They MADE Me Do It... I Swear!

TheGDog

I'd been curious to try a .17 HMR for a long time. During my last outing where I was hunting for Rabbits... just so happens the area seems to present with 50-120yd shots on the Bunnies most of the time. In speaking with others they said .17 HMR was the way to go for those shot distances.

So last night... Turners goes and emails their advert for their Wednesday-Only Off-The-Hook Special.... and there it was... front-and-center.... a Savage 93R17 FV... and they dropped it down to $229!!!

I couldn't help it... the struggle was real y'all. I had to! So boom... DROS was started today. Already love the Accu-Trigger. I didn't necessarily want a heavy barrelled model... but whatever... 60 bucks off normal list price helped me get past that! :)

TheGDog

Any recommendations by other users of this rifle out there for lead-free rounds that group well?

TheGDog

Took her to the range today! Man.. I am SOLD! This .17 HMR business is Legit! It's awesome shooting a rifle that you know can shoot better than you are capable of shooting it!
CCI TNT Green HP's Lead-Free 16gr 2500fps.

This was at 25yds of the small counter top at the indoor range shooting off a rolled-up blanket. I'm actually excited to see what this thing can do in the field!

The other holes were me taking shots at this target at 25yds with my 2.7in barreled Sig P238 .380ACP. Managed to get a few in the black ;)

WP_20170926_010.jpg

Wino

My 11yo son has the 93r17 standard barrel. It's a great squirrel killer. I zero'd it at 100 yards and my son has no problem knock'em down out to 150 yards. I have used it out to 170. I have not tried any lead free ammo in it yet. With rabbits, you should go for head shots. We have had some meat damage with some of the body shots. A lot more damage then his 22lr. I was suprised when he used his 17hmr on a 22lr metal spinner target. It ruined it with a pass through. Here's my son with his painted 17hmr from the other day. He fancies himself as a squirrel sniper hence the leafy cammo. The other picture is a Texas heart shot squeak at 130 yards. That's the exit wound

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BNJ3JW]

TheGDog

Excellent that you have a leafy camo suit for him! The 3D leafy wear has been the hot ticket for me personally. Can't recommend it enough! Looks like he's shooting out in the same area I plan to take mine in CNF.

Wino

I don't have a 3D camo suit for him. He just grabbed mine. I rarely use it any more. I used to use it bow hunting in San Diego but stop when I ended up hunting on a whim one day and forgot it. Ended up hunting in blue jeans and a camo t-shirt. Also ended up arrowing my first buck.....nearly piont blank. Wind was just in my favor.

Last edited:

garlicsalt

I had groups like that at 100 yards, all day long. always head shot on rabbits. i have the bull barrel and really like it. haven't used unleaded yet. you are stoked. ENJOY!

TheGDog

Just crossing my fingers hoping I'll be able to limit out on Rabbits on Saturday! But heck...I'll consider it a success if I only take 1... at those same longer distances that were giving me problems before. Figure it's likely I'll still have to adjust some Left-to-Right a little bit once I actually start reaching out to targets actually at 100yds, but I think the Up-and-Down is pretty spot-on where it needs to be. Calc programs were stating -.38in / -9.652mm from center when sighting in at the 25yds. and that's about exactly what those shots represent... especially if I had a better rest to shoot from.

It's gonna be soo freakin schweet to watch one of those fat bootied bunnies that were presenting at 60yds+ go "POP!"

The 1st BDC mark down is like for 147yds! So shoot... freaking everything is just gonna be bullseye...Boom! bullseye...Boom! Only time I'm gonna have to think about it is when they are up real close since the POI will be coming up from under the line of sight a lil bit.

DonQuixote

I have that exact rifle. It's a little heavy due to the barrel, but because it's a light gun to begin with it lends to stability for off-hand shots. Can't wait to get mine out into the squirrel woods as soon as deer season wraps. Have fun with it!

TheGDog

Think I need to get an aftermarket stock on it. Needs higher cheek piece so I can get a proper cheek-weld and know that my eyes will then be aligned with the scope. This stock synthetic stock.... it's too low to weld your cheek onto it and still have your eyes up high enough to be in the view-box of the scope properly. Forces you to lift you head up a bit to search for alignment with the scope sorta free-neck, if you will. Not soo great for wanting to rapidly get on target of your Bunnies.

Top Bottom