Three more coyotes and some pictures!

dabob

Reaction score
I made my first stand this morning at 11:00am. I was laying low in some sage brush with my shotgun.

Right at 12 minutes into the stand I saw a coyote to my left heading straight for me and my Foxpro. When the coyote got to about 25 yards away I sat up and dropped the coyote with a 3-1/2" 1-7/8 oz load of HW13 BB shot.
IMG_0811 by Robert Morris, on Flickr

On the very next stand I had my shotgun again and after playing Bay Bee Cottontail for about 5 minutes I saw a coyote heading my way.
IMG_0828 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_0823 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
When I took the second above picture I was looking for my Foxpro to come into view on the right.
IMG_0852 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_0859 - Copy by Robert Morris, on Flickr

I took a few more picture of this coyote before I sat up to shoot him with my shotgun. When the coyote saw me sit up he had a "I just screwed up" look on his face.

IMG_0870 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
He only traveled about 10 yards before the HW13 BB shot caught up with him.
IMG_0873 by Robert Morris, on Flickr

After 3 blank stands I set up overlooking a very big open area and I was laying prone with my 22-250.

About 300 yards away there was a fence line. In the big field on the other side of the fence there was some horses and some Tule Elk.

I was watching the elk when I spotted a coyote headed my way. It went through the fence and was traveling at a slow trot. When this coyote got to about 200 yards away from me it stopped facing me. I zoomed in my scope from 8 power to 12 power and the coyote still looked pretty narrow to me. LOL

So I switched sounds to Vole Squeaks and as soon as the coyote heard the Vole Squeaks sound it started heading for my Foxpro again. When It got to about 100 yards away I muted the Vole Squeaks sound and just a little later the coyote stopped at about 80 yards away.

At 80 yards the coyote looked a little wider and easier to hit so I dropped him with my 22-250.
IMG_0938 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
IMG_0912 by Robert Morris, on Flickr
The above picture is the open area I called the last coyote out of. You can see the Tule elk on the other side of the fence. My caller bag in the bottom of the above picture sticks out like a sore thumb. I normally put my Fusion and the SP-60 speaker on top of my calling bag but since there was no cover I set them on the ground in front of the bag to make a lower profile.

I made two more blank stands and then headed for home. It was another great day!

TheGDog

Reaction score
Absolutely LOVE how you can document the outing with pics right up until the last minute!

So question... for example... in this very open landscape with the Tule Elk... does that mean you've got your caller pretty much maxed-out on payback volume? And if so... do you simply let it remain at that high playback volume the whole time the coyote is coming in to the caller? Or do you bother to try to lower it's volume as the coyote gets closer?

Also... I noticed do motion decoy in the pics. Do you prefer calling without motion decoy? Or are there particular attributes about a particular call set that make you think that for this one you should use one... and this other one you shouldn't? If so... when DO you use a moition decoy and when do you opt not to?

Thank you for your time and thoughtful consideration of these questions.

-G

Last edited:

dabob

Reaction score
Not all coyotes like motion decoys. Some coyotes stop to look at the decoy when they first see it. I have had better luck using decoys on coyotes in places that there is more cover and if you want to call in bobcats, decoys work great on them.

Most of the time I will start out with a rat or rabbit sound that are not loud sounds, after playing them on full volume for 3 to 5 minutes. Then I switch to a louder rabbit or bird sound and get them up to full volume. I always play the coyote vocal sounds on full blast volume. The last half of the stands I make are with loud sounds on full volume.

When I am calling with a shotgun I leave the sound just like it is if I see a coyote heading for the caller. While rifle calling I will mute the sound when the coyote gets to about 150 yards away if it is running hard towards my caller. Quite often the coyotes will stop when I mute the caller, but not always.

When coyotes stop and I want to coax them in closer I use Vole Squeaks sound at half volume. Vole Squeaks is a very high pitch squeaking sound that bobcats and coyotes can't resist most of the time.

Lowering the volume when I have already seen a coyote approaching can make them stop or make them run faster to the caller. I never lower the volume or mute the sound when we have a shotgun shooter on stand. I only mute the sound to stop coyotes when I am hunting by myself with a rifle.

Most of the time when there are two of us hunting together we have a rifle and a shotgun on stand so we never mess with the volume if a coyote is heading for the caller. If the coyote stops in rifle range the rifle shooter shoots it. If the coyotes runs all the way in the shotgun shooter stops it with the shotgun.

TheGDog

Reaction score
Thank you very much for sharing those observations!

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Wow u put the hammer down on the yotes! Great pics and read thnx 4 sharing!....tra

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom