Thumbs up DFG

Litch

Reaction score
http://www.redding.com/news/2008/apr/02/ga...-backs-tactics/

Great job and thumbs up to DFG for this bust. Amazes me that a place like Red Bank, which has been around for a long time, stoops to such a low form of guiding hunters. Really unethical to have an 11 yr old kid on a "hunt" like this, that age is very impressionable. At least he learned that what the guide and his father did is wrong and that there are consequences for it.

Hitechhunter

Reaction score
Hunting, unfortunately, is becoming more and more about the trophy and less and less about the experience. Feeders, high fences, semi-tame "wildlife", and big dollars make it more like a video game than a challenge and an outdoor adventure.

I say we need to police ourselves better. Internet sites such as this, with people bragging about their big "trophy" using one of the above mentioned tactics, in no way compares to a successful fair chase experience. The poor soul who spends ten years to get his first little public land deer deserves the all the praise, but the guy who forks over big bucks to go shoot a caged or tame animal just shouldn't be awarded the same praise.

I call on us to police ourselves and not blindly give high-fives to hunters who kill animals via marginal techniques.

A trophy does not come from inside a fence or next to a feeder. Perhaps Jesse can open a new category to post those photo's in, to keep them from polluting the results of those who actually use hard work, skill and dedication to finally harvest a mature animal.

We're going to harvest a cow soon, anybody want to pay me big money to come shoot it?

JakeCarter

Reaction score
wow.... they had their blind 30 yards from the feeder and it wasn't even a legal bird. Shame on the dad and the guide/club, I feel sorry for the kid though, first turkey hunting experience and it has to go down like that. Hope they throw the book at the club, it's stuff like this that gives the anti's the ammo they need to eat away at our sport.

Hitechhunter

Reaction score
..and he was only eleven.

I have a good recipe for poached turkey.

Kentuck

Reaction score
On one of my first turkey hunts in CA we had a bird come in first thing. It had the head of a gobbler but no beard. He didn't strut around but it sure did look like a gobbler. Had to let it go. Found out later that DFG planted some turkeys in the area and trimmed the beards off the gobblers so they wouldn't get killed too soon.

The dad should have known better. Guide or no guide.

db 183

Reaction score
I have to agree that this was a good bust. Mr. Riley was ticked off but he admitted that the bird did not have a visible beard and there was a feeder in range.

I say keep an honest man honest. Why not remove the feeders prior to opening day so there is no question? Would have solved a huge problem.

Also, I understand wanting to get your kid his/her first bird but it feels better when you work at it and do it right. Teach him to wait until a legal bird with a visible beard comes in. Having to pass on this illegal bird would have made it even more worth while once he finally connected on a legal bird.

People get way over zealous when they pay for a hunt and it involves their kid. Kind of like parents at their kids ball games. They often lose their ability to reason or use common sense.

I hope in the end, everyone learns from this. I agree with Hi-Tech too. We need to police ourselves and exercise restraint in these situations.

One last comment in defense of the Dad and his kid. When you go on a professional hunt, you have to be able to trust that the guide and the outfit aren't going to do illegal things and try to convince you that it is ok. Dad may not have questioned the tactics because he trusted the guide. Dad may have been too caught up in the experience to see what was happening.

JNDEER

Reaction score
Bobby was in range of that feeder, end of story,” Riley said. “But that was a 2-year-old bird, and everyone in the woods would tell you that that’s a legal bird.”

what a joke...corn fed birds and a 2 year old is not going to have a beard visible through the breast........i feel that DFG needs to tighten up on the law about feeding game...it is clear that you "cannot knowing feed big game".....but it is perfectly legal to feed upland game (up till a certain time frame to hunt them)....too much room for interpretation...it needs to be more cut a dry, IMO...

they need to pull their guide license

Bullfrog 31581

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
what a joke...corn fed birds and a 2 year old is not going to have a beard visible through the breast........i feel that DFG needs to tighten up on the law about feeding game...it is clear that you "cannot knowing feed big game".....but it is perfectly legal to feed upland game (up till a certain time frame to hunt them)....too much room for interpretation...it needs to be more cut a dry, IMO...[/b]
I was confused about that part. Can you use feeders in any circumstance for any animals in California?

