This is Bear Scat also, right?

TheGDog

Just to confirm... this is a Bear Scat filled with choke-cherry pits. Right?

I've seen these same types of mounds that looked way bigger than this in other locations. Too big I thought to be a deer.
WP_20171029_001.jpg

Last edited:

huntingcali

Yes, that is bear scat. See it all the time. Looks like he's been eating the berries off of a manzanita bush. Looks like you have a feeding source if it's fresh.

TheGDog

Thanks. This area did have both. The regular looking bear scats... and this kind. The berries these come from taste really good. I was pretty sure they were Bear Scats because in another area I'd seen the scats like these... and they were big enough I knew it wasn't from a deer. And also saw the bear prints in the mud at a water crossing.

But here I was in a quandry because I figure deer probably eat these also. And some of the piles weren't as big that you immediately thought "Bear". So figured I'd ask.

So thanks for confirming. Plan to be back out there this Weekend and do some calling for them. It's likely gonna rain too. It'll be interesting.

dthome

Yup. Yotes and foxes will eat those berries, too. Their scat can look like that, too.
Deer scat doesn't contain seeds like that.

OPAH

Too much for a yote or bobcat, I would say a younger bear, that Momma kick out of the den

TheGDog

As long as he's big enough to be legal (which technically is greater than 50 Lbs). Though I think if he didn't look at least like 150 Lbs+ ... as much as it makes me choke to say it... I just might have to let him go. For my first one I'd like it to at least be big enough where it looks decent enough in size where people don't give ya a ration of chet for having taken it. Ya know?

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Man I hope u guys can tell the difference between a bear patti and and a cow patti.....lol
turkeys have berries in their scat too butt a lot smaller pile. Coyotes will have a lot of fur in their poo........tra

TheGDog

Mostly I was just asking the question because I'm sure Deer eat these same berries too... just wasn't sure how it looks coming out of them.

dthome

That looks like the result of a bear eating fine grasses from the spring. I don’t think that’s fur.

Top Bottom