Time for the easy Life, Going fishing

OPAH

I have tried all the tip of pole strike alerts, but these are by far the best I have ever used.
when ever the line tightens a alarm goes off, (close to a car alarm) with a blinking LED.
will wake the dead or drunk.

Bubblehide

In southern cal, I fish trout with an open bail. Shoot me your number, I'll call you and explain why and how. But in the mean time, a picture is worth a thousand words.

OPAH

Sure will what keeps the pole from going beybey? we'll talk here soon.
I get the open reel and the Bobber on the line allows the trout to run and set.
I would have to put a leash on it, had a boat catch my line on one of my Cat poles and it was like a rocket out of the cradle, Luckily a snapping turtle got tangled up in its line when I caught it on the other pole, reeled in the snapper and my los cat pole!
was very lucky that day

Last edited:

OPAH

Well a little about the Mojave Narrows, 100 yrds from a main Santa Fe rail road tracks, trains ever 15 minutes or more, lakes are more like ponds, the lied about which pond was stocked or if any were stocked. 40 X 3 for the space, 8 per day per person to fish grand total
$168,00 to fish in a swimming pool except my swimming pool is a thousand time cleaner.
Positives: I got to try every rig I new or could dream up, I had a complete run thru of my tackle box, kinda reminded me of some of the CR's tributaries, and absolutely no park official DFG bothered us. Fishing was posted from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, I fished 24 hrs from Friday to Sunday, the Trains with the Chuga chuga chuga kinda helped me sleep, Hot showers were nice.
and a wild the best I could describe Dingo scrounging around at night, awesome intimidating looking animal but was totally none threatening, in fact it was like we were not even there, paid us no mind at all walked in to the camp sniffed around and walked out.
Relaxing, Relaxing, OH did I mention Monica came up and spent 3 days with us, Very nice Girl, easy to talk to, very independent, has a ton of self esteem and every bit as pretty as the pictures. We had a very good time despite the lack of fish in the lake.
Rating 1 - 10 10 being best For Camping 6, fishing 0, just to get away some place close 8.
Hey Bubble I kinda improvised on the Mice tail rig you told me about, The ones I had were only a couple inches long and even with the mosquito hooks they wouldn't float? so I cut the head off of another one and ran the line thru it and used it as the bumper bead for the slide weight, worked out great at least in practice

Bubblehide

Sounds like a successful trip, at least the intended chillaxin part. Next time I go trout fishing, I'll let you know; if you can join me, I'll show you how to get those mice tails to float.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Thanks for the report opah, u got to hang out with Monica u lucky dog it's always cool to meat another jho member abd share the same intrest and good times for sure.
When i get home I will show u the correct way with pics to rig up a floating power bate set up for trout.
But u use your slip sinker with your line running through it to the clasp. Now another important factor is how long your lead should be to float of the bottom with the bait. It depends how much vegetation growth is on the bottom of a pond or lake. If there's really no seaweed it's mostly sand and rock bottom u run a short lead maybe around 8 in. If there's seaweed or vegetation around 8 to 12 in. off the bottom u have to make your lead is longer to float above that with the bait so the fish will find it.
Another major factor to successful lake or pond trout fishing is water temp, trout line water temps around 56-66 degrees they don't really like cruising around in 72 water but planters will if they hungry and have too. So water temps flip from summer to winter, in the summer the bottom layer is cooler and the top water is warmer and in the winter the bottom layer is warmer and the top water is cooler so that gives u a hint what water level layer the trout are cruising.
So what I do to figure out where the trout are is I cast 1 pole a few yards of the bank and I cast the seconed pole 40-60 yrds of the bank which ever pole starts getting the hits that's where u concentrate with both poles and start banging them in.
Now I was a hard core lake trout fisherman mostly planters so I know there habits and likes and dislikes very well.
The most success as far as using lures was cast masters and mepps multi color spinners.
As far a power bate success with a floating rig set up there's 2 set ups that work great.
First I am going tell u why your set up didn't work the hook was to heavy with your bait so it wouldn't float of the bottom. We always use I believe #8 gold treble hooks they are very small and light and will float with the power bait set up.
U take 1 power bate tail and rig it on one of the three treble points then u get 2 power eggs and hook one egg to one point and the other egg to the other point then when it's floating it looks like a worm with two eyes. The best color combo for the power tail and power egg set up on the treble is green tail with white eyes (eggs) or white tail and green eyes (eggs ) or yellow tail with white eyes or white tail with yellow eyes. Like I said when I get home later I will add pics of that set up.
Then with the same slip sinker and tiny treble set up the power bate paste chartreuse rainbow glitter works great for trout u mold a little marble size of that on the treble to cover the treble and that will float off the bottom and they luv that set up too.
now the real trick to get the trout to hit the power bait set up and more guaranteed is I always dip the baits in fish cod oil belive me it works well it sticks to the power bait ball when u dip it in then when it's in the water it slowly spreads in the water like a trail and the trout key into the oil slick and hit hard. I have brought in 16lb. trout on those little treble hooks no problem.
Oh and another reason sometimes the bait set up doesn't float because the line might be too heavy also, I used 8 lb. Test mostly but 6lb is good too just have to tire the trout out before u bring them in or the big ones will snap the line.
Another thing planters have a habit of doing the day they are planted is they will cruise along the banks in big groups till they get oriented maybe for a couple days so u can track them along the banks too.
Now this is a fact too most of the time the day or two after the planters are stocked in the lakes or ponds they are disoriented from the long trip and they won't hit the baits or lures till they get adjusted to the water temps and elevation change from where they where riased.
Alot of fisherman will tell u they sedate the trout planters for their trip in the delivery transport tankers so they dont go into shock they from the trip but that's not true what they do is super chill the water in the transporter trucks to slow their matabilizim and keep them in low activity for the trip and not stress them.
Now during the summer when the water is really hot in the seventies and now imagine they drop the super chilled trout planters from the transport truck in the warm water it really messes with the trouts orientation and metabolism and takes them a little time to adjust and get normal and start hitting the baits and lures.
So my friend this is a little 101 on fishing cali lake and pond planters I hope this helps u the next time out.
In nor cal there's two different main trout planter sources, dfg planters and Mt. Lassen planters. Dfg planters are mostly 1lbr size the Lassen planters run 2 to 20 pounds in size, when u look at the lakes planting schedule usually will will tell u if they are dropping dfg or Lassen planters.
Lassen trout are so good too, like I said I hooked forgotten mega amount of trout in cali my freezer was always full and I was giving away trout like crazy, ah miss trout fishing in cali....tra

