Thinking about getting a trail cam.

Mossy Beard

Reaction score
I've been "lurking" around the site and thought I'd jump in.
I'm thinking of building / buying a game camera.
Looking for suggestions as I know absolutely nothing about them.
It looks as though there are a lot of very experienced people here.
I think I could build one having above average mechanical skills. (IMHO)
I have contacted 1 man so far who is going to have "kits" but they're not quite ready yet.
If anyone has any suggestions... fire away.
This looks like a bunch of fun , just have to get started .

Many Thanks,
Mossy Beard

davered1

Reaction score
You can run down to WAL-MART(WM2 sensor) or Radio Shack (49-425 sensor)and pick up a sensor,5V relay and a switch or 2. then tackle the sensor. After that buy a camera from ******(prewired or not)  and find an enclosure.

There will be a little horsing around with first on e but when it falls into place it will be come apparent how easy they are.

Cameras can also be found on EBAY.

Part numbers can be found on homwbrew front page.

That will keep you busy for a while

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Mossy Beard,Welcome to JHP. Your going to love this site. Dave has given you good advice. Don't let it intimidate you. Just print off the instructions from Jesse's page deppending on which sensor you go with and follow it step by step. If you have trouble just start a thread and someone here will help you.Good luck.

Dbworld

Reaction score
Above average mechanical skills are not necessary.  I had none last December.  Then I read a post by bat earlier this week that said I was a major contributor.  http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/cgi-bin/i...&topic=2827   (Thanks bat.  I was beaming when I read that!) Ha!  I still know nothing.  I did get lucky on one digital camera.  That's about the biggest contribution I've made.  

Make your own.  It's not that tough.  It's more satisifying (IMO) when you get your pics.

Easiest way to go is a d370 (easiest to wire) digital with Brians complete board.  No brainer there.  I think it would be tough to mess up...though I have to admit a d370 was the only cam I have ever screwed up.  But that was because I was trying to quit smoking at the time. Was a little shaky.....

(Edited by Dbworld at 12:45 pm on June 28, 2002)

(Edited by Dbworld at 1:07 pm on June 28, 2002)

Stever

Reaction score
****CAUTION*****
This site is very addictive!
Once the bug sets in, and that is whether you build it yourself from scratch or you buy the pre done pieces and assemble it yourself, look out cause you will be hooked.
Glad to have you aboard!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Yes, welcome to the site, it's addictive alright, Take That Warning seriously

Jesse is thinking of adding a new Forum called MCA, "Movement Camera Anomonous", to try to get some of us off cams and back to our wives......

Tinhorn

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello group, My name is Brian Gennings and I am a Cam aholic.:toast-yellow::boozin:

Sign me up twice for MCA.  Maybe we can get together and share ideas for new cams.  Opps.  I did it again.

Hello and welcome to the site!

gizz

Reaction score
Welcome MossyBeard!

Yes, like everyone else said.

Dbworld - I understand bro! I quit chewing tobacco on Feb 2 and never touched it since. But those first few weeks I would've smashed anything in sight, including owl pfs and d-370's.

Dbworld

Reaction score
<font size="6">Hi Mossy Beard!!!!</font>

My names Dave...and it's been 2 weeks since I've built my last camera....

(Edited by Dbworld at 5:52 pm on June 28, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
Hey DB,

Your first post should show you how <font size="5">BIG</font>  your contribution was.

Without the 370 no one could ever have posted a digital as being the <font size="5">EASIEST camera to Start with</font>

Constitutionalist

Reaction score
Mossy Beard,

Take some advice and build your first one.  You won't regret it.  There is more than enough information on this site to get you through your first seven or eight (especially with all the modifications you will do on each subsequent camera) cameras without a hitch.

Now, if after building your first one, you want to buy one, have at it.  But I WILL bet my paycheck THAT won't happen!

Eric

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
Welcome Mossy Beard! Glad you decided to join in! Build a cam, you won't regret it!! If I can do it, ANYONE can do it!! I've completed 2 cams in the past few weeks and have #3 and #4 about 25% done. VERY addicting for sure! These guys can help you out of any problem that you may run into!

bat

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Mossy Beard, these guys are right.  I just wanted one....then two then three then four then five.....still working on more lol.  I had no soldering experience except from about 40 years ago and then it was "very" limited.  Go for it, you will enjoy every minute of it.......after you get it finished hehe.

Db, thanks, I mentioned only a few names on that post but "EVERYBODY" whether their name was mentioned or not "is" a contributor to this forum in one way or another.  It is a great site.  bat  

Latest Posts

Top Bottom