Thinking about 4x4

Archer82

Reaction score
Hello everybody. Im in the market to buy an suv. I want to get a toyota 4runner 4x4 but wanted to pick your brains about vehicle selection for hunting/daily driver options. Do you use the same vehicle as your daily driver that you use for hunting ? in today’s hunting world is 4x4 necessary ? Im completely new to hunting and would greatly appreciate some insight and advice.

dummer71

Reaction score
What are you planning to hunt and where are you planning to hunt?

4x4 is definitely nice to have and can be necessary in some areas and weather conditions. In the SUV Category, I would look at a jeep wrangler and cherokee in addition to a 4runner. A truck can be nice for tossing gear and game in the bed.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I have always owned a 4x4 of some kind. I may not use the 4x4 feature very frequently but when you need it it is nice to have. I currently own an F250 4x4 so for a daily driver it is a little big but every time I try to figure the cost of adding a smaller vehicle it just doesn't pencil out. I do use my wife's Honda as much as I can but I drive the F250 way more than I drive her car.
Can you deer hunt without a 4x4? Absolutely you can. You just need to be more careful about the weather and areas you hunt. Where I shot my buck last year I could have driven almost any car to within 1 mile of that area.
I would think a 4 runner would do a little better on fuel than a gas F250 so if I were you I would see how it goes before I bought an additional daily driver.

quaildeath

Reaction score
I have owned an F150, Cherokee and now an FJ Cruiser. All 4x4.
Def not 100% needed. Anywhere I go though I have the confidence I can get back with about 90% confidence.

Archer82

Reaction score
thanks !!! i was thinking the same, i may not need to use 4x4 every time i go hunting but in the situation i need it i’d rather be safe and have it. Ill be hunting in southern CA this coming fall season.

quaildeath

Reaction score
My Cherokee was very good. Light, straight 6, and solid front axle.

Sawfish

Reaction score
I the past 55+years I have never been without at least one four wheel drive. Currently have a 1993 K-2500 Suburban; 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab; and an 1985 Jeep Scrambler. All have been used as daily drivers, and work fine. Quaildeath is exactly right. You may not need 4WD to get you there, but you surely might get need it to get you back home. Equip it with a basic tool kit, first aid kit, wheel chains, axe, jump start or jumper cables, and a tow chain.

Reaction score
not sure if you got something or not.. I had a jeep XJ Cherokee for a long time. It wasn't a daily driver just fun huting offroad rig. it was great for hauling dogs around but hard to keep clean with dogs and game inside. Did day trips and overnite camping and loved it except for smelling stinky dogs all the time.

I cleaned it up and sold it last year and bought a 2014 Tacoma and put on a camper shell. Love the truck for hunting with dogs and camping. 4X4 is a must for me. Love SUV but they hard to keep clean with dogs. truck bed is easier for me

essmanfam2

Reaction score
My father-in-law has been hunting most of his life and has always prided himself on being able to take a 2wd anywhere a 4wd could go... until '05 deer season when he couldn't. Now it is the family joke that even my kids are in on now.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
My favorite 4x4 I owned was a early 90’s Ford Explorer edie Bauer edition, it was a six cylinder great on gas plenty of room to carry everything u need for a long hunting trip. If the weather was to harsh to sleep out I had a full size air mattress that fit in the back perfect. Out of all my 4 wheel vehicles I owned the explorer was my favorite because it was all beat up already and broken in I didn’t have to wash it for months....lol but it always preformed well. my other vehicles where show and high maintenance and a lot detail work to always maintain that’s why I liked the explore I just had to put gas and oil in it and keep on trucking!......lol.....tra

P304X4

Reaction score
All good advice, a winch on the vehicle could also come in handy. I heard long age to use two wheel drive until you start to get in trouble then use four wheel drive to back you out of trouble.

Top Bottom