This may be a dumb queston

Dermody15

Reaction score
As you can see im new to this sport but if i go coyote hunting i want to be good and ethical so im wondering what do you do after you shoot it? Do you just leave it there and let other yotes eat it or what?

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
I use the pelt for fly tying and eat the back straps  :gag-green: (taste like chicken!).:pickin-on-horse:
sp

hunter mike

Reaction score
Wingman,

I have tried that with the white wine and plum juice marinate, it is especially tasty.

Frank

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Wingman & hunter Mike, you guys are bad...(lol)

songdog

Reaction score
Hey, experience is the best teacher... from caliber to recipe :smile-wink:

QALHNTR

Reaction score
<font face="Tahoma">Hey Wingman, your new picture looks just like the way Marty describes you!</font>:bag-on-head:

Thonzberry

Reaction score
AH yotes, I :microwave-nuke: for 10 secounds. YUM YUM  :gag-green:

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Dermody,

This bunch of comedians oughtta keep their day jobs.  So let this non-yote hunter suggest that you DO NOT try to eat it but that you DO wanna skin it and keep the pelt.  

For basic care of the pelt, scrape it real well to remove all the meat and fat.  This takes time and effort, but if you don't, you may as well throw the stinking thing away.  Once you've got it scraped, salt it good, roll it up, and put it somewhere cool and dry.  After a couple of weeks, the salt should have pulled the moisture out of the skin.  Scrape it off again, and you have the basics for a workable skin.  You can rub it down with some neatsfoot oil or something to soften the skin side, or you can just tack it to a wall if that's your thing.

Some of the experienced varmint guys, when they quit giggling at themselves, can probably give you some more good tips for working with the hide once you get it off the critter.

songdog

Reaction score
Actually... when you get the hide off the critter, make sure all the fat and flesh is off the hide like Specmisser says.  After that you should be able to put the hide on a stretcher and let it dry.  The salt isn't necessary in this case.  After a couple of days, it will dry hard, kind of like cardboard.  At that point you can remove it from the stretcher and sell it to the fur auction or send it to the taxidermist.  This is what they look like when they're done...

PS - those are stretchers in the background

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
A lot depends on the hunter's personal views.  Some folks won't hunt things that they won't eat.  Others will hunt if they can utilize some part of the animal, like the pelt.  Still others look upon coyote hunting as helping out the other animals that the coyote would normally prey upon.

I've known guys that really do eat their coyotes.  I've had bobcat and it wasn't too bad but the first time you skin a coyote you'll be looking for a spot to hurl not cook.

In California you need a trapper's license in order to sell the coyote hides you take.  There are a couple guys in my club that used to skin, clean, and dry all the coyote fur they took over the season.  Once a year they'd load up a van and go to the fur sale up in Redding.  They made enough doing this to support their hunting for the rest of the year.  Fur prices aren't what they used to be but this can still be done.  You can also clean the skulls and sell them at things like rendezvous, or on eBay.  The mountain men and the goths just eat that stuff up.

If you take coyote under a sporting license you can still have them tanned for your own use, you just can't sell them (California specific, I don't know other state's regs).  Think Momma would let you hunt more often if you got her a coyote fur coat?  There's a lot of stuff you can do with a fur, an archery quiver comes to my mind right off the bat.

It all depends on where a person stands in their beliefs on different aspects of hunting.

Guy

Maverick

Reaction score
Well I do hope at  one of these JHP hunts a yote will be harvested and skined. I haven't tryed it myself yet {skining}. . Haven't one clue on how to skin a yote but i'am sure there is more then one way. lol.  It would be nice to have a couple of bobcat and yote furs.

Dermody15

Reaction score
would it be un-ethical to just leave the coyote for the other yotes to eat?

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
I learned all of my Mt. Quail “honey spots” from a trapper friend we called Trapper Joe (appropriately so). I would hunt while we ran his trap line. Joe was after Bob Cats. He called them "Lynx Cats".  He said they were a cross between Bob Cats and Lynx (I saw it in his fur trading book, I kid you not) and they are found primarily in the So Cal local Mts.. Lynx cat pelts are 3X as valuable. Oh ya… back to the yotes (just thought you needed to know that for some reason???
He trapped some coyotes and lots of Cats and after we skinned them, he would toss the carcass. I never felt good about this and I will tell you from experience that NOTHING will eat a Coyote but maggots.
I’m not sure where I’m headed with this one? Doc gave me painkillers and they seem to make me feel like Jack.

Better go now.:spin-yellow:
steve

pitdog

Banned
Reaction score
QALHNTR,
Don't listen to Marty. He's a Used Car Salesman for crying out loud... Of course... that doesn't mean he's wrong... it's just that... well... He's a used car salesman!
steve

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from Dermody15 on 7:34 pm on Aug. 14, 2002
would it be un-ethical to just leave the coyote for the other yotes to eat?
<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

That depends on you.  Some people will side one way and some the other.  This is probably a decision you'll have to make for yourself and about yourself.

Contrary to wingman's experiences, we've never had coyote carcasses last very long in the bushes.  Of course, it's always a good idea to dispose of something like that away from roads or trails.  It's not very good publicity for us to have the public stumble across the evidence of a successful hunt.

Guy

Tominator

Reaction score
Man, I bet Songdog's garage smells horrible with all those 'yotes in it! What do yotes do, piss on rocks and then roll around in it? Does the smell leave the hides? I won't even touch them when I drag then out, instead, I cut a limb with a fork coming out that is cut off about 6" long and place this in a hole cut in the joint of the leg and hold on to the other end.
Tominator

songdog

Reaction score
After I skin them I wash them before putting them on a stretcher.  As long as you do that and get all the fat/flesh off the back side of the hide, they really don't smell at all.  If anything, they smell like the flea spray that I hit them with to kill any bugs on them.  In that case, they smell more like the family dog than anything.

On the hoof though... that's a whole different story.

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
A friend of mine would toss them in the washing machine after the skins were fleshed and sewn.  A blow dry and dog brush when they came out ready for the stretcher and he always got top dollar for his hides.

Guy

songdog

Reaction score
I use to do that with a couple of old towels in the dryer... until my wife caught me.

Top Bottom