Tiger that got shot in CA. got its candlight vigil

airgun hunter

Reaction score
Vigil protests tiger shooting

Hundreds mourn big cat, cry foul

By Angie Valencia-Martinez and Eric Leach, Staff Writers

MOORPARK -- Hundreds of people lit candles and sang "The tiger sleeps tonight" in a sunset vigil Friday near the spot where a tiger was shot to death after weeks of roaming the hills near the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.
Some in the crowd dressed in tiger costumes or came with faces painted like the exotic cat. Others carried candles shaped like tiger heads or large, stuffed tiger toys. And an orange-and-black-striped cross and flower arrangements featuring tiger lilies were left near the spot where the tiger died Wednesday morning.

At one spot was a tiger mask with a sign that read, "No Brain. All Brawn. Killing the Cat was Wrong."

"I'm heartbroken. I'm angry. I'm disappointed. I lost faith in the human race," said Dorann La Perch, a Moorpark woman there with her 80-year-old mother, Mildred, in a wheelchair.

The vigil, attended by about 400, drew people from throughout Los Angeles and Ventura counties, many who mourned the big cat that was shot as it ran through the chaparral-covered hills between Highway 23 and Miller Park, where Friday's event was held.

The tiger was shot Wednesday morning after more than a week of searching by California Department of Fish and Game officers and federal trackers who had spotted hundreds of the animal's paw prints between the Reagan Library and the outskirts of Camarillo.

Federal Department of Agriculture officers shot the cat after authorities determined that it would be too dangerous to use a tranquilizer gun, said Fish and Game officials who supervised the operation.

At Friday's vigil, Dawn Lowenberg of Moorpark called the wildlife officials "trigger-happy."

Linda Hines-Slattery of Simi Valley blamed the animal's owners for not helping in its capture.

"But (the California Department of) Fish and Game did not give the tiger a chance. Two wrongs don't make a right."

Two Moorpark College students, Christian Fiscus, 19, and Andrew Onderstal, 18, expressed an opposing point of view, carrying signs saying "Why don't you cry about something important?" and "How many died in Iraq today? Where's their candles?"

"People need to put some perspective on it," said Fiscus.

Earlier Friday, local government leaders and law enforcement officials gathered in Thousand Oaks at a meeting held by state Assemblywoman Audra Strickland, R-Thousand Oaks, to help answer questions over the tiger's death.

Fish and Game officials announced partial results of an examination of the dead tiger, saying it weighed 352 pounds, instead of more than 400 as they believed before. Yet it was not emaciated with hunger, although its stomach was virtually empty, they said.

It did have fur in its intestines, indicating that it had eaten something recently, said Mike Wintemute, who attended Strickland's meeting.

"We're getting hundreds of calls from the public about how this was handled," Wintemute said. "But we feel this was a successful operation. No one was hurt. ... That (tiger) was a significant threat to the community."

4wayhunter

Reaction score
I wonder if they would hold a vigil if that tiger had his claws and teeth sunk into human flesh.

Common Sense

Reaction score
The candle-light vigil was wrong, think of the "green-house effect" all those candles gave off.

wello

Banned
Reaction score
Was that a direct play on "The lion sleeps tonight"?, You know the famous old song that goes like ...a waaaahooo...a webble walks a weeble walks a.....etc. ..you know and their not supposed to fall down!

seriously though..great song, I dig it deep and hard. Hijacked by anti's so it seems now..what a shame...

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
IDIOTS!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The candle-light vigil was wrong, think of the "green-house effect" all those candles gave off.[/b]

Hunter29

Reaction score
Gott im Himmel. Heaven forbid if that tiger had mauled someone, or worse, a child. I think the wildlife officials made the right call by taking the big cat down.

Orygun

Reaction score
They would still protest because:

1. A pig is a dog is a rat is a boy

2. Too many people on the planet, especially resource wasting Americans

3. Kicki8ng
(No tiger smiley). The animal rights/humane org groups will milk this for all the money/PR they can.

Reaction score
One time...just one time, I would like to see the DFG just let one go loose into a group of anti's and then see how they feel after one or more of their own gets eaten. Although.....something tells me that these people are so deep into their "incorrect" thinking that losing some of their own might be a worthy sacrifice to them!!!!!!

The anti's are "that" group of people that you can always count on to incessantly moan and groan no matter which action is taken. They are professional whiners who having nothing else in their sorry miserable lives to give them fulfillment. Unfortunately for the rest of the "sane" world, we have to tolerate these idiots.

It's up to us all right thinking people to stand up and make "PC" un-cool! Believe me..there are more of us than there are of them!!

airgun hunter

Reaction score
One time...just one time, I would like to see the DFG just let one go loose into a group of anti's and then see how they feel after one or more of their own gets eaten. Although.....something tells me that these people are so deep into their "incorrect" thinking that losing some of their own might be a worthy sacrifice to them[/b]
We could arrange that for them or we could start a new reality show. Where we release a bunch of vegans in a 30 acre plot with 5 starving tigers that way they can admire the beautiful tiger while it chews on their foot. Down here though it would be 30 acres of swampland filled with 14 foot alligators.

RVRKNG

Reaction score
I an blue in the face from talking to these
morons. They have no common sense! They just think what they want & to hell with the facts.

Reaction score
We could arrange that for them or we could start a new reality show. Where we release a bunch of vegans in a 30 acre plot with 5 starving tigers that way they can admire the beautiful tiger while it chews on their foot. Down here though it would be 30 acres of swampland filled with 14 foot alligators[/b]
I'd watch it!!!!

Freedivr2

Reaction score
Yeah, but nobody was blaming the fool who lost the Tiger, were they?

Excuse me, did I miss something? Was that cat declawed or defanged? Wasn't hungry either was it? Then it was probably safe to be around....NOT.....

The cat was 50 ft. from the freeway when he was dispatched. No telling how many people he could've killed via being a tranquilized roadkill. The Fish and Game did the right thing, all things considered. This was a wild tiger in an urban environment, not a good combo.

All those crying meatballs wouldn't have said a thing if that tiger had killed a child before they took him out.

Top Bottom