Thief Cam

dueber

Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting a small "thief cam" in a tree, pointed toward a lower trail cam in hopes of catching anyone stealing my stuff. I ordinarily wouldn't go to this measure, but I need to put a cam on a game trail that has a fairly high potential for trespassing. I would position the thief cam so that it would not be triggered by anything on the trail, only by activity directly around the trail cam. I would then disable the thief cam's flash and set it on a short delay, in hopes of getting multiple shots of anyone toying with the trail cam.

My question (coming from a newby) : Will the flash on the trail cam trigger the thief cam in the tree? Has anyone else experimented with a "thief cam" type setup?

Thanks

bat

Reaction score
dueber, never heard of a "flash" used to trigger a cam but why not just build up a cheap cam with a pir unit to trigger anything that is around the main cam. I wouldn't think you would just want the thief cam triggering off of a flash. The person stealing your cam may be behind the main cam so it wouldn't be flashing to trip the thief cam. It would work if a thief cam (using a pir detector) was set up looking at your main cam though.
bat

dueber

Reaction score
Thanks bat

I didn't explain things very well. Sorry. I want to make sure the flash from the main cam does not trigger the thief cam. If it does trigger it then I get a bunch of photos on the thief cam that I'm not interested in, since the thief cam is pointed toward the main cam, not the trail. I'm hoping to have the thief cam only be triggered by activity directly around the main cam. Given that, do you know if a flash will trigger the PIR?

Thanks again

bat

Reaction score
no the flash should not trigger the thief cam... now if you have a slave unit with the thief cam it might trigger it.
bat

Latest Posts

Top Bottom