Thirtieth anniversary

Chuck N. Lead

Reaction score
My friend Joe and his longtime hunting buddy Hank booked a trip to Newfoundland in 1960 to hunt moose. They equipped themselves with brand new Weatherby Mark V Deluxe rifles with weatherby scopes. It was a sucessful hunt and Joe continued to use that rifle as his primary gun up to 1986 when he shot his last whitetail deer. He was roughly 72 years old then but continued hunting for another ten. I was given this rifle a few years ago after his passing and decided to put together some hand loads last year and take it to the woods. Almost exactly thirty years to the day in roughly the same spot, the Weatherby and I were blessed with an opportunity and a clean kill. It was a mile and half drag but worth every ounce of sweat. 20161127_173126.jpgDownload$Resized95IMG9520161119951218072141_2.jpg2012-12-02_13-33-01_588.jpg

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Chuck that is a great story of past and present success with the same gun how cool is that, congrats on the whitetail! Thanks for sharing!.........tra

P304X4

Reaction score
Chuck that is a great story of past and present success with the same gun how cool is that, congrats on the whitetail! Thanks for sharing!.........tra
X2 May you be blessed with many more successful hunts

Chuck N. Lead

Reaction score
300 WBY. Not exactly a whitetail cartridge lol! Joe loved the rifle and used it for everything. I was tasked with researching load data that wouldn't turn a buck inside out. I've seen what a 150gr. Bullet will do at such a high velocity and my buddy wouldn't allow me the sacrilege of detuning the load down to 30-0 6 velocities so I chose a 165 grain Hornady A max. It's a thicker jacketed bullet that won't open up too fast or too much. It turned out to be the perfect round, heart lung shot that allowed the buck to bleed out quickly without damaging any meat whatsoever.

Top Bottom