Thinkin of switching to a BA insulated pad.

Archer32

Reaction score
I'm currently using the Zlite foamy pad. That sucker is getting old to sleep on. Not very comfortable, but it does its job. I'm thinking of getting a Big Anges Mummy 5'8" Insulated Air Core pad. Its only 1oz heavier then the unisulated model and its rating is to 15degrees so it should be fine for most of archery season out here in MT.

Question is if I using a Outdoor Research Advanced bivy should I put it in the bivy or sleep on top of it. Its 2.5" thick and I'm already feeling tight in the bivy vertical wise. I also don't want to puncture the pad or rip up my Bivy. This past year I've always put my bivy ontop of the Zlite foam pad. How do you guys use air pad / bivy combo's?

brave52000

Reaction score
I'm with you on the Zlite being old at times to sleep on, but until I have to worry about it popping, I'm not gonna switch to an inflatable.

Archer32

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brave52000 @ Mar 16 2008, 08:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm with you on the Zlite being old at times to sleep on, but until I have to worry about it popping, I'm not gonna switch to an inflatable.[/b]
I know what you mean about not popping. I'm looking at that too. I don't like how big it is though. It would be nice to carry an air pad internally in my pack. Whereas the orange block is always being caught on something navigating the thick stuff. I here these Big Anges pads are next to being bullet proof....

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I went through the exact same switch. I got rid of my Z lite and ditched it to Arrowslinger. Unless you are a featherweight like him, the Zlite sucks. The BA Air Core pad is awesome. It's super comfortable and packs up light and small, literally no bigger than maybe a Nalgene bottle. The guy at REI who sold me on the pad swore I couldn't pop it. He blew it up, put it on the floor and jumped up and down on it. That pretty much sold me. Worst case, it does come with a little patch kit that goes in the stuff sack. My only complaint is that if you are not on level ground, the pad is bit slick and you will slide off it.

el_vaquero

Reaction score
Been thinking about it myself....but waiting till the next trip comes and since I have nothing planned and a newborn at home, I don't think it's anytime soon

BackCountryHNTR

Reaction score
I use the "foamy" grey/black pad outside under the bivy, and inside the bivy a light XPG cabelas pad 3/4, about 2Lbs on padding and totally worth it.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
I have the regular rectangle one and it is 24 oz. The mummy's or 3/4 length ones would obviously be a lot lighter.

Ernie

Reaction score
Another good pad is the DownMat 7. Regular size is 28 0z. Costs a bit more than the BA... but I'm old and worth it.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I don't mind the thermarest ridgerest I have, I just take four tylenol pm's and I wake up in the morning refreshed. Just kidding, I am blessed being able to fall asleep anywhere in very little time so I just have a pad for insulation value alone, if I could do it safely I would not even carry a pad.

Archer32

Reaction score
I picked her up today at Sportsmans Warehouse. Insulated Big Agnes Mummy 3/4. Weighs 21oz and boy does it feel good to lay on. Gone are the days of me waking up with sore shoulders, arms that feel asleep and a sore back. I'm just hoping that she'll take a beating like SDHNTR dished out in REI.... Plus no more crap hanging off the underside of my pack! I'm happy, I'm sure I'll sleep allot better and have more energy on my hunts!

suavegato

Reaction score
I am 40 years old, have 3 bad discs in my back and I am a side sleeper. I got the Stephenson's DAM (down air mat) and haven't looked back. It's pricey but at 4" thick worth every penny to me... It packs up small as could be and it's pretty light for a 4" thick pad! As for poping it, it's pretty well made and sturdy but it has a patch kit just in case. I also cary a std. 5/8" blue foam pad to put under the DAM to help prevent punctures from the ground debrise. It only weight like 7 oz, so no big. I haven't put the DAM in my bag but could if it got really cold or I was on a steep slope I spose. the DAM is VERY warm! In fact, I usually unzip my bag and use it like a quilt to regulate heat.

One thing I have found too is that you don't inflate it full... just about 3/4, then when you get on it, it evens out the pressure in just the right places.... I love mine! Oh, it also comes with a stuff sack that is an inflater too!
http://www.warmlite.com/start.htm

SierraFool

Reaction score
I dont remember what brand but last season I bought a Air/down sleeping pad. This thing is awesome warm as can be and lite.

Rustyb

Reaction score
I have a BA uninsulated pad. I love it. Had it for two years, no leaks. Actually bought it based on a recommendation from this forum. Getting a good comfortable night's sleep is so important. One thing I have found with mine is, it can be noisy on against a tent floor.

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
I currently have a Thermo like a lot of other people. Heading to REI tomorrow for a clinic and I'm gonna check out the BA Air Core. You guys are talking good on the product so it's worth a look. Looks to be cheaper to and with REI's return policy, maybe have a few peso's left....

Monsterbull

Reaction score
I'm thinking of one of the BA insulated airpads as well. I just weighed all my stuff, and I've got to shed some poundage. My Thermarest came in at 37oz's!! That just won't do. The small mummy BA is 18oz.

wyemjohnson

Reaction score
I just ordered the Pacific Ether Series insulated air pad, same size, weight and price as the BA, but twice the R value, wondering if it will hold
up as well? any thoughts on it?

Monsterbull

Reaction score
I picked up the Pacific Outdoor Ether Thermo 6 regular. Except for the color, the material, size, weight, and price is exactly like the BA but, like wyemjohnson said, has a higher R rating. At 21 oz overall, I cut a full pound from my pack.

Top Bottom