Thermal Hog Hunting

canamrider07

Reaction score
I have used the new, ATN ThOR LT 160, thermal scope a few times so far. It is a basic thermal, does not record, has the needed features for what I need. Here's what I have learned so far. I can scan a field (at night), 200-400 acres, in a few seconds to see if there are any hogs out. Now this is what is exciting. The hogs can't see me. My first night I sat in a drainage ditch in a field, a hog trail. I could see around 25 hogs headed my way, a few hundred yards out. They were taking their time, humping each other, and I was just watching. They crossed the road and started walking towards me. I'm thinking I better shoot or I'm going to have to shoot them with my pistol. I shot a couple, but it was pure chaos once I shot. Some ran right past me and I could hear them whiz by me. I'm just learning the distance between me and the hogs with the scope, it's hard to tell. So what I do if I catch hogs in a field, I walk right out to them. I keep seeing how close I can get. I will walk, stop, check the hogs with the thermal make sure they are still there, then keep walking. I can get within 50 feet, or less, so far. I will shoot one and the others will run. Sometimes they run out of range, sometimes I can keep going after them. I don't shoot running hogs, I figure I will get them later. I keep making some mistakes. Like seeing hogs to far out in a field but trying to get them. Once I was half way out walking towards some hogs thinking I made a big mistake, it was to far. But I kept going. Now it's night I can't really see the ground, weeds are knee high, I'm exhausted, I get withing shooting distance, look in the scope, its deer, "F". What is really going to be fun is sitting at my feeders at night. During the summer the hogs only come in at night to the feeders. This big boar I shot at the feeder I thought was just a sow. I was really close and thought she would easily go down. I took the shot and "he" took off and crashed through branches of the tree i was under. I quickly got up and shot again. I really had no idea it was a big boar. I would recommend a "Texas Thermal Hog Hunt" to add to anyone's bucket list. GOPR4696.JPG GOPR4699.JPG

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Wtg my friend! Very cool, a very different way of hunting. Here in FL. U can night hunt hogs too.
Nice write up thnx fir sharing!...tra

Latest Posts

Top Bottom