P.s. as far as fresh bait that worked really great for trout was small raw shrimp, trout will hit that too and the bonus is that if there are any catfish around they will hit it too...

Last edited:

OPAH

Thank you for the info, looking forward to the pics
but you are correct about them swimming close to the bank just as we were packing up every thing and 4 year old kid tossed his line out it only went about 3 foot and Bam he pulled out a little trout, some thing we would have tossed back but then again he pulled one out.
I did get the small mosquito hooks, but even then they were a little to heavy, I finally dug out some #8 tiny brass trebles and they worked great.
But what I did like was putting my slider weigh one and just a bead or in this case a head from another mice tail between the weigh and Hook, then I was able to feed or pull in line for the depth of the bait.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Yeh i always put a bead on ea. Side of the slider line sinker, another thing to remember no lead sinkers and sliders u have to use stainless which cost more of course, dfg will get u for the lead...tra

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Here u go opah this is how I rig a tiny treble to float in the water with a power tail and power eggs.
And like I said dipping your power bait in fish cod oil get the trout to key in with there other senses beside site especially when the water is not clear at all it helps.....tra

quailman

I do something similar but use a small ball of power bait and tip with large red worm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OPAH

All good, Hopefully Friday I'll be able to get back out, will put into practice get away from the main stream crowd, and get the power worms rigged correctly this time. I'll let you all know how It goes

MariotheBarber

Opah, I've fished the narrows and hesperia lake a good amount. At mohave narrows you got the two lakes, horseshoe and pelican. Pelican has cats, trout, and bass that hang out in the reeds on the right side. Horseshoe lake only has trout and cats. The catfish seem to quit biting from mid-november until about march, Ive gone catfishing there in winter but can't seem to get any bites, with anything (shrimp, cutbait, catfish nuggets). With the trout at horseshoe, you need to use a size 16 treble hook with green or orange powerbait and a long leader, Ive yet to have any luck with panter martin lures or roostertails in there but a buddy got a trout on a small rapala lure, but that was only once. The only problem with the narrows is that if you dont get there super early, pelican lake is usually too crowded. I prefer horseshoe because its more spread out. I went to horseshoe a couple sundays back, but got skunked...

OPAH

I was at the narrows the 16th - the 19th, same thing tried everything and got Nothing at Horse shoe. Even walked over to the same lake pelican? and no one got anything there after 3 hours I figured at least I should be close to the Beer if I'm not going to catch anything?

OPAH

But yes TRA the two power eggs and the tail work really good, at least In my pool was able to cast them out In the 12 foot section of my pool and play with the split pea to adjust the leader length and all looked real great.
I tried bot the Fish oil and the Garlic oil and didn't get anything but then again no one got anything until the last day a 4 year old thru his line in about 3 foot max and caught and little trout.
But I am ready for the next time, Thank you Bubble and TRA between the two of you I did come up with couple really nice set ups!!!

Top Bottom