Time to Reflect...

gizz

Reaction score
While involving myself in a debate over PIR's recently, I suddendly realized what I was actually getting involved in. How dare I get involved in a debate over the work that OTHERS have done that now allows me to build a trailcam for $100?

I'm positive, and Spectr, Tinhorn, and many others can probably confirm, that countless hours and $$$ have been invested on developing a materials list and instructions that allow us to build our own cams for a fraction of the cost of a commercial unit. I feel I've always respected the Research and development that has gone into making one of these and when someone else discounts this work as "cheap" and a "waste of time" I get a little offended. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit but even so I think we all need to think about where we'd be if the very unselfish people that started this project would've decided to keep it to themselves. Afterall, they figured it all out - we're just using THEIR plans.
Small problems and minor setbacks are to be expected - this is homebrew afterall! If you find something that improves the design then by all means post it. If, on the other hand you have a bad experience, post it as well and try to find a solution. Don't just call it "cheap" and "a waste of time" because it doesn't fit your needs. Someone spent a lot of time and money figuring it out and we need to respect that.
Imagine the many PIR's, Cameras, Components, and DE-Soldering Wick that have been wasted trying to figure this thing out from the start.

For the record I have always been appreciative of the hard work, effort, and charitable$$ that went into figuring out all these PIR's, Cameras, Components, etc.....

I'm sorry if I offended anyone but I needed to redeem myself and get this off my chest......I will not be debating this issue again.

(Edited by gizz at 8:24 am on Aug. 31, 2001)

wapiti

Reaction score
I guess I missed the debate?  I think "cheap" is a compliment and the intent of homebrew cams anyway.

I really enjoy this site and the reason is the tremendous amount of information and the lack of bickering and moaning.

Surely we will never get in debates over who's is the fastest, smallest, camoest, or most(or least) sensitive.  The important thing is, thanks to the information available here, I did it, you did it, we all are doing it, and by gosh it works!  That to me makes it better than any commercial unit available.

Brotherwolf

Reaction score
I missed the debate too, anyway I'd like to thank Spectr and the others for sharing their knowledge with the world with his webpage. If he wouldn't  have shared with us I know that I would have never had a trail cam, I couldn't justify spending 450.00 for a CamTrakker. I spent a little over a 100.00 to "build" my own! The fun part was tearing apart the camera and soldering and just the whole part of building it myself. It's like, look what I did!

glen71

Reaction score
I am new to the site and am building my first cam. I certainly agree that the time, dedication, money, and unselfishness of others has made it possible for me to build (I hope) my own trailcam. Nothing that I or anyone else have posted can change that fact.
As a newbie and an electronics novice, I am sometimes frustrated at my inability to distinguish the proven techniques from those just being "brainstormed" by the brighter and more creative folks around here. I guess I am too impatient and eager to build the "latest and greatest" version. Thanks to all who take pity on me and answer my sometimes dumb questions.

wvhunter

Reaction score
I too would like to thank everybody for sharing the information that has been freely given here.  Because without this site (and tndeer.com) I wouldn't have a cam.

Many thanks to all!!  :TST

gizz

Reaction score
Just to clarify a bit...
What I'm referring to as debate was more of what I saw as the Beginning of a debate over the different PIR's, mainly the MS20 vs RS. I think it was more of a freindly type debate between Richard and I but I started to see it growing into a "my PIR is better than your PIR" thing and I wanted to make sure it didn't get ugly. Better to stop it now rather than wait til it got nasty.
Debating the weaknesses and strengths of one particular component vs another is healthy and should continue as long as it's constructive.

Possum

Reaction score
I hope my contribution to the debate (which I didn't realize was happening) wasn't taken the wrong way.  I like all the designs of the cams that our predecessors have cut, burned, and shocked fingers and limbs to develop.  I love my cam and everyone that sees it wants one.  I think each design has a place and  even commercial cams have drawbacks.  
I wish we could do a study on how many cams there are out there due to Jesses page.  I think I will start a Post on how many cams have been made in honor of the first Cam Homebrewers.

jayber

Reaction score
Gizz,
I think the discussions you are referring to are the same thread in which I offered my 2 cents.  And I didn't see it as a 'debate', but merely individuals giving there input as to what sensor they use and the merit for their choice.  I don't think we can say this person is right or that person is wrong.  We're just here trying to help others like those before us helped us.   :TST

(Edited by jayber at 9:14 am on Aug. 31, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Yes, the MS20 bashing was getting to me too and I was starting to feel a little insulted sometimes.  The bashing seems to have escalated and I agree with Gizz, we need to not go too overboard and create any (more) hard feelings.  

I'm probably quilty of not defending the MS20 as much as Gizz and am sorry for that, don't want him to think he is alone in the "Battle" (over-statement)

I usually just don't respond to things I don't like, at least, I don't respond too aggresivley, I hope, and try not too, but even this makes me feel a little guilty sometimes

Lets go get a beer guys and slough it off (or at least a Pepsi)

Your Friend, Tinhorn

Welby

Reaction score
You know, when I think back to early December of last year when I first became a part of this group, it blows my mind how far and wide this has become.  Even then when I got on board, others had already propelled this project from ground zero to stratospheric proportions.  I wish I could remember all the names of the guys that started this, but I can't.  But, I am really grateful for their dedication, the time and all the money they invested for me to learn how to build a trail camera.

I thought for a long time that it couldn't be that difficult to use a PIR from a security device and hook it up to a camera, but I just didn't know how.  Then, one day by chance I ran into a feller by the name of spectr17 who guided me to the TN Deer forum where the project was already growing into epic proportions.  With the information that was already provided there, and on this spectr17's personal website, Jesse's Hunting Page,  I found a wealth of information that made the project very simple and easy, and the excitement has not since died.

