Time Clock?

yurmomma

Reaction score
Is there a way to use a clock to turn the unit on/off during the day. I want to be able to turn the unit off at around 9 am and back on again in the afternoon. Could an alarm clock be used to do this? My other alternative is to use a thermostat to turn it off when the temp rises and back on again when it falls. I would rather use a clock though if possible.

Thanks

Jeff

www.desertbull.com/photos.htm

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
Not sure about the clock thing but there is someone here that has used a thermostat
cant remember who it is though.

homer

Reaction score
Maybe this would work for you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        http://www.intermatic.com/consumer/ss7c.htm

whitetailfan

Reaction score
It appears to me that, that timer needs at least 120VAC to function. The only way that I could see it working otherwise is if it has a self powered clock and then it uses a battery. I see that it has a battery backup but that usually just helps keep the time. Even then, it may need more voltage to operate the relays inside. Not really looked at this model much. I was wondering if maybe you could buy one of these cheap battery powered clocks with dual alarms and pop it open and access the realys and reroute them from the speaker to the camera inhibit circuit on the board. What do ya think??? Seems pretty simple.

(Edited by whitetailfan at 7:31 pm on June 3, 2002)

kmitch

Reaction score
The crude way to do a clock is to use one of the 24 hour clock movements from, I believe, Klock Kits. Put a disk on the hour hand drive with pins around the perimeter to operate a microswitch. Some of the low end deer feeders use this.

For more $ Grasslin sells a digital electronic timer that several of the deer feeder companies buy and have private labeled that has up to six times which can be programmed. I have some deer feeders I used these for. They are really neat.

If you used an alarm clock, I suspect you would need one alarm to turn the camera off in the AM and the second to turn on in the PM. I hacked into one to use as a feeder timer but it was a single event per 24 hours. I have not seen any cheap battery operated alarm clocks with two alarm set points, but I have not done a market survey.

The switch from the clock would need to interrupt the output to the camera shutter. If it powered the PIR down it would snap a picture when it went through the warm-up routine on re-start.

I would be curious how a thermostat would work. Seems like the sensing element would have to be outside the enclosure since the enclosure would retain the heat after the sun goes down.

Keith

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I hope somebody comes up with an easily obtainable clock that would work for us, not only could it shutdown the camera during hot spells but could also be used for nite-time or day-time only pix's.  Some of the clock requirements would have to be like the cameras,  easily tapped into and be battery efficient.  It would have to allow 2 events to occur within 24 hours, like you guys said, and have a recurring alarm system,  you know, like Arch programs his VCR to Record his Soaps every day at the same time    :redfaced:

The guy who experimented with Thermostats was Richard Webb.  He either got too hot experimenting with the thermostat or got shocked too many times by the Flash Capacitor but he managed to get himself banned from the Forum.

Here is one link where he and others discuss the thermostat:  Too Bad the pix's are not available anymore, he had some pix's of the thermostat installed (outside the unit, I think, like kmitch said)

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/cgi-bin/i...1&topic=249

Do A search for Thermostat because it will come up several times in different posts.....

Tinhorn

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
Brian has a clock he gets for $24 that has several events.  4 I think.  He posted about it a while back on day/night options.  It will work good according to him.  Do a search or I'm sure he will answer this posts in a little while.

Coues

Reaction score
I would like a clock, but not for $24. It doesn't need to be accurate, just reliable. I think the temp sensor would work, even inside the box. Just put some small vent holes in the box and cover with wire cloth to keep the critters out. I have to do something, I am getting about 20 false triggers for every real one.

kmitch

Reaction score
I was also getting a lot of false triggers. I finally figured out I was mounting to trees which sway in the wind. I think in the FAQ they recommend trees no samller than 7-8" dia. I've thought about making a light weight tripod for those locations where no suitable tree is available. However, I would have to sacrifice the security of having the camera chained to the tree.

One other thing I found to produce photos with no game is a PIR with a wider detection field that the camera lens. I know the MS20's out of the box are like this.

I think one of the quartz clocks at $7.95 with a microswitch and a cam is probably the low buck way to get there from here. This is a link to Klockits

http://www.klockit.com/product.asp?sku=BBB...819221321337810

Keith

Archilochus

Reaction score
Days of our Lives... Oooohhh, my FAVORITE!! :)

>>>
The appliance timers - like the ones from Intermatic, switch 120 or 220VAC, but the actual timer runs off a single "AA" batt. Rip out all the line voltage stuff and just use the timer portion.  I've used one from Rat Shack (61-1060) - works great, but does need some interfacing to have the 1.5 volt appliance timer "talk" to the 5 volt PIR/timer.  Price is a bit steep at >20US$, but it does offer a lot of programming options.  Temp range isn't too good at minimum of +32F.

Not familiar with the cheap dual alarm clocks - but I really doubt they use relays.  Sounds like an interesting possibility though.  Got any part #s??

Archilochus

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Brian gave me a contact a while back for a timer out of a feeder I have the info. at home. But you need two alarms, one to turn it on and one to turn it off. The only bad thing as mentioned above is that they are $24.

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
OK guys.  
After the first time we discussed this I pulled out some of the old stuff and I think I may have a somewhat less expensive way of doing the alarm.

I built a feeder a long time ago using a Westclox alarm clock like you buy at wal-mart.  I need two of them one for the morning feed time and one for the evening feed time.  It is still working to this day.  It runs off one of the small 1.5 volt batteries for ever.

One problem is you needed two clocks.  They sell for about $9.95 each and you needed two.  You only get two alarms with this and you need support circuitry to make it work.  So the $25 clock with six alarms built for feeders was a better solution.

I have recently thought of a way that might let me get away with one alarm clock for something like the on/off of a deer camera or feeder.

The accuracy of the Westclox is awesome.  They will keep really accurate time.  I planned on using one of the alarm clocks to set the first off time then using the refresh as a clock tick so to speak to keep up with the time to turn it off.  The inaccuracy of the PIC will be minimized this way since the PIC will only have to keep time until that evening when you want it to turn back on again.  So the Westclox will always keep the loop sycronized from day to day with little to no error.

One problem would be adjusting the off time since the PIC would calculate this time using the first alarm as a reference.

This might be a cheaper solution.

Once again I would be trying to use the eight pin chip for this.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom