Thinking about taking up coyote hunting

wolverine

Reaction score
I've noticed that coyote numbers have exploded in my area in the past two years. I guess I saw my first coyote around here about ten years ago. Now you can hear them every evening and they frequently pass by while I'm in the stand.  I've  even heard of them attacking nearby livestock, although i haven't had that problem yet. I'm an avid outdoorsman and have thought about getting into coyote hunting/trapping. Aside from the state regulations that I'll have to abide by is there anything else I would need to know. Is there a market for the hides? Suggested calibers for the hunt. etc.

Hook

Reaction score
Wolverine, Welcome to Jesse's. You have come to the right place to get all your varmint hunting questions answered and more.

As for hides, winter time is the best time to harvest coyotes for their hides. I am not sure about the market in your area, but I am sure someone here could tell you.

Favorite coyote calibers are 223, 22-250, 243 just to name a few. There are some posts here discussing the different calibers, browse through them and you will get all sorts of info. Don't hesitate to post any questions that you may have also.

Good luck on getting your first coyote. Just remember it takes presistance.  

jmabbott888

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, there is alot of good info here on hunting & even better people. As far as calibers go I've seen everthing from 17 rem to 3006 used on them on this website alone. Make sure you check the hunting regs in your area out here in Calif the seasons year round.

wolverine

Reaction score
I appreciate the welcome fellas. I've found Jesses to be a very informative site. I found a  link to predatormasters and it has been helpful.

h2obobh2o

Reaction score
Wolverine...

Welcome to the forum! I hunt coyotes with a .17 cal Remington, usually at night (legal here in PA), or early morning, I have a Lohman 2000 electronic caller, but have since gotten into mouth blown calls, and I prefer them over the electronic caller. I also use a decoy, made by decoyhearts (www.decoyhearts.com). I just got back into trapping last year, and didn't get any yotes, but I did get a few fox. This year I am going try harder for a coyote in the trap. As far as the fur goes, it really isn't worth getting into trapping if you want to make some easy money, prime coyotes in PA were getting 15.00-20.00, 25.00 for a huge one. All of my furs from this year I had tanned, our local fur buyer sends them out, 15.00 for a fox, 25.00 for a coyote. Trapping to me is just another way of spending quality time outdoors, and thinning out the predators that are putting a hurtin on our small game, songbirds, fawns, livestock etc.etc.....Good Luck to you!

wolverine

Reaction score
Woodsman. Just curious, what's the story behind the "Turkeys or Man" pics?

Latest Posts

Top Bottom