piece of surgical equipment (the rifle, what caliber)?
Glad you asked GDog . She is set up with a 25.06 Super flat shooting with not a lot of shoudler hurtin' buck to it . The guy who taught me a lot about buck hunting shot a 25.06. If I didn't already have my personal pea shooter for deer hunting ..... I would shoot a 25.06 . She is shooting a 3250 Ft. / sec 100 grain Barnes copper load . Smokin' fast, super flat shootin' load.

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
BTW , I spent a couple hours with Jesse , YES Jesse ! ....with my hunting partner Steve this past week at our camp. Super good dude !! I wish it wasn't after doing my whole buck dragging skinning thing . I was very tired and ready for bed. Jesse is a good dude for sure . Wish I was still there to hang out with him . He is still there hunting hard ...( I Know Where You Are Jesse ! ; ) .
I settled for an ok 3x3 ..... he is looking for at LEAST that or better . Lets wish him the best . I hope he gets a better one than me !
BOW

Jake F

Reaction score
She ROCKS! Congrats to you guys! Thanks for sharing BOW. I'm still looking forward to getting out. This weekend is starting to look good.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Thanks for your response about the caliber. This Archery Season is definitely reminding me of how tore-up my shoulders are. We'll see how it goes. If it weren't for the fact that it's hunting... so you don't have to shoot a lot anyway while you're out there... I'd seriously consider dropping down to something like that or a .243 Win. Even been considering trying with .223 Rem.

But... I do have to be somewhat concerned about them going down quickly since I'm not all that far from a private property line. So... for the time being... we'll put up with the .308 Win.

Although if I don't get my buck tomorrow and have to go into General Season for it... I'm going to try to take it with the Marlin 1894 .44 Mag if I'm still hunting for it in this same "thick spot". The shots here aren't further than 50yds.

I saw two on Cam now that have reaffirmed my resolve to keep trying in there. One of them looks like a 3x3 with good height (for this area anyway).

TheGDog

Reaction score
If I didn't already have my personal pea shooter for deer hunting ..... I would shoot a 25.06
Aw C'Mon now... ya can't say something like that without telling us all what you mean by "pea shooter"!

Bigolwiggler

Reaction score
G dog . I have a 30.06 .... Tweaked........ semi standard Mod 700 BDL Remington. My Killin machine. It does the job .... somehow. And ....I can use it for larger game. I just have it toned down for deer so I don't rip up very much meat..... which is my focus.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Right on. That's part of why I wanna try the .44 Mag Lever-Action. I liked how the .30-30 didn't tear up meat so much. But this .44 Mag is a full Pound lighter!

Top Bottom