Because I could not offer any electronics advice, I tried to help in other ways by throwing some crazy ideas into the mix (that may or may not have been useful) and by providing illustrations to simplify the explanation of certain aspects of camera building.  The illustrations I provided were not of my own design, but they were based on the knowledge already shared by so many others.

Since then, our group has grown in leaps and bounds.  For the knowledge that paved this road, we owe much gratitude to those who spent a lot of money and time buying different components, tearing them apart, modifying them, and sometimes having to start all over again.  And then in the end, charging nothing for their expertise, labor and expenses.  For that, a simple thank you is not enough.

JohnnyP, Eagle Eye, Yotee, Blackwater, Spectr17, Tinhorn and the others:  Thank you for bringing this knowledge to us.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!  I wish I could remember all the others, but unfortunately, I can't.  You know who you are.

Since then, there have been others who have brought with them new ideas and innovations, and I thank you too.  (Gizz, I think you broke new ground with the video cam, way before I ever saw a commercial model advertised.  Way to go!)

It started off with various sensors, but the MS20 became the "mainstay" for awhile, until the RS PIR was discovered.  We went from the Owl Snappy to the Owl Sure Shot AF and finally to the PF, with a few other brands and models thrown in as well.  Timers were added along the way, and now some are taking that even further....much further.  What will these homebrew cams be like one year from now?  Will we force the big companies that make them to finally lower the prices on them so that the average working man can afford them ready made?  It is possible.

Finally, on the subject of the MS20 vs the RS PIR:  the MS20 is the most used sensor of any kind that has been used for this project, and for good reason.  It has been the least expensive and easiest to modify PIR of any available so far.  And, it's been relatively easy to attain.  As for me, it's the only one I use.

In conclusion, it's been a fun ride being a part of this camera group.  The founders of this group have no doubt spent an awesome amount of money and time (and patience) bringing this knowledge to us for free.  Thank you for that.  But, it is important to also note that another huge thank you is in order.  This one to Jesse, Mr. Spectr17.

Not only has Jesse also provided some technical know-how, but his effort in bringing it altogether in one place has been wonderful.  Jesse has in effect been the manager of this whole project as he has not only organized all the information into one wonderful website, but he has personally answered countless numbers of emails on a daily basis.  Not only that, but he also provided for us free of charge our own personal place to communicate and get along.  Jesse, thank you.  We really couldn't have done it without you.

Gizz, I guess I have really went too far.  Being a Southerner, I am prone to being longwinded and highly opinionated.  Sorry.  But, I think what you are really feeling (now I really sound like a Democrat, don't I?) is the value of this project  through the efforts of all the others.  That's why you have taken it so personally.  And, I don't fault you for it at all.  I agree with you wholeheartedly.  It is apparent to me that you appreciate what has been given here and that you are loathe to allow others to take it for granted.  My hat's off to you as well.

Thanks for your time.

Welby

P.s.  I ain't no stinkin' Democrat either.  I just had to clear that up.

(Edited by Welby at 11:37 pm on Aug. 31, 2001)

Buckoholic

Reaction score
I would like to put my two cents in on this topic.

I have been online for over 5 years. I have searched the web hard to find a place that I would enjoy going to, to find information on all different aspects of hunting and the likes. I have to say that since joining this forum in early April I have found my web home. I love getting online to see what the fellow hunters and outdoor enthusiasts are thinking up next. The chance to openly talk to many people that share my interests in life is awesome. I too would like to thank everyone for making this such a great place to come to and share. I have met some really nice people and look forward to meeting many more. I know this is Jesse's site but I am sure he feels like I do when I say it's our site to enjoy. I only hope that if and/or when I make an opinion on a question that everyone understands it is in no way a slam against their way of doing things. It may be that it has worked out well for me to do it that way and may not work as well for others. I learn something new everytime I log on. I think debates are healthy for us all as long as they are handled maturely. After all, it comes down to what each of us likes best anyway. I have only built one camera but have the materials to build three more very soon. I will not be building mine the same as I did the first time because I have learned new tricks and figured out a few flaws that I can improve on from my first camera experiences. That is the beauty of such a site. The sharing of personal experiences is the best part to me. I was incredibly proud when I went to get my first roll at the Walmart counter and realized that the camera did it's job just like I was told it would. To me, this is not a replacement for my first love in outdoor recreation (hunting), but it comes in a very close second. And, if you knew me very well, that is saying a lot. Thanks to the all that have made this site what it is and welcome to all that have just joined in.

goatman

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for an outstanding,working, trail camera. And good luck to all this hunting season. :smiley-thumbs-up:

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone here for their input. I'm proud to be a part of this genius think tank. Now if I could only balance my checkbook.

wfontjr, yoteee drops in when he can, he's very busy in his line of work. We should see more of him when hunting season starts rolling. He does have a webpage if you want to see what's new in pics from yoteeland http://www.telusplanet.net/public/mcmillen/

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been a member for only a short period of time and I am proud to be one.  I hope to make some contributions in the future.  This forum is really neat.  I just wish I had found it earlier.  I found it by chance while bidding on cameras for my style stuff on ebay.  From there I had wrote a email to someone buying a lot of cameras and had asked them if they were building the same thing I was and from there I ended up here.  What a chance encounter.  I love the site and  plan on building some really neat things in the future that I hope will help everyone.

Brian

Advertisement

Top Bottom