In Florida we can use feeders year round for most game animals. However, we cannot kill turkeys over bait, and a hunter must sit at least 100 yards away from bait or a bait station to kill a turkey.

mc2212

Reaction score
Come to Tehama County on vacation, leave on probation. LOL.

Metdawg44

Reaction score
The Red Bank hunt club, which is leased from a local rancher, charges $550 for a turkey hunt,

WOW! $550 to have the chance to kill a turkey. Amazing.

Kentuck

Reaction score
No feeders allowed in CA. Two year-old birds should have visible beards. "Jakes" are one year old birds and usually have up to three inch beards. As to why this bird did not have a visible beard, nobody but those that were there know. Maybe the kid shot it off. Who knows. Most news reports are probably lucky to have 25% of what was told them in the actual article.

QuackWhacker

Reaction score
This just sucks....!

There is no excuse for this! They have the feeders, they know where they are, they know (or should know) the laws and they can't (or don't) choose to follow them.

I've shot sporting clays there in the past but if this is true, I'll never go there again. I belong to a local Rod & Gun Club that regulary visits this operation for a sporting clays shoot and we bring 30-35 shooter at a time. I will recommend that this ends immediately if this is true...and I can't see how in this case it wouldn't be.

God I hate crap like this!

QuackWhacker

shovelerslayer

Reaction score
Kentuck,

When I was helping release birds in Tuolumne County we cut the beards off to prevent the gobblers being shot the first season of the release. Several of those birds were seen the next year without a beard. Bottom line is "no beard, no shoot".

I have had to let several toms walk because I could never get a look at their beard.

Kentuck

Reaction score
Shovelslayer,

I've heard that is done. I actually had to let a bird go once becuase I couldn't see a beard. It didn't strut but it was definately a gobbler. Found out later that trimming the beards was usually done on planted/transplanted birds.

ducslayer

Reaction score
Is the guide at falt if he tells you"No more sprig!you are at your limit!" and you jump up & shoot one? No!,Is the guide at falt if he says not a fork don't shoot! and you think hes wrong & kill it? No!.You are at falt just as a turkey has no beard & you shoot it.IMHO the guide should get nailed to the wall for baiting & if he told the kid to shoot he was wrong but the Dad & the Kid should know the Regs and are in the wrong............Jim

Cold1nhand

Reaction score
It's a shame that this guide ruined what of have one of this boys greatest childhood memories. We all remember our first hunts and most charish them. This kid has had something taken from him that can never be replaced. I can only hope that he realizes that the game warden was doing his job, and can understand what they were doing was wrong.

JNDEER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kentuck @ Apr 3 2008, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No feeders allowed in CA. Two year-old birds should have visible beards. "Jakes" are one year old birds and usually have up to three inch beards. As to why this bird did not have a visible beard, nobody but those that were there know. Maybe the kid shot it off. Who knows. Most news reports are probably lucky to have 25% of what was told them in the actual article.[/b]

not 100% true...you CAN feed quail, turkey, other birds etc.....u CANNOT hunt over feed nore can you hunt were feed was within so many days...i want to say ten days or something like that...

SCREWLOOSE

Banned
Reaction score
Doesn't Red Bank put on a week long camp for kids teaching hunters education/ethics and outdoor skills? I don't know that they still do it but I believe they used to and it was around $500 bucks for the week. And after you did the first week you could go back for advanced training. I think it was Red Bank if not someone can correct me.

chirohunter

Reaction score
Screwloose,
You are correct, they did have that youth hunter safety program. I have 3 nephews who went through that program, each at the age of 12. It was great in teaching them pistol, rifle, shotgun, and archery safety...as well as hands on experience with each. I am not sure if they still offer the program, my nephews are now 18 and up.

This is too bad for that 11 year old kid...not to mention bad for the hunting community's reputation.

Advertisement

Top Bottom